Goodbye Jesus

Can The Atheist Distill Anything Positive From Religion?

sethosayher

What value does religion hold to the atheist? Is it entirely laughable, worthy of only contempt? An expression of morality, values, or principals that can be utilized even by an atheist? A source of powerful images, metaphors, that can be used to color our lives? What does religion (particular Christianity) now mean for you?

• Super Moderator

I think all religion, even Christianity, has some intrinsic value as myth. Ethics, morality and plain old common sense can be found in most religions, but those things are also found in secular novels and plays.

For me, whatever original value Christianity may have had is lost on me now, even if I disregard the supernatural trappings. The religion has too many negative connotations today. I'd rather take advice from a source I can see as more neutral such as Eastern thought and religion.

About the only real value I find is in the art and the architecture. Even that is tainted with the fact that it is often gained by the fleecings of the flock, robbing of heritics, or going to outright war for the faith; the art captured or made from melted down icons of opposing faiths.

I have an appreciation for the architecture and especially for classical music inspired by xian themes (like Handel's Messiah). I may disagree that he (god) shall reign forever and ever, but I still appreciate how the music sounds, and I don't expect that to ever change.

This is another personal favorite. I performed it in choir in 12th grade. Mozart is wicked awesome.

Here are a few quotes from the Bible that I still like.

On the value of understanding…

“Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.” Proverbs 3:13 – 15

On the essence of morality…

“… do to others what you would have them do to you…” Matthew 7:12

On a key to victory in battle…

All warfare is based on deception.

Wait… that last one was from Sun Tzu’s Art of War. :Doh:

A poetic fairy-tale.

I have come to think that all supernatural beliefs are inherently bad for you, because they lay the trappings for making judgments based on falsehoods, and fully embracing reality actually leads to more emotionally healthy people.

Believing in dragons, for example, may seem innocuous, but you have to suspend rational thinking to do so. Now, many a person could believe in dragons without having ill effects, but there may come a time where choices begin to occur based on the beliefs that dragons exists, and these choices, not being based in reason, can be dangerous. Liberal Christians are often harmless, but they still hold up the bible of the fundamental Christians as a good book. They are enabling the bad ones.

It's a bit like cigarette smoking. Some smokers will live long lives, and you wouldn't see any evidence of something bad. Smoking may actually help them relieve stress in tough times, and that is a plus, right? But the underlying truth is that they are ingesting poison, and people will get hurt by it sooner or later.

Only by reason, logic, and evidence can we be sure our decisions are sound, and properly learn from their results. To use supernatural factors in your decision-making process is like cancer, for the flaws start out small but grow and grow and can spread and kill.

It stunts learning, and puts your understanding of the universe into a 'mold' wherein when someone points out that things exists outside the lines you do whatever you can to deny it.

Whatever supposed benefits people posit for these beliefs, I think could be achieved through realistic and rational thinking, and would be longer lasting because it would be based on truth instead of lies.

Here are a few quotes from the Bible that I still like.

On the value of understanding…

“Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.” Proverbs 3:13 – 15

On the essence of morality…

“… do to others what you would have them do to you…” Matthew 7:12

On a key to victory in battle…

All warfare is based on deception.

Wait… that last one was from Sun Tzu’s Art of War. :Doh:

Quoting the bible can be done without religion though. We simply need to accept that these quotes are not divine, and Jesus' teachings are as valid as Socrates.

Guest Davka

The Bible is every bit as important as any other ancient book. It gives insight into the way people thought and lived thousands of years ago. It also provides (believe it or not) an accurate enough record of ancient cities and battles that Israeli archaeologists actually use it to find likely digging sites.

As with any other book of ancient religion and philosophy, there are a few nuggets of truth scattered here and there. As long as we treat it as merely an ancient text rather than a Holy Book breathed by God, I think there's plenty for the atheist or agnostic to glean from the Bible.

As for religion, specifically Christianity, it provides a valuable window into human psychology and mass psychosis. And it's such fertile ground for humor.

Q: Why do you always take two Baptists along when you go fishing?

A: Because if you only take one, he'll drink all your beer.

What value does religion hold to the atheist? Is it entirely laughable, worthy of only contempt? An expression of morality, values, or principals that can be utilized even by an atheist? A source of powerful images, metaphors, that can be used to color our lives? What does religion (particular Christianity) now mean for you?

Christianity has lost all meaning to me. Any good that might have come from it has been ruined by my own inquiry and by having been raised in fundamentalism.

I think it is possible for it to still be meaningful to some people as a "source of powerful images, metaphors.." It has certainly inspired great artistic works. I still like quite a lot of Christian inspired paintings, classical music, and Russian and Greek Orthodox chanting, and architecture. It is possible to just look at the form, color, and representation and find it beautiful.

If you can get past what it represents (and I can't anymore) the Anglican mass is quite beautiful. I can understand others finding some value in it, I just know its not for me.

Other religions are a different story. I still find some meaning and inspiration in Eastern religions (Buddhism, Hinduism) but lately am wondering how far that goes too.

I think most religions are an explanation (science does this one better) and an emotional defense against reality.

The story that moved me, to tears in fact the first time I read it, was the adulterous women who was to be stoned to death. When Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." This woman's life was in their hands, literally. What most people didn't catch was "And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."

The older ones had lived longer, done more wrong to others and were the first to recognize their hypocrisy. As I get older, I forgive people their mistakes a lot faster. What a great philosophy. Yes, the bible has real value for today. BUT...it's not the only book that does. There are MANY books that are on equal footing philosophically.