Goodbye Jesus

Emotional Reasoning

Yrth

I know that every ExC has their own experience, but I wonder sometimes whether certain Ex-Christians are more vulnerable to reconversion. This is part in reaction to something I heard about people leaving the church in their 20s and returning in their 40s, but also to some of the stories told to me by people I know who left the church. In short, they left/stopped believing because, no matter how hard they tried, they just could not connect to God, and since he was absent, he eventually became non-existent. And there they stop. But I wonder, I mean, what would it take to rekindle belief? If the whole 'connection' to God is emotional in the first place, then all you'd need is another similar experience to reintroduce belief. Right?

Personally, I don't want it. I fear/worry it could happen and if it did, I could end up like the rest of my mentally ill relatives. Although, I've been told by many people, even a psychologist or two, that I'm nothing like my mother and if I have never been like her (religiously that is) then I probably never will be. I certainly hope not, because I've seen too many relatives suffer from actual illnesses- both physical and mental, clear to the point they kill themselves. :(