Goodbye Jesus

I Want To Get An "atheist" Tattoo

SilentLoner

First tattoo? Get whatever makes you happy. Though, as a first one, I suggest getting something a bit meaningful to you. If not, then that's okay too.

Like others said, since it's small, you can always get it covered up later if you don't like it.

Whatever floats yer boat.

Just stay away from the bone for the first one!

"I've known for nearly all my life I'm going to get some tattoos, the only thing that has delayed me is 1) my mom's anxious paranoia about tattoos and 2)My insistence on a perfect design, since I want them to symbolize important things to me. But I want to start getting them soon."

If you insist on perfection, I would recommend not getting a tattoo. People change their minds over time, and you will too. Whatever tattoo you get, you will wish you got a different one when you get older. Imagine you had gone out and gotten a tattoo when you were 10 years old. Do you think you would have picked a tattoo that you would have liked now? Similarly if you get a tattoo now, in 5-10 years you will be wishing you had something different.

If you're not a perfectionist, you would do better with tattoos. If you can handle the fact that you probably won't like your tattoo much in the future, you would be a better candidate for one.

• Super Moderator

I've been thinking it over. I've considered getting a tat for decades but never acted on it because I might come to hate it after a while. I mean, what if years ago I had gotten a Jesus Died For You cross inked into my arm?

When I thought about an "atheist" tattoo it came to this: the term simply means a lack of belief in gods. I don't see atheism as a belief, religion or cause. It simply clarifies that though some people believe in one god or another, I'm not one of them. The appropriate tattoo for that would be blank.

Maybe a picture of my dog. That's "god" spelled backwards.

"I've known for nearly all my life I'm going to get some tattoos, the only thing that has delayed me is 1) my mom's anxious paranoia about tattoos and 2)My insistence on a perfect design, since I want them to symbolize important things to me. But I want to start getting them soon."

If you insist on perfection, I would recommend not getting a tattoo. People change their minds over time, and you will too. Whatever tattoo you get, you will wish you got a different one when you get older. Imagine you had gone out and gotten a tattoo when you were 10 years old. Do you think you would have picked a tattoo that you would have liked now? Similarly if you get a tattoo now, in 5-10 years you will be wishing you had something different.

If you're not a perfectionist, you would do better with tattoos. If you can handle the fact that you probably won't like your tattoo much in the future, you would be a better candidate for one.

The majority of people do not regret their tattoos, especially, when it has nothing to do with the name of a lover.

Thanks for the advice guys. It'll probably be a while before I make up my mind on the design but I'll likely post here once I get one.

I've always wanted a wrist tattoo but the issue would be covering it up. I like the idea of the first one on my shoulder since I like wearing long sleeves all the time anyways.

I wouldn't do it. Beliefs aren't permanent. Most of us did assume we'd be Christian forever, right? What makes you think you're goingto be an atheist forever?

Not to mention that the symbol looks like a bird track anyway...

Not directly an atheistic symbol, the pansy for freethought, i.e.:

AwardsPansyLg.gif

http://www.ffrf.org/awards/special/

ahahahha! Pansy for freethought! Sorry...that made me laugh pretty hard.

This forum is making me want to get the scarlet letter A stabbed into me.

scarlet_a.jpg

I wouldn't do it. Beliefs aren't permanent. Most of us did assume we'd be Christian forever, right? What makes you think you're goingto be an atheist forever?

Not to mention that the symbol looks like a bird track anyway...

Thanks for the depressing thought. But even in the unlikely scenario that I stop being an atheist, there's no way I would involve myself in xtianity again, that I'm sure of.

I wouldn't get a tattoo because it's just not my thing, but just because beliefs are not permanent doesn't mean it's a bad idea. It just means certain tattoo's are a bad idea.

If I were to have to get a tattoo, I would get one like ixolite posted. Something like that could have meaning to it no matter what your beliefs are. A tattoo with someone's name on it, or with a phrase like "Atheism Rocks!"...chances are you would regret that. Relationships change as you age. Your tone of speech changes as you age. I would avoid things that could make me feel retarded later in life and just get a tattoo that looks cool.

Personally I would get a tiger. Who could regret a tiger? It's just a tiger. Tiger's represent independence and strength, things that will always be important no matter what you believe.

The biggest things I would avoid are getting one where you can't hide it during an interview. Also avoid getting a "tramp stamp". You don't want to send the wrong message, and you don't strike me as the kind of girl who would enjoy sleeze's looking for a one night stand hitting on you.

• 2 months later...

The majority of people do not regret their tattoos, especially, when it has nothing to do with the name of a lover.

You are 29 years old and among the people you hang out with, I suspect most of them do no regret their tattoos. I suspect most of them think they are perfect. However I am 49 years old. Most of the people I talk to who are older than me that have tattoos no longer think there are perfect. Most are embarrassed by them. Most of the younger people I talk to like their tattoos. Only time will tell if they will still like them when they are older and fashions have changed.

Guest TheAmberShow

The sentiment of "atheism being important to you" is why a lot of people claim atheism is a religion. It doesn't make sense to get a tat symbolizing a non-belief. It shouldn't be "important to you", it should just be. If you're on the younger side and/or newly deconverted, I guess you might feel passionately atheist, but chances are you won't be when you're older.

Either way, it's a fine tattoo. You can get it quite small and it will still "read" as the symbol, it's obscure enough to not scream "I'm an atheist!" to everyone who sees it, and it's uncomplicated - no need to seek out a very expensive artist to get it just right.

My oldest daughter has tattoos. Though, thankfully, she takes into account that having visible tattoos may hinder her having a professional job. So, she gets black-light tattoos where a tattoo would be visible.

tattoo8.jpg

I'm going to get a tattoo that shows how I don't collect stamps, because not collecting stamps is the most important thing in my life.

SilentLoner -

It's nobody's business what your motivations are for getting a tattoo. That's entirely up to you. So is the decision to get one at all.

I do echo what others have said about how some kinds of tatt are a bad idea. If there's any question that you might later change your mind enough that you could come to regret an outright atheist tatt, then maybe a more neutral symbol or one that has to do with general ideas about free thought or critical thinking would be good. Like some special symbol that represents intelligence to you (I'd probably get a light bulb going on, for instance) or something like that.

I have one tattoo. It's a Minoan labrys (this one) between my shoulder blades. I got it when I was a pagan. At the time it represented goddess spirituality to me; but I don't regret having gotten it even though I'm an atheist now. I associate it now with an Amazon warrior ethic. So if you get a tatt you can change your mind, but it doesn't have to become a regret, it can just mean something different to you later on.

I also recommend thinking about it. Think of a symbol that you like, and when you come up with a drawing or a design of it, put it up all over your house so you can live with it for awhile. If you still like it after a few months, and aren't totally sick of the sight of it, then chances are good you'll like it later too. Just take your time on it, is what I'd recommend most.

Oh yeah - I probably wouldn't recommend getting something like a picture of Richard Dawkins on your butt. ;)

If you insist on perfection, I would recommend not getting a tattoo. People change their minds over time, and you will too. Whatever tattoo you get, you will wish you got a different one when you get older. Imagine you had gone out and gotten a tattoo when you were 10 years old. Do you think you would have picked a tattoo that you would have liked now?

Oh, man; a Voltron tattoo would have been SO COOL. Instead, I waited, and now I have my wife's name on my shoulder and a roman numeral 13 on the inside of my left arm. If only I got my tattoo when I was 10.

If you insist on perfection, I would recommend not getting a tattoo. People change their minds over time, and you will too. Whatever tattoo you get, you will wish you got a different one when you get older. Imagine you had gone out and gotten a tattoo when you were 10 years old. Do you think you would have picked a tattoo that you would have liked now?

Oh, man; a Voltron tattoo would have been SO COOL. Instead, I waited, and now I have my wife's name on my shoulder and a roman numeral 13 on the inside of my left arm. If only I got my tattoo when I was 10.

I've always been afraid to get a tattoo because I was worried it might go out of style, but you're right: Voltron will NEVER go out of style. So I went out and got one. Isn't it neat?post-209-125081108563_thumb.jpg

Nice; exactly what I would have wanted when I was 10. Try to get that past the wife today, forget it! Looks like I missed my chance.

Nice; exactly what I would have wanted when I was 10. Try to get that past the wife today, forget it! Looks like I missed my chance.

You won't get a tattoo of Voltron because your wife won't let you? A real He-man wouldn't be pushed around by his wife. You should tattoo Votron's Blazing Sword on your prong. Then lay her down, Get your Infracell up, Connect your Dynotherms, and give her a feel of your Megathruster.

• 1 year later...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28297&id=100000245021281&l=dc129597d1

The above is a link to an atheist tattoo album in the making for those still looking for atheist tattoo ideas. Ambigrams also make excellent atheist tattoos.

Heretic + Atheist

Nogod + Pagan

Nogods + Heretics

Nogods + Reason

Science + Atheist

Freedom + Atheist

Militant + Atheism

Atheism + Knights

Skeptics + Atheist

Spaghetti +monsters

All of the above word combinations make excellent ambigram tattoos.

http://www.flipscript.com/ambigram-generator.aspx

To tattoo or not....The prohibition of tattooing is found in the Torah: "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 19:28).

The stripper at the last supper is inspired! Great tats.

Hell I've played WoW for the last four years, its been a blast.

I'm planning on getting a horde tattoo, one my 16th B-day.

3002_pg_1236219479.png

It might cost a bit, but I've met some of my best friends through WoW.

Personally I would get a tiger. Who could regret a tiger? It's just a tiger. Tiger's represent independence and strength, things that will always be important no matter what you believe

This^. It's why I got a wolf tat

right hur ;)

I'm so very glad that I didn't get a tattoo when I was a christian. I considered it a number of times but could never think of something that I would be happy with forever.

I've since considered getting one to represent my atheism or something celtic as I am a celt after all. I don't think the idea of getting a tattoo to express a *non belief* is something to mock or be seen as silly at all. For me it would be a sign of my journey from one position in life to another. I don't just view myself as an *atheist* I view myself as an ex-xian and for me that makes it *different* to just a non belief.

Anyway, silentloner I agree the symbol does look a bit like a bird foot :/ but I don't dislike it!

Holy thread revivals Batman! :HaHa:

Well, I guess I'll update. I decided on what symbol I want - its not atheist-themed but it means a lot to me symbolically. Now the only issue is where I want it (arms probaby). And I'll likely have to wait until I move out of the house since my mom has issues with body art.

Those are great! I love the DNA wristband.