Goodbye Jesus

Cheesy Old X-ian Movies

Mutate

Does anyone remember those cheesy Christian anime series The Flying House and Superbook? They were these kid's anime about these kids who traveled back in time and had adventures with Jesus. I only saw it a few times when I was a kid.

OMG!! I loved superbook! I do vaguely remember Flying House. I can still hum the theme music to McGee and Me, that was a big favorite. I was BIG into Adventures in Odysee. I even got the board game and the action figures!

There were some SUPER cheesy videos I watched in high school just for the sheer entertainment value! One was The Appointment. A lady who works in an office gets a special visitor who tells her she's going to die in a few days and gives her the exact time. Well, she never accepts Jesus and on that day everyone has to exit the building because it's on fire and she falls off the sidewalk in her heels and gets hit by a truck.

There was another cheesy video I saw in Chapel. Don't remember the name of it but a high school guy says he wishes he'd never accepted Christ. It's like "It's a Wonderful Life". He wakes up the next day and his world is altered like it would be if he hadn't become a Christian.

I was subjected to every cheesy, low-budget horror flick posing as an End Times movie ever made. Our Bible class one year decided it would be fun to learn about the end times (I got outvoted) so we watched all the movies, including "Left Behind" with the formerly sane Kirk Cameron.

My best friend and I got SO sick of the videos that we decided to make our own parody end-times video. We called it "The Other Rapture Movie" and filmed it at my house!

BTW- was anyone else here subjected to the play Heaven's Gates Hell's Flames?? My church put that play on several times and I saw it at other churches too. Talk about scaring people to death! Jeeesus!

I'm too young for the movies from the 70s and 80s but I did watch all the kids shows from those decades because that was what was on TBN. I loved The Flying House, Superbook and I wanted to be Gospel Bill when I grew up. As far as cheesy movies go, Carmen's movies (like his music) are pretty cheesy as is this one movie my mom bought for the family a few Christmases ago called "Joshua" about is Jesus lived today or something like that.

For your viewing pleasure, the trailer to Carman's "The Champion" movie" which is kinda like every other boxing movie ever, only with Carman.

[edited because, silly me, I forgot the link]

I'm too young for the movies from the 70s and 80s but I did watch all the kids shows from those decades because that was what was on TBN. I loved The Flying House, Superbook and I wanted to be Gospel Bill when I grew up. As far as cheesy movies go, Carmen's movies (like his music) are pretty cheesy as is this one movie my mom bought for the family a few Christmases ago called "Joshua" about is Jesus lived today or something like that.

I watched Gospel Bill a lot in 3rd and fourth grade.

And I had no idea anyone else actually saw Joshua. At the time I remember thinking "Not a bad movie but WHAT is with that woman never wearing a bra? Did wardrobe miss that in every scene??

• 4 weeks later...
Guest uumomma

I don't remember the name of the movie, but it had to do with the Holocaust and a bunch of women in a concentration camp. One of the Jewish women in a concentration camp started to read the Bible and become Christian, then you had a bunch of Nazi guards who acted more like cranky old men rather than than vicious hatemongers. The Christian lady was acting all annoyingly happy even though they were in a bunker with hardly any food or necessities, then she got pneumonia and was sent to a "clinic" to be left to die. One of her friends got permission from a Nazi guy to go and sort out the dead bodies in this "clinic" and she came upon her Christian friend who was still all smiling and talking about Jeebus.

I found this movie to be so sappy and sugarcoated as the Christian lady being all happy happy though the Nazi guards treated her like shit. Right after she died was when these American or French soldiers busted into the camp as if Gawd was rewarding her and her friends for being happy happy though such an environment would tear down even the most optimistic person. At the end of the movie some elderly lady said that she was there and that the sickeningly happy lady was her friend, and that after escaping the concentration camp she converted to Christianity.The thing was so sugarcoated with the woman and her friends being happy all the time and the Nazi guards being depicted more like stern old school headmasters handing out punishments rather than sadistic fuckers, and all the violence was shown off screen where you couldn't see who got injured or killed. Also in the part of the bodies in the "clinic" there were some overweight people playing as dead bodies, which from what I have seen in pictures from Auschwitz people were emaciated from starvation.

it was "the hiding place" about corrie ten boom

One I remember, was a 1978 anthology tv miniseries that NBC did called "Greatest Heros of the Bible."

From Tv.com: "This was an eight-hour miniseries re-creating Biblical stories from the Old Testament. It ran for four consecutive nights on NBC, then returned as a series of specials afterwards." Greatest heros of the bible

Cheesy Christian movies: The Burning Hell! from 1974.

It frightened a lot of my friends who saw it - - more like disgusted them, appalled them. But it was ridiculous - no, it was religulous. Only a religious movie producer could get away with producing something to ridiculous!

i used to work at the "music" section of the "christian book store" so i used to peddle this idiotic mindless shit to unsuspecting moronic people who believe kirk cameron is an oscar worthy actor. but one that keeps standing out are these dave christiano movies one of them called "crime of the age" in which an idiotic detective tries to find the "lost" councilor at a bible encampment. these are very very very bad films but for some strange reason..maybe manipulation on my part we sold these pieces of shit.

I am going to have to check NetFlix to see if any of these movies are available. My movie queue is getting pretty short and most of these movies sound perfect for ‘Bong Night.!” :woohoo: Thanks for all the great tips!

Oh god. Several of these I remember like I watched them yesterday.

I know this wasn't a movie, it was a tv series, but was anyone else forced to sit though "McGee and Me!" as a kid? Doesn't get cheesier than that.

:repuke:

The Rube Goldberg machine that sharpens his pencil at the start of every show. The cartoon character, McGee, with the Elvis-wannabe hair. The cutaway cartoons. And "Ooh they got a black kid in there they're not racist!"

hehe...Christianity goes after kids with their propaganda hardcore. I was subject to McGee and Me, Narnia books, one of those cute fun kid bibles that only has the popular fairy tales, the songs...ugh, you guys reminded me how into it I was as a kid. Thanks a lot. hehe. Makes me sad to think of all the kids experiencing this crap right now.

Hey, does anyone remember that old show with the big blue bible guy...and they always sang that song, "The B-I-B-L-E, yes that's the book for me". Haha, I watched that a lot and I can't remember what it was.

As for the original topic...the only time I remember seeing Christian movies was at one of the churches we went to for a couple of years. I only remember finding them severely depressing and not at all uplifting. I guess they were actually pretty accurate about the realities of Christianity in that regard. haha.

Psalty! Do you remember the episode where his pages get shrunk, and everyone panics and can't figure out how to unshrink them?

Does anyone remember those cheesy Christian anime series The Flying House and Superbook? They were these kid's anime about these kids who traveled back in time and had adventures with Jesus. I only saw it a few times when I was a kid.

OMG!! I loved superbook! I do vaguely remember Flying House. I can still hum the theme music to McGee and Me, that was a big favorite. I was BIG into Adventures in Odysee. I even got the board game and the action figures!

Chris, Joy, and Gizmo. Right? And remember the acoustic OMG-IT'S-GOD jingle?

There were some SUPER cheesy videos I watched in high school just for the sheer entertainment value! One was The Appointment. A lady who works in an office gets a special visitor who tells her she's going to die in a few days and gives her the exact time. Well, she never accepts Jesus and on that day everyone has to exit the building because it's on fire and she falls off the sidewalk in her heels and gets hit by a truck.

There was another cheesy video I saw in Chapel. Don't remember the name of it but a high school guy says he wishes he'd never accepted Christ. It's like "It's a Wonderful Life". He wakes up the next day and his world is altered like it would be if he hadn't become a Christian.

I was subjected to every cheesy, low-budget horror flick posing as an End Times movie ever made. Our Bible class one year decided it would be fun to learn about the end times (I got outvoted) so we watched all the movies, including "Left Behind" with the formerly sane Kirk Cameron.

My best friend and I got SO sick of the videos that we decided to make our own parody end-times video. We called it "The Other Rapture Movie" and filmed it at my house!

BTW- was anyone else here subjected to the play Heaven's Gates Hell's Flames?? My church put that play on several times and I saw it at other churches too. Talk about scaring people to death! Jeeesus!

Oh god. I saw this. One of the episodes showed a mom getting dragged to hell while her daughter was watching. Then when it was her turn, she got to go to Heaven, but when Jesus came out, she didn't budge until Jesus actually came to her. (yes, that was part of the show)

I cannot tell you how many times I watched The Ten Commandments as a kid. It was one of the first VHS tapes we got, and I loved it. I must admit though, I have always been very attracted to ancient Egypt (another reason I love Stargate series!), and I would pretend I was Ramses, not moses!

"There's a man among the sheep!" :wicked:

Best line in the whole damn movie. (Spoken by the future Mrs. Moses to her six sisters after first seeing Moses in their pasture.) Well, at least it always got a laugh from the cynical atheists I hung out with in college. Admittedly, we were a jaded bunch.