Goodbye Jesus

Love Your Enemy

Guest Davka

I find anger empowering. It's a large part of what drives My anti-theistic writing, and I have no intention of making nice any time soon.

What I've found is this: After several years of getting My buttons pushed by various evangelical assholes, I've gone beyond My initial knee-jerk responses. Kept the anger but also mastered it... Now it only comes out of the bag of tricks when *I* want it to. (That self-control also does wonders for the writing, too.)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• florduh

• chefranden

• buffettphan

True. But wallowing in bashing sessions is not a necessary part of getting over it. If that's what you like to do here, go with it. Just rename the place "AngryAndResentfulExChristian," so those of us who don't want to play that game will know to keep our distance.

Or you could get over yourself and see truth when it smacks you upside the head.

Its not up to you to say what is necessary or not necessary for us to "get over it". Sorry, you are not qualified.

As for renaming the place, maybe you should have spent some more time here looking at posts so you would not be so surprised and unaware as you seem to be. After all, on the main blog of this site, there is an entry that says "Not Ready to be Nice." http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2006/07...to-be-nice.html

If you have not read it, I recommend it.

Don't even waste your time replying to this troll.

Justice doesn't work, Truth smacking and all all that bullshit

Wow and you think we have problems? :twitch:

bullshit-meter-0.gif

Wow! That meter rocks!

Guest Davka
Japedo likes to edit crap and make it seem as if he's responding to something other posters did not actually say

That's absolutely true. I'm a dishonest piece of work, ain't I? But hey, this is the Internet, and I can get away with it. Besides, I'm an asshole.

Glad to see we agree.

Hey Dippy, I'm no HE... but thanks for playing. :close: Anyone can read your BS comment and draw their own conclusions.. You did say Justice didn't work for you (ergo, therefor doesn't work) and also told me the truth was going to smack me in the head. :kiss: my :moon:

• Super Moderator

Eh, took another look and I'm still not in the mood to be troll bait. Maybe with a better troll . . .

You guys have fun.

Guest Davka
Eh, took another look and I'm still not in the mood to be troll bait. Maybe with a better troll . . .

Sorry I'm not up to your usual standards. I'd say "Ill try harder," but that would be a lie. My heart's just not in it.

Japedo doesn't seem to mind stooping to my level. tho. Or even lower. Limbo, baby!

Definitions of Forum Abuse (version 1.2 - 10/16/2005) by Moderator HanSolo

Trolls

Definition

Trolls tend to argue only for the cause of starting a good fight. They use inflammatory statements and try to upset people, just for the entertainment of seeing the effect. Trolls usually are closed-minded to any replies that are made, and they might jump from the original topic to just flaming anyone who disagrees with them.

Most of the time, trolls try to stay anonymous and don't post pictures of themselves or give any information of who they are.

Occasionally members can also get into a trolling action, acting similar to a troll, but their motivation is not to just stir up emotions, but rather they just are just responding with anger or irritation against an opposing poster. This type of exchange doesn't really count as trolling per se, but is just an outburst by an upset member.

What to do

Put Trolls on ignore and report them to the moderators or admins. There's rarely a point in arguing with them.

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?act=boardrules

While we're at it, all rape victims and people who dislike rape should just "get over it." Fuck that. Some Christians deserve to be hated and deserve to be ostracized, along with their fucked up beliefs. This is also a place for people to express their frustration with leaving Christianity and or having to still deal with it. It's not healthy to obsessively rage over something, but it's also not healthy to shove it all down inside and pretend it doesn't exists. It's also not productive to pretend that a lot of Christians are not pieces of shit, along with their religion. Most of us have been emotionally and/or physically abused via Christianity, and only an uneducated fool would simply tell people to "get over it."

Love is not going to make these Christians stop what they're doing. Quit the hippie shit and "get over" us being hateful of assholes.

If he had anything to say, he wouldn't need to constantly tell us how worldly wise and experienced he is, homeless for 10 years, lived in holy land etc.

His points would stand alone.

Remember "a rich man doesn't need to tell you he's rich". That goes for intellect, life experience and anything else.

I don't see "Love your enemy" as a good or even realistically feasable thing to do. You can't just decide to love someone. You either do or don't. You can learn to tolerate them but love isn't an emotion that I think you can just generate at the drop of hat for people. I like "Know thine enemy" much better.

As I recall from reading the church fathers the idea of "loving your enemy" is simply to befriend your enemies. Once your make your enemies into your friends you effectively have no more enemies. It's not about forgiveness or anything of that nature but simply a security issue. Think about Judea in the first century. If you were the enemy of Rome you were likely to be overlorded and possibly destroyed (which is what happened). If you were to befriend Rome then they would loosed their grip over you and you could rule yourself (ie. with a client king...which Judea did twice after "jesus" with Aprippa I/II). So risk cruel overlords by opposing them or try befriending them to see what that gets you? This fits into the other "weak" sayings of "jesus" as well. "Go the extra mile." "Give them your cloak." "Turn the other cheek." And all those things. Of course this doesn't fit the idea of a "strong" ruler so who'd listen to this nonsense? Unless you're "meek" and wish to inherit the earth? Then you might...otherwise Rome can suck it.

mwc

Yes mwc, I beleive you are right, that this is what "love your enemies" was about for the early christians. Today, most tend to take a literal interpretation which when applied becomes a masochistic way of life (and they think it ensures their place in heaven).

Guest Davka
If he had anything to say, he wouldn't need to constantly tell us how worldly wise and experienced he is, homeless for 10 years, lived in holy land etc.

"constantly"? Twice is now "constantly"? Interesting language you speak - care to tell me what it's called? In case I decide to learn it.

The homeless remark was in response to someone telling me what I would say (gotta love the arrogance) to a homeless person. The remark about Jerusalem was in the context of a story. So now it's somehow a negative to tell people why you think the way you do? Huh. Gonna have to remember that next time someone shares their terrible experiences in church. Shouldn't their points stand alone, without any background?

Fact is, I've lived a life that's far from normal. And yes, that's relevant to how I think and why I say the things I do. I'll try not to bore you with any more details. I wouldn't want you to get the impression that I'm human or anything.

Davka, is this thread benefiting you in some way? I’m just curious. You seem like an intelligent person with a lot of experiences that you could share . And it’s very likely that your experience and knowledge could be advantageous to others. But your approach is very off putting. You assume a lot about other people and you come across as wanting to tell others what they should believe and how they should behave. In a few instances you have been hateful and rude to the kindest person that I know. If this conflict is serving you in some way, please continue. But, if you really just want to participate on the board and give and take ideas, perhaps you can stop this thread and start over in another.

I agree that there are some good lessons in the bible. But there are also many atrocities in the bible. I have found innumerable books with good lessons and without exception, they are more consistent and much better written. When there are many great men to look up to, why are you so enamored of Jesus?

By the way, I am an Ex-Christian, but I am about as far from angry and resentful as a person can get. I believe my religious upbringing had a very negative impact on my self-esteem, but I am happy to put it behind me and learn how to be joyful every day. Once I realized that this life is all I am going to get, I became intensely aware of how wonderful it is.

Best wishes,

noob

Davka, is this thread benefiting you in some way? I’m just curious. You seem like an intelligent person with a lot of experiences that you could share . And it’s very likely that your experience and knowledge could be advantageous to others. But your approach is very off putting. You assume a lot about other people and you come across as wanting to tell others what they should believe and how they should behave. In a few instances you have been hateful and rude to the kindest person that I know. If this conflict is serving you in some way, please continue. But, if you really just want to participate on the board and give and take ideas, perhaps you can stop this thread and start over in another.

I agree that there are some good lessons in the bible. But there are also many atrocities in the bible. I have found innumerable books with good lessons and without exception, they are more consistent and much better written. When there are many great men to look up to, why are you so enamored of Jesus?

By the way, I am an Ex-Christian, but I am about as far from angry and resentful as a person can get. I believe my religious upbringing had a very negative impact on my self-esteem, but I am happy to put it behind me and learn how to be joyful every day. Once I realized that this life is all I am going to get, I became intensely aware of how wonderful it is.

Best wishes,

noob

Really nice post noob. I agree, maybe we can all just turn a new leaf and push the restart button. I too am not angry or resentful. My former life is what it is and while I have regrets I don't tend to dwell on them much.

• 2 weeks later...

In what way did Jesus get it right? Sure, he did a lot of preaching about loving your neighbour, but he also spent a lot of time condemning those who didn't agree with him and who didn't go along with his philosophies. He even threatened to torture for all eternity those who don't believe as he does. Sorry, but that's not loving your enemies. Saying things like "if you are not for me, you are against me", doesn't show love at all, but prejudice against those who are different to you.

John 3:16

For the magical sky daddy so loved the flat earth, that he came down as his own son, a human sacrifice to himself, so that whosoever should kisseth his butt should not have to be tortured by him for all eternity, but get to worship at his feet for all eternity instead.

This is a pretty good paraphrase, but it needs a little fixing: ...but get to grovel at his feet for all eternity instead.

Ender’s Game is among my favorite stories. And I think Ender’s (the protagonist’s) main internal conflict was that he was adept at gaining understanding of his enemies through empathy and compassion. At that moment when he understood them sufficiently enough to defeat them he also loved them.

Guest Davka
In what way did Jesus get it right? Sure, he did a lot of preaching about loving your neighbour, but he also spent a lot of time condemning those who didn't agree with him and who didn't go along with his philosophies. He even threatened to torture for all eternity those who don't believe as he does. Sorry, but that's not loving your enemies. Saying things like "if you are not for me, you are against me", doesn't show love at all, but prejudice against those who are different to you.

Well, I don't trust that most of the New Testament quotes from Jesus are accurate, so I don't really buy that he threatened anyone with Hell. I think he played around with the Hellenized Jewish concepts of the day in an allegorical fashion, but the whole heaven/hell dichotomy doesn't fit well with most of his other recorded teachings.

He also said "if you're not against me, you're for me" which is truly strange. Like he was dividing the world into two camps: for and against, with no room for abstention or ignorance. I'm not sure what he meant by this, or even if his would-be biographers got it right.

The stuff I consider worthy of attention in the Gospels is where Jesus essentially says "religion bites, love each other and quit worrying."

Hey, I thought we were done with this introductory flamebait thread!

Guest Davka
Ender’s Game is among my favorite stories. And I think Ender’s (the protagonist’s) main internal conflict was that he was adept gaining understanding of his enemies through empathy and compassion. At that moment when he understood them sufficiently enough to defeat them he also loved them.

Thus eliminating them as enemies.

I've read every book in the Ender series. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors - in fact, I'm reading the last book in another of his series right now.

Guest Davka

OK, OK, you were all* right. I was being a punk, I was wrong. I'm sorry.

Mea Maxima Culpa, you sorry bastards.

*except florduh

• Super Moderator

*except florduh

I like people who can admit their mistakes, but I don't see what you were wrong about Davka.

What was it?

Oh, and that's Mr. Sorry Bastard to you. :grin: