Goodbye Jesus

Cheesy Old X-ian Movies

Mutate

We all know Cross and Switchblade and the Theif in the night series, I'm sure many of us here chuckled at their exploitation acting and cowered at the scary, lurid scenes.

But I remember another 70s movie, I forget the name. It starts off with a praise sing-along by a fireplace, while a boy and girl keep smiling at each other, and they start dating. But the boy goes to a secular college, where he starts reading German philosophy, which he "uses as a crutch". But in the end, ...I think he was in an acciedent and ended up in a wheelchair? And Neitchze didnt offer him peace, so he starts crying and threw the book against the wall. Then he goes back to the bible and his girlfirend took him back.

Well, they are cheesy to me now but at the time things like Ten Commandments, Late Great Planet Earth & Moses seemed pretty good.

I cannot tell you how many times I watched The Ten Commandments as a kid. It was one of the first VHS tapes we got, and I loved it. I must admit though, I have always been very attracted to ancient Egypt (another reason I love Stargate series!), and I would pretend I was Ramses, not moses!

We all know Cross and Switchblade and the Theif in the night series, I'm sure many of us here chuckled at their exploitation acting and cowered at the scary, lurid scenes.

You wanna here something funny? My grandpa was a producer for the Thief in the Night. My mother (via inheritance) still gets royalty checks from some of those Christian movies. Those movies freaked me out as a kid. Looking back, they just look hilariously stupid.

Edit: Wait, I guess it wasn't Thief in the Night. It was "Years of the Beast." I see his name on the list (Elmer Gaede).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243036/fullcredits

Same type of movie, although, I'm almost positive I have seen a Thief in the Night as well.

Well, they are cheesy to me now but at the time things like Ten Commandments, Late Great Planet Earth & Moses seemed pretty good.
I find it cheesy that they're speaking in ye olde English in ancient Egypt in The Ten Commandments but my mother loves that movie for some reason.

I always liked the Ten Commandments movie because of the special effects. At the time it was pretty darn impressive. And it was an epic film, so it was made to feel majestic. Same with Ben Hur. The chariot race and "ramming speed!" are what most people remember.

I only saw one of the cheap evangelical films back in my late teens. It was about a guy that was a martial artist who would beat up his girlfriend, until he got saved and then began preaching. I was already in the fold, so it was just a bit of diversion for one evening.

I still think the Estus Perkle films are the cheesiest. "Does this excite you?"

I've seen Ben Hur and the Prince of Egypt.

I only saw parts of Ben Hur though, it made no sense and I didn't know it was supposed to be an Xian movie until the scene with Jesus.

Does The Exorcist count as a Christian movie?

:cunn:

Does The Exorcist count as a Christian movie?

:cunn:

Catholic maybe, but as for protestant, doubtful.

I don't remember the name of the movie, but it had to do with the Holocaust and a bunch of women in a concentration camp. One of the Jewish women in a concentration camp started to read the Bible and become Christian, then you had a bunch of Nazi guards who acted more like cranky old men rather than than vicious hatemongers. The Christian lady was acting all annoyingly happy even though they were in a bunker with hardly any food or necessities, then she got pneumonia and was sent to a "clinic" to be left to die. One of her friends got permission from a Nazi guy to go and sort out the dead bodies in this "clinic" and she came upon her Christian friend who was still all smiling and talking about Jeebus.

I found this movie to be so sappy and sugarcoated as the Christian lady being all happy happy though the Nazi guards treated her like shit. Right after she died was when these American or French soldiers busted into the camp as if Gawd was rewarding her and her friends for being happy happy though such an environment would tear down even the most optimistic person. At the end of the movie some elderly lady said that she was there and that the sickeningly happy lady was her friend, and that after escaping the concentration camp she converted to Christianity.The thing was so sugarcoated with the woman and her friends being happy all the time and the Nazi guards being depicted more like stern old school headmasters handing out punishments rather than sadistic fuckers, and all the violence was shown off screen where you couldn't see who got injured or killed. Also in the part of the bodies in the "clinic" there were some overweight people playing as dead bodies, which from what I have seen in pictures from Auschwitz people were emaciated from starvation.

I know this wasn't a movie, it was a tv series, but was anyone else forced to sit though "McGee and Me!" as a kid? Doesn't get cheesier than that.

:repuke:

I know this wasn't a movie, it was a tv series, but was anyone else forced to sit though "McGee and Me!" as a kid? Doesn't get cheesier than that.

:repuke:

I was subjected to not only that but also the "Adventures in Odyssey" series which was blatant Focus on the Family propaganda. And when I was even younger, I was forced to watch "Precious Moments" shows where they make the Bible look as innocent as puppies and rainbows. Ugh.

Not that this is exactly xtian, but I saw "Angels and Demons" last night with a couple friends. I haven't read the book but everyone tells me it's a good read. Any thoughts?

Prince Caspian... *urgh*... how cheesy can you make a story before the yellow cheesiness overwhelms your gustatory senses and you regurgitate breakfast?

hehe...Christianity goes after kids with their propaganda hardcore. I was subject to McGee and Me, Narnia books, one of those cute fun kid bibles that only has the popular fairy tales, the songs...ugh, you guys reminded me how into it I was as a kid. Thanks a lot. hehe. Makes me sad to think of all the kids experiencing this crap right now.

Hey, does anyone remember that old show with the big blue bible guy...and they always sang that song, "The B-I-B-L-E, yes that's the book for me". Haha, I watched that a lot and I can't remember what it was.

As for the original topic...the only time I remember seeing Christian movies was at one of the churches we went to for a couple of years. I only remember finding them severely depressing and not at all uplifting. I guess they were actually pretty accurate about the realities of Christianity in that regard. haha.

As for the original topic...the only time I remember seeing Christian movies was at one of the churches we went to for a couple of years. I only remember finding them severely depressing and not at all uplifting. I guess they were actually pretty accurate about the realities of Christianity in that regard. haha.

It seems like a lot of Christian movies shows someone getting killed in one way or another not too long after they convert to the religion as if Gawd like to punish and kill off his followers after they convert.

hehe...Christianity goes after kids with their propaganda hardcore. I was subject to McGee and Me, Narnia books, one of those cute fun kid bibles that only has the popular fairy tales, the songs...ugh, you guys reminded me how into it I was as a kid. Thanks a lot. hehe. Makes me sad to think of all the kids experiencing this crap right now.

Though my cousins weren't allowed to watch TV their parents bought them cassette tapes of McGee and Me ( or was that Adventures in Odyssey from that perverted old sadistic fuck James Dobson?) and some other xtian kids' radio shows. Once they bought me a few of these cassettes and some Christian rock music when I was fourteen, and I listened to them only once and found them to be quite cheesy. When my aunt and uncle asked me what happened to the tapes I just told them they broke as I like the shows so much I played them every day.

The truth is that the xtian music tapes snapped from repetitive play as I went on a secret praying binge for a few nights, and played the music while I prayed for hours on end. The kids' show cassettes were given to another aunt so she could take them to her church for a toy drive for the orphanage her church sponsored. Funny thing is that the orphanage was in Mexico, but my grand aunt said her church didn't care if the cassettes were in English just as long as they were xtian. :HaHa:

Does anyone remember those cheesy Christian anime series The Flying House and Superbook? They were these kid's anime about these kids who traveled back in time and had adventures with Jesus. I only saw it a few times when I was a kid.

Does anyone remember those cheesy Christian anime series The Flying House and Superbook? They were these kid's anime about these kids who traveled back in time and had adventures with Jesus. I only saw it a few times when I was a kid.

I had some Christian neighbors a few years ago who said they didn't allow their kids to watch anime because of the "naked ladies and satanism" but let their kids watch SuperBook and Flying House and thought these were American cartoons because of the Christian themes. Also for some weird reason despite their complaint of the sex and violence in anime they let their kids ( three kids ages five, nine, and eleven) play M rated video games like Grand Theft Auto. :rolleyes:

I still have a bit of a soft spot for Veggie Tales...hehe. But no way would I ever let my potential children watch it. It, like most kid stuff, makes Yawhew look soft and fuzzy...and like he has a good sense of humor. Wrong, wrong, wrong...

I still have a bit of a soft spot for Veggie Tales...hehe. But no way would I ever let my potential children watch it. It, like most kid stuff, makes Yawhew look soft and fuzzy...and like he has a good sense of humor. Wrong, wrong, wrong...

I used to have Veggie Tales stationery when I was a teenager as I wrote to a lot of pen pals who were xtian. My mother thinks she aught to buy some of the DVDs of Veggie Tales when she can afford it so she can show the cartoons to her future grandkids. She also has kept a lot of my old Christian books like Jesus Loves Me and A Children's Book of Prayers. No way are my future kids going to be exposed to such things unless I talk to them before hand about mythology and make believe, and make them understand what they see in those shows and read in those books is all fantasy. I hope the kids will watch any Christian shows at Granny's ( my mother's) house with the same thoughts that it is all make believe as I did when I used to watch movies such as Clash of the Titans or other movies about mythology. At least she likes some anime and non xtian stuff ( like Miyazaki's movies) so it would be easy to have a long lecture about reality vs. fantasy.

Aw...no one has mentioned Reefer Madness (aka Tell Your Children) yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reefer_Madness

I've never seen the whole movie...just clips. But even the clips are so hysterically off-base regarding cannabis, it's worthy of this thread.

I remember watching A Thief in the Night when I was living in the States back in the 80's.

Funnily enough I found out you can download it for free at archive.org, here:

A Thief in the Night

Looks like a good site for downloading stuff!

Guest ephymeris

I hate to admit it but I watched both these series daily for at least a few years as a kid. They were the only cartoons on before school while I was eating breakfast. I was more into Flying House because I thought it was weird and sad that the kids just left their families accidently but they didn't seem sad or home sick. I also thought it was weird they didn't seem to miss modern day food....mmmm bread loaves and fish. I remember really liking the episode where satan tempted jesus in the desert because the kids got visions of their most sinful wishes and the little girl was a princess.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember Eric Estrada used to be in a lot of those crappy old 70s Christian movies. I remember my mother wondering why, after doing all those, he still hadn't become a Christian. :lol: I guess he wasn't so stupid.

Remember Psalty, the walking, talking hymn book? I remember being in a church stage show version of "Psalty's Christmas Calamity". My kids had one of his appalling videos, I'm not sure where we got it from, but the kids in the video used to get so excited about the stupidest things like having a singsong. It was watching that video as an adult that made me realise where the inspiration for Barney the Dinosaur came from. :lol:

Pamela's Prayer...the most horrifying piece of cinema I have EVER seen

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4452533805345162026

revolting.

Oh...that's rich. I've never seen that before. Yep, that'll mess you up for a long time. Way to set unrealistic expectations early so that your children will be GREATLY disappointed in their married lives. Thanks for sharing that.