Goodbye Jesus

Pastor Wants To Go For A Coffee With Me And My Mom!

Guest Perus32

Guest Perus32

Hey guys,

So my mom decided to go to church for the first time in about 5 months for some reason. She is not a what you would call a Jesus Freak or by any chance a religious person, but she considers herself a Christian (nominally). She used to go to church with me when I was into it. So when she came home she said that the pastor and his wife would like to come over for a coffee soon.

i said sure, why not...but i really don't think its a good idea anymore as it might not turn out to be pretty.In a way, I kind of want them to come so I can use all of my knowledge and anger and direct it at a person who officially represents the religion. We'll see what happens.

I'd come up with a reason to disappear that day, if I were you.

I agree with VC. Run!

Arguing with them in anger will accomplish nothing other than to solidify their opinions of you, if they see you as an angry young person who is "mad at God."

Guest Davka
I agree with VC. Run!

Arguing with them in anger will accomplish nothing other than to solidify their opinions of you, if they see you as an angry young person who is "mad at God."

What he said.

Besides, this pastor is probably completely sincere in his delusion. The people you're really mad at are the blatant hypocrites, like televangelists and megachurch hucksters. Some local pastor is just as much a "victim" as you were/are.

So don't get mad. Instead, put yourself in his shoes, go the second mile, and with gentle compassion attempt to convert him to Cthulhu worship.

• Super Moderator

I also think it's no occasion to have a debate or argument. The pastor probably means well and is trying to build church membership and of course, its coffers. In your shoes, I'd just bite my tongue and be polite. You won't really know what to make of it until you get Mom's take on it.

Good luck, and hang in there.

There really is no benefit to arguing with most pastors. They aren't going to change their opinion. They are either too deep in the belief system to come out of it after one meeting and/or they are too invested in it financially and socially to give it up even if they realized it wasn't true. If you realize that it is a fruitless effort but you enjoy the act, you are free to have whatever fun you want. Personally, I like messing with believers.

It is probably best to make yourself scarce during this if you're not into sitting and listening to their garbage. But you might want to give your mother some support. I would wait it out and see how your mom takes it -- as recommended above.

The danger I see in all of this is with your mother. You said she is not a die hard believer and has only recently returned to church. She, being cornered by a pastor, usually a guy very good at manipulating emotions amongst the vulnerable, could end up going to the other side.

Would your mother still be going if you weren't? I wouldn't want to put her into that situation if it were me.

I can sure sympathize with wanting to get in the damned Pastor's face, but that's just a combination of fun and justice; For me, I have to put that kind of thing in the "hobby" category.

But I agree with the other posters in this particular case about not getting angry with your mom there. And I strongly agree with Vigile about your mother's vulnerability.

Frankly and realistically, I'd be going to the meeting for the sole reason of learning what I could about what kind of guy the damned Pastor is, what kind of doctrines his church espouses, and so on, in order to help me run interference for Mom if I need to.

I'd be very polite but noncommittal about giving out information about myself, and keep turning the conversation to finding out about the damned Pastor.

My goal would be that at the end of the meeting, I'd know a hell of a lot more about the damned Pastor than he would know about me, other than that I seem to be a nice guy who doesn't know much about his world.

Guest Marty

Why all this compassion for the pastor? He may just be a local guy trying to build church membership, but he was taught everything we know about the bible in seminary; and he chose to continue the lie so he doesn't have to get a real job. He is a con man; nothing else. He deserves no respect nor any benefit of the doubt. Put some Visine in his coffee...

• Super Moderator
He is a con man; nothing else.

I believe that's true in many cases. My uncle was one.

On the other hand, my former pastor was/is completely sincere and is a good man whom I still respect. He's just caught up in the fantasy of religion and makes a very modest living at it for all the hours he invests in people.