Goodbye Jesus

The God Who Does Not Answer.....again

Ramen666

So as we know I had another thread on college being not worth it there was drama in there, a bad quarter,ect.

So I tried something different just to see how it turned out, kind of a reinforcement of this, I prayed like a Christian I made a deal with "God" show me that you are real and actually help me and I will no longer support Ex-Christian.net all he has to do is answer me prayer and show me that he is real. The prayer help me get through this quarter, hell everyone was praying for me. Guess what happened after that? I failed the class. (while I studied over 10 + hours)

Now why do I bring this up this was one of the core reasons for my deconversion, I prayed a lot and God was silent all the times that I needed him. I am an atheist now because of this and it continues to prove my point. Christians, if God is so good and answers prayers like the Bible says why did he not "reveal" himself to me so I wouldn't be with these hell bound people and be one of them if he is so real?

The answer is that he is not real, there is more evidence that this example of God not answering prayers, the Bible itself proves God does not exist. If anything this thing that I tired just reinforces what we already know.

I made a deal with "God"

Christians will point to this and say it's why your experiment failed, don't test God blahblahblah.

Personally I think you were brave to try this experiment. Now you have the answers you need. I prayed a similar prayer this spring, with the exact same results.

Now we know prayer is 100 per cent accurate*

*in cases when failure is predicted.

• Super Moderator

Obviously God has a different plan for you.

Obviously God has a different plan for you.

:wicked::wicked: Looks at the plane to hell..... :fdevil:

Ramen,

As Christian I even tried it several times, in high-school. It didn't work then. And now, I have (just to still the curiosity) tried several different "tests" just like that. I even have mad prayers where I make it clear to God (who doesn't listen, it seems) that he can do whatever frigging he want to convince me, I don't care what. So, it's an open ended test of God, where he can do anything possible to convert me... and that was years ago... *chirp-chirp* I'm waiting God...

And the whole "don't test God thing is just ridiculous, since it's my life in danger here, not his pride. If he's real, and I will suffer for eternity, his grace and goodness should overcome his asshattery and he should be able to be "tested" to save me from pain and suffering. Obviously his "highness" got his nose way up in the air, to high for even recognize human suffering, if even eternal.

Ramen,

As Christian I even tried it several times, in high-school. It didn't work then. And now, I have (just to still the curiosity) tried several different "tests" just like that. I even have mad prayers where I make it clear to God (who doesn't listen, it seems) that he can do whatever frigging he want to convince me, I don't care what. So, it's an open ended test of God, where he can do anything possible to convert me... and that was years ago... *chirp-chirp* I'm waiting God...

And the whole "don't test God thing is just ridiculous, since it's my life in danger here, not his pride. If he's real, and I will suffer for eternity, his grace and goodness should overcome his asshattery and he should be able to be "tested" to save me from pain and suffering. Obviously his "highness" got his nose way up in the air, to high for even recognize human suffering, if even eternal.

Basically before I came an atheist this started to happen over and over and over and over again, I prayed and no one of them where answered and finally there was one prayer that he didn't answer (I mentioned in my initial testimony) and basically it threw a rock through the glass house and then I began to question.

The last week I was like lets try it one more time, I have nothing to loose except fail a class. I studied my heart out I begged to God show me if he is real please guide me through this tough time, (my parents still not knowing I am an atheist I even asked them to pray). What are the results same as always same as talking to a rock. I feel embarrassed doing it but I even "prayed" I would leave Ex-Christian.net and support him.....but still got nothing. If you think about it wouldn't it benefit God if he answered a prayer? I mean me telling you guys it worked rather than saying it is rubbish? It shows how fake this stuff really is but if anything it reinforces my decision now as it did 5 years ago.

Exactly, and I think it's good to do this experiment once in a while, because then you can honestly tell Christians that you sincerely tried! They can't claim that you didn't even try to believe. But the problem is rather that God doesn't want you to know he exists (or he just plainly doesn't exists at all). If God exists, he intentionally want you to believe without proof, because proof would be easy for God. So, the conclusion is that God (if he exists) must want the unbeliever to go to Hell, and such God must be consider evil from the human perspective.

I prayed like a Christian I made a deal with "God" show me that you are real and actually help me and I will no longer support Ex-Christian.net

Ehm... :rolleyes: Man,I'd be kinda ashamed of this stuff,if i were you. You know,just because of pusillanimity. I am sure,you can do better,than that.

To Raul:

I understand as we many people have stated many times it is not that bad Raul stupid yes but when you are trying to make a test just reinforce your already made mindset it helps in the long run. (just an experiment only). I am an atheist 100% the core of my deconversion was the idea of prayers that was not answered. That is what really set me into searching for the truth and in the truth I found the lies,hatred of the Bible God which I was once told was loving,whatever. Then I came to the conlusion through searching on my own, that God is just fragiment of humans imagination created to control groups of people for their own self interest. It is embarrassing I said that but I do not regret "searching" it though just to prove I did try to search for God and it shows he is non existent. It is all part of being an atheist, is searching for what I believe is the truth.

Somedays I truly wish that God was real like how the church presents him (such as answering prayers,), not how he is in the Bible but I know in the end it is just made up. It is like I wish that stuff in movies where real but they aren't. It is just wishful thinking on the part of me but I gave the God which we all know of love a chance, like Han did and it really proves on point. If I where to somehow to get an ounce of evidence or something I would gladly share it here. I bet others would to that is the point it proves one thing God really does not care about the people that he will send to hell (assumption: that Bible God is real) and it is also proves I am just talking to myself which I began to believe a while back.

The reason I stated I would no longer "support" Ex-Christian.net because this is the place we sound of about God, it seemed pretty fair if I didn't support here anymore and tell you people that he answered a prayer it would be benefit for God? (assuming he cares or not). Which yeah it is weak but it still has some value to it remember all us are Godless heathens bound on the plane to hell. You would think he would want one us to have a prayer answered so we can report it here. It is a win-win for God. But to say it is cowardness no....it is just using to scientific method to just reinforce what I already believe in. Because pray is one of the few things that can be "tested" and have actual results. But with a failure rate of 100% just proves my hypothesis correctly. Think of this as the scientific aspect of atheism and religion. God can not be tested through science, he fails through all the science but prayer which is part of what can "prove" God can answer a prayer or not which is mentioned several times in the Bible he can do. It is a test of pass and fail. It also gives more evidence of his non existence.

Also note Raul many people in this thread have conducted the same thing, we at one time where Christians if God really wanted us back he would answer the prayers but as time and time again through Han Solo and many others have asked God to reveal something and yet God fails to do so time and time again. It means something when the hypothesis fails over and over again, chances are that it proves something.

I don't see how you can call yourself a "100% atheisth" after trying to cut a deal with a god.

God didn't bother to answer my prayers to save my faith when it was tottering the edge. My last acts as a Christian was to pray to a brick about something then pray to god about the same issue. No answer from the brick or god.

Guest Marty

At the start of every hurricane season I pray to Poseidon to keep me, my family, and our property safe from harm. I've been doing this since 9/11 and aside from some minor roof damage during Katrina, Poseidon has kept us pretty safe.

Proof to me that Poseidon exists...

Guest Davka
God didn't bother to answer my prayers to save my faith when it was tottering the edge. My last acts as a Christian was to pray to a brick about something then pray to god about the same issue. No answer from the brick or god.

I read this and thought I'd try the same thing.

Now, thanks to you, I am worshiping a brick. All glory and honor to the Brick that Answers Prayer!

I don't see how you can call yourself a "100% atheisth" after trying to cut a deal with a god.

Did you even read my long post in this thread or are you just trying to act like a punk? Read what I wrote in all the posts hell read everyone's posts in the thread for further explanations on WHY we conduct these tests. You make it sound like I do this all the time. One test in 5 years and it supports what I believe, far from being irrational about it.

Are you going to call everyone in this thread that did the same thing at one point weak or stupid? If you read my posts and not just cookie cutted quotes from it you would get the whole scope out of this. Until you do before you judge me and others learn what I did and why I did it. I may be an atheist but at times I do wish prayers would be answered, I do wish some of the stuff was real but we all know its not. If anything it reinforced my beliefs as an atheist that there is no God and he definitely does not care if I go to hell.

Plus it makes a better argument against God when dealing with Christians to further your side of the debate. There is nothing wrong with testing curiosity. But I can break this down even further and give you the thought process behind it.

Are you going to call everyone in this thread that did the same thing at one point weak or stupid?

"At one point weak",definetly. Besides,it's a pointless "test" anyway:

If, f.e. , you'd succeed while studying 10+ hours would you say that this happened,because you prayed and not because you studied?

Plus it makes a better argument against God when dealing with Christians to further your side of the debate.

Actually,it doesn't.Somehow I think,that a "100% atheist's prayer" makes a bad argument. From xian theology viewpoint such prayer even isn't supposed to be answered:

"But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. " (James 1:6-8)

Are you going to call everyone in this thread that did the same thing at one point weak or stupid?

"At one point weak",definetly. Besides,it's a pointless "test" anyway:

If, f.e. , you'd succeed while studying 10+ hours would you say that this happened,because you prayed and not because you studied?

Plus it makes a better argument against God when dealing with Christians to further your side of the debate.

Actually,it doesn't.Somehow I think,that a "100% atheist's prayer" makes a bad argument. From xian theology viewpoint such a prayer even isn't supposed to be answered:

"But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. " (James 1:6-8)

Here is a breakdown of the situation so you know why I did this:

I needed an 89% on the final, to pass the class, I failed one test and got a D on another. The odds where against me genuinely that is why this best served as the field for the experiment. I studied for 10+ hours but even that I believed the odds where against me still because of the subject matter. Really that is why I thought best served my interest of the manner and it shows some curiosity of what if...the worst case well I failed.

The Bible verse you quoted if not what I was referring to on this manner

Mark 11:24 (King James Version)

24Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

Matthew 17:20 (New International Version)

20He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."[a]

The mindset I was in was basically this: I believed that God this is the time you can reveal yourself, make me believe I am giving you another chance if you exist you can show yourself because the odds are against me and there is no way I can pass this. It shows that I have at least attempted it genuinely when Christians talk about prayer and asking for God. I did my part but the God that does not exist did not play his part.

The mindset I was in was basically this: I believed that God this is the time you can reveal yourself, make me believe I am giving you another chance if you exist you can show yourself because the odds are against me and there is no way I can pass this. It shows that I have at least attempted it genuinely when Christians talk about prayer and asking for God. I did my part but the God that does not exist did not play his part.

Do you find James 1:6-8 to be irrelevant to your case?

There is this mythology prof at the uni who likes to say, "You can't keep a good Mother Earth Goddess down." Why don't you try that next time. You could get better results. "Mother Earth, I place this seed in your precious soil and water it. Please make it grow a rose." :lol:

Hey, it's just a thought. ;)

The moral of the story is though that the Bible contradicts itself on this very issue (what else is new) and that I can pray to a rock and get the same results. It was an interesting little experiment though it really shows now to me that it supports why I became an atheist. I am on your side just saying in the end I thought it was silly but it helped support what I already believed anyway.

You are absolutely right in saying that god doesn't answer, and it's a huge reason why I deconverted. I did something similar to what you did when I was in 11th grade. I still considered myself a xian at the time, but up until then, I had a very hard time believing in god. At that particular time in my life, a lot of horrible things were going on: my dad was ill and he had to go to the hospital twice, I visited him once in the hospital and thought that I had given him pneumonia (I babysat for a girl the previous day who had pneumonia and I thought that I was a carrier), I had a friend with clinical depression who was completely miserable and ended up attempting suicide before the school year was over, I was doing horribly in school because I was anxious and depressed all the time, etc. Some teenagers would have turned to substance abuse or other harmful methods of coping with that, but I knew that that would just make my life worse, so I, instead, turned to religion. It was the only socially acceptable coping mechanism that I had available to me at the time. I prayed to god that if he would make my life better, then I would believe in him. That worked for awhile until I figured out that I was the one making things better, not god. I also took a Humanities class in 12th grade and my teacher kept presenting more and more evidence against god's existence. At first, I ignored it, but as the evidence started to pile up, I had no choice but to examine it. By the end of 12th grade, I was completely unaffiliated with any religion. I didn't even consider myself an atheist or an agnostic at that point. I just wanted to take a break from thinking about religion altogether. So yeah, I have done an experiment like that.

6But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Well isn't that a nice escape clause for god! Ye olde "you didn't have enough faith" argument. The only way to have that kind of faith is to become a full-blown fanatic, which I guess is the point.

"The traffic light turned green! Thanks God! Bananas were on sale! Thanks God! My boss bullies me at work! Thanks God for teaching me how servants should obey their masters! My wife is fucking the neighbour! Thanks Jesus for teaching me what you feel like when your Bride of Christ goes whoring after the pleasures of the world! I lost my job and can't afford to buy medicine for my kids! Thanks God for forcing us to lean on your everlasting arms! Thanks God for letting my kids die because you used the experience to witness to my estranged in-laws at the funeral!"

Guest ephymeris

Ramen, I'm with you on the unanswered prayers. God must be deaf and blind, impotent, callous, or nonexistant because my prayers were never answered. Even when I was suffering a crisis of faith but still a christian and prayed that god would help me believe and not doubt. I missed my god belief and I wanted it back but my prayers were obviously not answered even with me reading the bible, fasting, and going to church. I'm not unhappy about it now but those were hard times. God just isn't there. I think the "prayer experiment" is neccessary to really solidify your opinion on the matter and I don't think it's a sign of "weakness."

My most personally affecting prayer story if anyone cares to hear it: My brother, who was a raging drug addict, was in a horrible car accident in which his drug dealer was driving. The accident resulted in my brother, dead on the scene, resuscitated 2 times, on a ventilator, in a 9 day coma, with multiple fractures and permanent brain injury. I never did bring myself to pray for him when he was in a coma, when he was in drug rehab, or even now. My mom poured prayers on him. He shouldn't have lived, he shouldn't have recovered the way he has but he has healed beyond all expectations. Once out of his coma and somewhat coherent, my brother (temporarily) became a jesus freak, though he's back to his old ways for the most part now. What does this scenario mean? I don't know but it presents an interesting dichotomy of ideas I have yet to be able to verbalize.

Guest Davka

Here's a weird one for you: Tripping on acid (yeah, I know, a lot of my stories start that way - what can I say?) *ahem* . . . tripping on acid, staring at a fireplace and thinking "I really don't like this world any more. I'm ready to go home." And I had this vision of everything that life is, flashing very rapidly, along with an implied question: "are you really ready to leave all of this?" Well, I was ready to leave everything behind but one: playing music. So the next question was "well then, what do you want?" I thought for a minute and replied "someone to share it with."

Then I had an even weirder flash, this time of everything that a lifetime committed marriage should be. With the implied question, "are you ready for this?" "yeah," I replied, "yeah, I am. I really think I am."

The next day I met the woman who would become my wife.

The story above me......hmmmmmmmmmm is all I can say that is a weird one.

It wasn't actually God not answering my prayers that put me off. My needs were relatively trivial compared to some.

It was Him not answering the many prayers of those in agony, in starvation, in danger, in situations where not a whole lot of major magic was even required.

As millions died in death camps and from war in WWII, God just put the human race on "ignore". If a thousand of your believers are in desperate trouble and you only stoop to maybe help one of them, then I don't know what that makes you. The only thing that explains it is that human life and suffering are irrelevant to God's overall perspective.

Which of course, nullifies all of religion and it's claims.