Goodbye Jesus

A Promise To Myself

Outlaw393

Hey guys. It's been years since I've posted here so I think it's time. Recently, after a three year period of searching for a religion, I've decided to stop lying to myself and become an atheist. It was hard at first, I felt empty and depressed. I decided to fall back on a philosophy (I won't call it a religion) that I studied about a year ago. It's Taoism. Taoism has helped fill the gap that I felt when I decided to accept that there is no god. I know there are many like me, I was a christian for 25 years, born and raised in the church. It's harder for those of us that were brainwashed at an early age to break away from something we've always known.

So...why now. Why have I decided to just be an atheist and forget (most) religion. I figure that every culture has it's gods, and there's zero proof for any of them. The atheists are right, I figured... "man created god in his own image". I'm agnostic, however, in my statement that I can't know for sure (and surely no one else can either) that there certainly isn't a god.

So I went from feeling an empty hole to feeling joy. It took a little while, but it's the first time in a long time I felt joy over my religious choices. Such freedom.

:)

Hey guys. It's been years since I've posted here so I think it's time. Recently, after a three year period of searching for a religion, I've decided to stop lying to myself and become an atheist. It was hard at first, I felt empty and depressed. I decided to fall back on a philosophy (I won't call it a religion) that I studied about a year ago. It's Taoism. Taoism has helped fill the gap that I felt when I decided to accept that there is no god. I know there are many like me, I was a christian for 25 years, born and raised in the church. It's harder for those of us that were brainwashed at an early age to break away from something we've always known.

So...why now. Why have I decided to just be an atheist and forget (most) religion. I figure that every culture has it's gods, and there's zero proof for any of them. The atheists are right, I figured... "man created god in his own image". I'm agnostic, however, in my statement that I can't know for sure (and surely no one else can either) that there certainly isn't a god.

So I went from feeling an empty hole to feeling joy. It took a little while, but it's the first time in a long time I felt joy over my religious choices. Such freedom.

:)

And, oh, I forgot to add...the title of my post. My promise to myself here on out is "no more blind faith". I believe in what I can see, feel, touch, etc. If there's no proof, it deserves no blind faith.

Taoism was a very useful bridge for me to atheism. I still love the books and teachings, because there's not much spirituality in them and Lao Tzu had a lot of interesting comments on human nature. I won't say I'm Taoist because there are technically some spiritual claims about the Tao and I want to make it clear that I also demand empirical proof for any claim.

It takes time to realize the spirituality does not mean believing in things that are not there, but can be about exploring the universe and seeing it for what it is, and appreciating the time we have here. It is about being true to yourself in all things, and the fact that you were able to stop lying to yourself and force your thoughts out to their conclusions is actually a big spiritual step, in my opinion.

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. -Lao Tzu

• Super Moderator
My promise to myself here on out is "no more blind faith". I believe in what I can see, feel, touch, etc. If there's no proof, it deserves no blind faith.
A-MEN!

:woohoo:

Interesting. Tao was part of my transition too, but it was very short and not very intense. But I did read it, and felt inspired for just existing.

And welcome back Outlaw.

Hi, Outlaw393. I really, really like that promise you made to yourself. I think I'll formally adopt it, too.

Hi, Outlaw393. I really, really like that promise you made to yourself. I think I'll formally adopt it, too.

Heh. Thanks. :)

I still haven't reached the part where I'm real comfortable with having no god, I've thought about reconnecting with the Norse Gods. But as with all gods, theres zero proof to their existence too.

sigh. :twitch:

Welcome, Outlaw! Good to have you here. Feel free to rant to your heart's content.

Welcome, Outlaw! Good to have you here. Feel free to rant to your heart's content.

Lol, I thought I recognized you from somewhere. :) Are you the same person I know from Interfaith forums? :P

Lol, I thought I recognized you from somewhere. :) Are you the same person I know from Interfaith forums? :P

Yup, that's Me.

Yup, that's Me.

Cool :D