Goodbye Jesus

Is God The Reasoning Or The Social Interaction?

Abiyoyo

Many here have many views. I could write for days about the differing views in these forums, and the responses from the differences. We classify them, and separate into 'groups'. The main obvious reasoning here is that Christianity is not reasonable. This is the social interaction of the group. And then, it is branched off into different beliefs if applicable, no belief, or other. I have seen the most ridiculous claims, to the most thought provoking claims which cause me to dive into research for weeks, even months.

My question is this. Are these forums not much different than a church? We all have a social interaction, and we all have a main group fitting, and we all are classified in different groups. Social interaction for someone that has lived within the confines of social interaction is a necessity for daily function. I have not lived within those confines in my life, but for a short period of time with my ex wife, so the social interaction is great when I want to get opinions, thoughts, ideas, notions, material, etc; and also when in lowly status. But, I will not cease daily functions without it because it was not a daily function within my life.

I just find it odd that most here are readily available to defend each other, and clarify, correct, modify, educate, etc similar to a church would do for another member, some churches that is.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on that. Does anyone here feel more at church now, than when they were extremely religious and attending church?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I don't feel more "at church" here - there are significant differences such as no required creed or dogma, freedom to explore and even change my beliefs as I learn more.

However, there are similarities as there are in any community - whether it be a church, bridge club, school, etc. Whenever/wherever people of like minds gather you will have that type of interaction.

humans require social interaction. Church despite the religious aspect, the rote, the ritual, and the dogma, provides that. This group is equally a place for like-minded individuals to congregate. God for churchies is really a focal point for finding like-minded individuals. To ask that question is pretty much the same as asking if church is not much different from an S&M club.

My question is this. Are these forums not much different than a church?

Yes and no. The bonds are not as strong, and we common underlying "dogma" is very minuscule in comparison with a Christian church. The only binding factor here is really the Ex- in Ex-Christian. You must have seen how much we disagree about so many things, which shows we're not as streamlined as most churches would be.

But, if you look at group behavior only, do we behave like an in-group? Yes, to some extent I think we sometimes do. Some of us are aware of it, and keep on trying to keep our heads cool and not be swayed by mob behavior, but I have to admit, we all fall for it now and then. Are we stereotyping Christians? Sure, absolutely.

Another thing too is that a Church is a social institution, and as such it creates (or produces) certain behaviors in people. They leave church, and they act a bit different. The teaching of the church changes their behavior in other parts of life. But in this website, we really don't have a message or an intent to form people's lives. We might, but I doubt it is to the same extent as a church would do.

We all have a social interaction, and we all have a main group fitting, and we all are classified in different groups. Social interaction for someone that has lived within the confines of social interaction is a necessity for daily function. I have not lived within those confines in my life, but for a short period of time with my ex wife, so the social interaction is great when I want to get opinions, thoughts, ideas, notions, material, etc; and also when in lowly status. But, I will not cease daily functions without it because it was not a daily function within my life.

I just find it odd that most here are readily available to defend each other, and clarify, correct, modify, educate, etc similar to a church would do for another member, some churches that is.

But does all churches really do that? My experience is that in some churches the clarification, correction, modification, education, etc, comes from the leadership, like the pastor, elders, or the like. While here it is a communal behavior. Some churches might have that too, but I don't see it as a common thread with all churches. For instance, in the Catholic Church you're expected to ask the priest for spiritual questions, not another member.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on that. Does anyone here feel more at church now, than when they were extremely religious and attending church?

Well, we don't have the face-to-face interaction, and we don't spend time together after church having a BBQ, or helping each other fixing the leaking roof, so no, it's not quite the same. But it might be the closest anyone can get who got nothing else.

• Super Moderator

Other than the fact that every community has some things in common with each other, no, I don't see the similarity.

A church consists of a group of people who are all taught, and ostensibly believe, all the same things. Diversity within a church congregation doesn't usually exist.

The common thread here is de-conversion from a Christian church or faith. This "congregation" consists of atheists, agnostics, pagans, deists, Buddhists, and even a few heretical Christians from time to time. Free, open discussion thrives in this atmosphere, but just ask the typical pastor the wrong question, or express serious doubts, and you will be straightened out or gone in a short time.

Christian churches can't even abide a lot of other Christians who think a little differently than they do, much less atheists or pagans. Around here, we'll even talk to people of the faith we left. Since we all have left that faith, we will naturally pretty much agree with each other as we argue/discuss with the Christians who visit here.

Obviously I enjoy discussing pertinent and off-topic subjects with the people here. There are a lot of smart and interesting folks lurking about these forums. I also have a real life with a diverse group of friends, but the people here are real too; I just haven't met them all fact to face. This isn't my church or social group here. It's just fun. It's also one of the few places a newly de-converted person can see that they are not alone in the world. In many places it's hard to realize that a regular, happy, productive life can continue without church life and god-talk.

Well, we don't have the face-to-face interaction, and we don't spend time together after church having a BBQ, or helping each other fixing the leaking roof, so no, it's not quite the same. But it might be the closest anyone can get who got nothing else.
Now I'm suddenly in the mood for a good 'ol fashion pot luck lunch.

Abiyoyo,

You are missing the point and purpose of this site, probably because your mind is focussed on being a christian. Exchristian.net is here in order to support those who have experienced the negative effects of christian doctrine and also negative christian social effects.

Of course, any human interaction is social in nature. We have learned, and are learning how to live better lives without christianity's interference. But, because the USA is obsessed with using christianity as a means to solve social problems and to propagate itself as a power to dictate what we can and cannot think or do.....this site will continue. If christians kept their beliefs personal rather than public and institutional, this site would probably not exist.

I don't feel like this is church at all. It is a place where freedom of speech is not taboo when it comes to religion. There are many intelligent people here who are worth taking the time to learn from :grin:

Now I'm suddenly in the mood for a good 'ol fashion pot luck lunch.

Too bad you don't live close by, we're having a b-day party today for one of my sons.

I trust the opinions of my friends here much more than of any xian, simply because their thoughts are their own, not regurgitated dogma from an imaginary friend. No moral judgements or church politics either.

Superior to religion in every way.

But, if you look at group behavior only, do we behave like an in-group? Yes, to some extent I think we sometimes do. Some of us are aware of it, and keep on trying to keep our heads cool and not be swayed by mob behavior, but I have to admit, we all fall for it now and then. Are we stereotyping Christians? Sure, absolutely.

Another thing too is that a Church is a social institution, and as such it creates (or produces) certain behaviors in people. They leave church, and they act a bit different. The teaching of the church changes their behavior in other parts of life. But in this website, we really don't have a message or an intent to form people's lives. We might, but I doubt it is to the same extent as a church would do.

Sure it does. Maybe not so much to me, just as not so much to the church attender that goes every Sunday and thats it; but there is definitely a message here. The church attender is there, hears the message, has been approached, has been questioned, has been invited to the BBQ's; but still the attender just comes and goes every Sunday with no other involvements.

Now, the fresh people. Is Ex-Christian similar to a church in that regard?

The common thread here is de-conversion from a Christian church or faith. This "congregation" consists of atheists, agnostics, pagans, deists, Buddhists, and even a few heretical Christians from time to time. Free, open discussion thrives in this atmosphere, but just ask the typical pastor the wrong question, or express serious doubts, and you will be straightened out or gone in a short time.

The heretic in a church would be an open minded person that challenges any doctrine, and yes they would be straightened out or gone in a short time as you said; Can a member Christian or not, ask a question that goes against the direct social interaction of Ex-C without being 'straightened out, or even dismembered'? Maybe not to that extremity, but possibly scolded by the flock none the less.

Can a member Christian or not, ask a question that goes against the direct social interaction of Ex-C without being 'straightened out, or even dismembered'? Maybe not to that extremity, but possibly scolded by the flock none the less.

I think that often depends on the tone of the questioning. I've seen several christian members treated in a civil or even warm manner here because that's the tone they set. However, many of us still feel wounded by christianity and christians who post in a manner that opens those wounds often do so at their own risk!

• Super Moderator
Can a member Christian or not, ask a question that goes against the direct social interaction of Ex-C without being 'straightened out, or even dismembered'? Maybe not to that extremity, but possibly scolded by the flock none the less.

Anyone may say anything they wish. Some will agree, some disagree, and others won't give a shit. If somebody comes here and asks, "What has made you turn your back on a loving God?" of course they'll be dealt with verbally because they are pressing the buttons of people who have been hurt, or at least deceived, by the Christian claims about the deity portrayed in the Bible.

Christianity aside (since that's what we all left behind us), there is a "safe" forum here to talk about your new belief in Odin, or Isis, or Astrology, or crystals, or L. Ron Hubbard. Well, maybe not Hubbard! Outside of that area, evidentially unsupported supernatural notions can have a tough time of it too. Many people around here are rational, critical thinkers who demand evidence before accepting extraordinary claims. An "attack" on a belief of any kind is the reaction of individuals, not enforcement of the dogma and doctrine of an organized group. It may appear that way at times, but that is only because there are so many rational minds here - rationality is a main reason for being unable to continue believing the Bible religions.