Goodbye Jesus

If God Made His Existence Known, Meaning Satan, Hell, Heaven, All Existed, Who Would You Worship?

DarthOkkata

I am really surprised to see the majority vote would be neither deserve worship??

Folks, ... :grin: If it was PROVEN/REVEALED as the Op states, ...wouldn't that suggest a change to occur in thought??

When I read this result, it only reminds me of the persona the Bible echos about the mind of human beings. Stubborn to the end. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but come on, ..seriously??

I don't think the third option voters have thought this one out.

I understand the opinion or feeling that none should be worshiped on a 'it's not like we can discuss it with them anyhow' viewpoint. But, if they are real then that would certainly change things.

For me, them real, means everything else is real. The Op stated the word 'proven'. God would control the universes life function!! Satan is another entity opposed to God, yet above our capabilities within this world, right??

So, I ask the question.

If the original Op is the occurrence, but there is a battle, would you fight? If so, for which side?

I also consider the fact that those really horrible acts are somehow connected to Satan working iniquity on Earth in a sense. So, lets say to expound on the Op that there are two groups after this, those that follow Satan and those that follow God going to war.

Would we even be able to tell the two apart?? Would we be able to tell the difference between God and Satan??

Lots of questions.

Another question. Would you not worship either because of your personal studies on the subject, or experiences; or because you wouldn't know which one is which, or who was God and who was Satan??

I am really surprised to see the majority vote would be neither deserve worship??

Folks, ... :grin: If it was PROVEN/REVEALED as the Op states, ...wouldn't that suggest a change to occur in thought??

No. Because we're talking about the God of the Bible, including the concept of 'hell'. If I knew such a being existed then I would not consider him worthy of worship because he is a bully and a tyrant.

I don't think that power is enough to make a being worthy of worship. They need to be respect-worthy as well, which requires some kind of goodness. The gods of the hindus seem more compassionate than the God in the Bible. And Hinduism and Buddhism seem more wise and profound than Christianity. So if the God of the Bible existed then I would not worship him because mankind has come up with more enlightened and inspired views than this God and mankind can vision far more compassion than that demonstrated by this God. That is why he would not be worthy of worship (and why I would begin to suspect that there must be a greater force of good than this phony (and quite frankly evil) God of the Bible)

When I read this result, it only reminds me of the persona the Bible echos about the mind of human beings. Stubborn to the end. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but come on, ..seriously??

Stubborn? Yes, I will always be stubborn when it comes to not worshipping a tyrant and a bully.

I understand the opinion or feeling that none should be worshiped on a 'it's not like we can discuss it with them anyhow' viewpoint. But, if they are real then that would certainly change things.

Power is not enough to encourage respect

For me, them real, means everything else is real. The Op stated the word 'proven'. God would control the universes life function!! Satan is another entity opposed to God, yet above our capabilities within this world, right??

So, I ask the question.

If the original Op is the occurrence, but there is a battle, would you fight? If so, for which side?

I also consider the fact that those really horrible acts are somehow connected to Satan working iniquity on Earth in a sense. So, lets say to expound on the Op that there are two groups after this, those that follow Satan and those that follow God going to war.

Would we even be able to tell the two apart?? Would we be able to tell the difference between God and Satan??

Lots of questions.

Satan is for rape and violence and pedophilia and all things horrible (yet paradoxically is also for a lot of things I enjoy) and God is all for a morality that I find sickening and a bully/tyrant kind of 'worship me or else' mentality.

I would worship neither. They're both assholes! Now where are the decent gods for me to worship? Where are the nature gods like Cernunnos and profound cosmic deities like Shiva.

I would be very upset that I'd been stuck with only these two assholes. If God or Satan are my only choices then fuck them both! I'm with John Constantine on that one.

Another question. Would you not worship either because of your personal studies on the subject, or experiences; or because you wouldn't know which one is which, or who was God and who was Satan??

I think I've already answered that.

Guest I Love Dog

So, I ask the question.

Lots of questions.

God, Satan, heaven hell, angels and demons exist only in the minds of those that believe in their existence.

If god was real he would have made his existence known long ago.

If you believe in those things then it's your problem and you have to deal with it.

My mind is clear that none of those things exist. I wouldn't worship anything. There is nothing and never will be anything worthy of worship and grovelling.

Humans who worship need to get some pride and become proper humans instead of grovelling to mythical invisible entities.

I don't recall if I voted or not, but I would not worship either.

Listen, you spend a lot of energy on this board regarding belief. I don't believe because there is insufficient evidence, BUT if suddenly there were ample evidence for the existence of these supernatural beings, I would believe.

That is, for me, a separate issue from worship.

Have you read about Chthuluh? Or whatever god in the Bhagavad Gita ("Destroyer of Worlds or Devourer of Mankind")? Awful cruel gods. If you were confronted with their reality, would you "worship" them?

Fear, acknowledgement of their existence and power, and a sinking feeling might be appropriate, but not worship. If you were in hell, would you worship Satan?

As others note, worship requires at the very least respect. I can't rule out that I may have the facts wrong. Maybe the Bible is bullshit and God is really a nice being of some kind. Maybe it's an alien that doesn't care. Most likely it doesn't exist. I can't respect something that doesn't exist, and I don't see the point in worshiping a god that doesn't care if I kiss its ass.

Before I can say I would worship something, I'd have to know a lot more about it. Given the information available, either there are no gods (default position) or whatever god there is (per the bible or koran) is arbitrary, capricious, mean, vengeful, jealous and totally unworthy of either respect or worship.

I would not know how to answer that. It is like asking if Santa were proven real, would we believe in Santa or God? Too many fairy tales abound. The question Christians asked is a moot point because they have no way of proving god's existence, and if they did, would that God be like the Hebrew God or Christianity's god? I sort of like the Hindu Shiva who converted the demons, now that is power and a caring attitude towards all things in creation, not just a chosen few! I just don't see the xtian version of god all that powerful because he uses people with or without their consent to do his dirty work for him. I see no special advantage to prostate myself before such a monster that insist those who do not kiss his ass should die.

I picked God.

Not that the cruel character of god as portrayed in the bible is worthy of worship, but if christianity were 100% true and rebellion against god meant roasting forever and ever with no relief at all, then I'd have to go with whatever would save my ass from that torment.

Of course, there are way too many problems with the bible and christianity for it to ever be proven true, so it's a moot point for me.

If God's existence were proved, and the Bible were an accurate portrayal of his character and methods, then I would have to say, in the words of Topher Brink, "then we're even more screwed than we thought." Forget the question of who to worship, I wouldn't even be sure which to be more afraid of.

Guest I Love Dog

I would not know how to answer that. It is like asking if Santa were proven real, would we believe in Santa or God? Too many fairy tales abound. The question Christians asked is a moot point because they have no way of proving god's existence, and if they did, would that God be like the Hebrew God or Christianity's god? I sort of like the Hindu Shiva who converted the demons, now that is power and a caring attitude towards all things in creation, not just a chosen few! I just don't see the xtian version of god all that powerful because he uses people with or without their consent to do his dirty work for him. I see no special advantage to prostate myself before such a monster that insist those who do not kiss his ass should die.

The question asked was even worse than just believing, it asked who would you worship!

That just shows the Christian enslavement to their belief, they can't just believe in their god, they have to worship he/she/it and all that it entails. It's like making children worship Santa because they believe in him!

No. Because we're talking about the God of the Bible, including the concept of 'hell'. If I knew such a being existed then I would not consider him worthy of worship because he is a bully and a tyrant.

I don't think that power is enough to make a being worthy of worship. They need to be respect-worthy as well, which requires some kind of goodness. The gods of the hindus seem more compassionate than the God in the Bible. And Hinduism and Buddhism seem more wise and profound than Christianity. So if the God of the Bible existed then I would not worship him because mankind has come up with more enlightened and inspired views than this God and mankind can vision far more compassion than that demonstrated by this God. That is why he would not be worthy of worship (and why I would begin to suspect that there must be a greater force of good than this phony (and quite frankly evil) God of the Bible)

BUT, in this theoretical situation, none of what you said would matter because they would both be proven to be real. What if God says they wrote about it the wrong way and humanity misconstrued my nature and name? \

Would that change things?

Do you think He would explain everything? Reveal everything that we don't know or understand because we are humans?

Would God view you as just angry? Like Jonah?

Humans who worship need to get some pride and become proper humans instead of grovelling to mythical invisible entities.

Well, thats just your opinion. We live in freedom because of technology. Who needs to worship? I say not many because we have every and anything available to comfort our everyday needs. This is the generation of instant everything, instant pudding, instant popcorn, instant communications, instant travel.

Instant God? If God never changes and is the same today, yesterday, and tomorrow; then it us that has changed.

100 years ago, people thought different than today, 200 years ago, same thing, in different regions of the world, people think different than you and I do; because we are all living different lives in different places where ethical value, government, social atmosphere, culture, religion all play significant roles in peoples life, theology, ethics, morality, etc.

The movement is changing because the world is changing. But don't be fooled, God calls people all over to become involved in that movement and display Himself through the social interactions and theologies nevertheless.

Sounds to me God is just living up to His name.

But, as I said to another poster, it would have to be different because this OP says theoretically that they both would be proven real. It would not be like going and seeing a revival or watching a touching movie about God, this would be real, right in front and center.

As others note, worship requires at the very least respect. I can't rule out that I may have the facts wrong. Maybe the Bible is bullshit and God is really a nice being of some kind. Maybe it's an alien that doesn't care. Most likely it doesn't exist. I can't respect something that doesn't exist, and I don't see the point in worshiping a god that doesn't care if I kiss its ass.

Before I can say I would worship something, I'd have to know a lot more about it. Given the information available, either there are no gods (default position) or whatever god there is (per the bible or koran) is arbitrary, capricious, mean, vengeful, jealous and totally unworthy of either respect or worship.

I agree somewhat, and it is good I think that you would believe because reality is reality, and if God revealed himself to humanity, it would then become real, and apart of reality. I do talk alot about belief of the boards because that is the foundation of these boards, peoples beliefs. If this was a car forum, it would be about cars.

But, I hold a similar position. I would ask to know everything, from day one, and my unanswered why's about things that have went wrong with my life, and walk as a Christian.

BUT, in this theoretical situation, none of what you said would matter because they would both be proven to be real. What if God says they wrote about it the wrong way and humanity misconstrued my nature and name? \

Do you think He would explain everything? Reveal everything that we don't know or understand because we are humans?

Well, of course if Christianity got God completely wrong and he was totally compassionate and wise and good - then I would certainly honour and respect him and perhaps even 'worship' him, if worship is even a thing that such a god would require.

but then a totally wise, good and compassionate god would probably have a better way of dealing with people who do bad things than sending them to hell (or allowing them to go to hell, which is more or less the same thing when you're all-powerful). Not sure how Satan would fit into that though. Maybe he just tempts people to do bad things to screw up with our life on earth and God's beautiful creation. which admittedly would make him a bit of dick.

So yeah, sure, if Christianity and the Bible got God totally wrong. But that's precisely why I'm not a christian and I'm more interested in other religions. You know - the ones who (if there is a God) have got God/divinity right.

I think several of these answers come down assumptions read into the OP.

If God, as described in the bible, "made himself known" to ME... then I guess, by definition, I would be a Christian (if I KNOW that Gawd is real, then don't I necessarily 'believe' that he's real?). I mean, for Jehovah to make himself 'known' to me, I would have to be sufficiently convinced to either solve or put aside apparent contradictions in the bible. And since this question originates from a christian, I'm going to have to assume that if god, "as described in the bible" exists... then that means that he exists roughly as christians conceive of him- none of this business about the devil actually being god.

So I'm essentially being asked that if I was magically converted to christianity... would I worship as such? Well, I guess so. And if I was magically converted to islam, I guess I"d be kneeling toward Mecca. I don't see how this proves a whole lot.

One of the presuppositions in the OP is that 'the bible' is generally correct. That being the case, the outcome of this scenario isn't in question- Gawd wins. Period. And seeings how I'm a coward at heart- I'm not ABOUT to die and go to hell on something as flimsy as principle. Hell no. I'll tell Jebus I'm sorry and I won't be a dick no more if he'll let me come back home~! Then I'll die as a martyr and go hang out in heaven with my grandpa. Doesn't sound so bad. The Boss may be an asshole... but the air conditioning would sure be appreciated.

I agree somewhat, and it is good I think that you would believe because reality is reality, and if God revealed himself to humanity, it would then become real, and apart of reality. I do talk alot about belief of the boards because that is the foundation of these boards, peoples beliefs. If this was a car forum, it would be about cars.

But, I hold a similar position. I would ask to know everything, from day one, and my unanswered why's about things that have went wrong with my life, and walk as a Christian.

I think the trick to religion is that answers to the unanswerable questions are offered for which there is no proof. Ancient writings of several cultures claim to offer the truth, but they differ in more than a few details, and my personal experiences have not supported the existence of any beings.

Assume for a moment that you were confronted with a god that was very different from the one you think exists. I assume you would "believe" given enough evidence, or perhaps not. Maybe you would say to yourself, "I am being fooled!"? Or would you accept the evidence presented?

You seem to me to be an evidence kind of guy, but conditioned to expect that God is the Christian god. My exploration of the available evidence, including textual criticism, history, archeology, evolutionary biology, geology, and astronomy (among the few disciplies I examined) has left me convinced that there is certainly not a god that is interested in our little corner of the world. Particularly not Haiti.

The "why's" and "wherefore's" can sometimes be known, sometimes not. Sometimes it's not clear until years later what led to a particular event, but when you see the world uninhabited by demons and ghosts, it really all begins to make sense.

Now, in the hypothetical, belief in God or gods, given irrefutable evidence, would be a simple matter. I think it is better to be unsure than to be wrong generally, and with all of the conflicting stories I'll take the middle ground - that none of them are true.

Hi Abi. :wave:

If it was humanity's misconstruction, then it wouldn't be the God of the Bible (as commonly understood). All religions are the misconstruction of God. Or, a better way, an understanding of what they think God is/should be based on the human judgements of their own beliefs. The devil/Satan/hell are also miscontructions or reused mythology. In that case I would choose God as God does not belong to any story. But, the poster didn't mention anything about how they interpreted the Bible (unless I just didn't read it).

But honestly, which one looks more fun in this painting? Look at all the solem, unhappy, forever subjugated, worshipingforeternity, believers vs all that nakedness... :HaHa:

vanike.jpg

I voted neither, but I would ask a favor of God (seeing as, for the sake of this exercise, he's considered to be real).

Since the default position for not believing in him is eternal hellfire, I'd ask him to destroy me at the moment of my natural death. Destroy means wipe out of existence everything that I am - body, mind, souls, spirit, whatever. I'd take the Thanatistic option in preference to unending torment. Here torment would mean either Heaven or Hell. I couldn't stomach being in the presence of such flawed, selfish and fickle beings as God or Satan. Hmmm...maybe I should become a Buddhist and seek out annihilation in Nirvana? (Joke!)

BAA.

I viewed this question in the light of a conversation I had with someone once. It was more specific in the situation. He asked how I would react if the Rapture occurred, pretty much as described in the Left Behind novels - saints taken to heaven, chaos and 7 years of tribulation, anti christ, war etc etc.

I've always viewed the Rapture as a severe point against god's goodness. Its the most inhumane way of ending the whole sad story of his failure to redeem mankind I can think of. I this situation, I see Satan as the only force that can and does fight against this God.

I do firstly admit that if the Rapture occurs (or something else to convince me that God of the Bible is real), humanity is wholly screwed and this to me is the worst possible scenario. The supreme despair I would feel would very likely cause me to end my life before I even got down to deciding who to fight for.

The fact that Satan fights against God, while he must know that there is no hope of winning would encourage me to fight against him as well. I don't know if that counts as worship in the strictest definition, but from what the bible says to worship Satan just involves living against God. In that sense I would worship Satan.

Trying to put myself in this situation is really difficult. Its difficult to imagine being true, and its difficult to get past the horror and despair of it being true.

This is like a screwy version of pascal's wager isn't it? I also think I pick Satan in this situation because then hopefully the Christian talking to me realizes that I am a lost cause and goes away.

I do firstly admit that if the Rapture occurs (or something else to convince me that God of the Bible is real), humanity is wholly screwed and this to me is the worst possible scenario. The supreme despair I would feel would very likely cause me to end my life before I even got down to deciding who to fight for.

This very closely mirrors my realisation when deconverting. The thought that the Christian God might actually be real turned the entirety of existence into an orwellian nightmare.

One of the presuppositions in the OP is that 'the bible' is generally correct. That being the case, the outcome of this scenario isn't in question- Gawd wins. Period. And seeings how I'm a coward at heart- I'm not ABOUT to die and go to hell on something as flimsy as principle. Hell no. I'll tell Jebus I'm sorry and I won't be a dick no more if he'll let me come back home~! Then I'll die as a martyr and go hang out in heaven with my grandpa. Doesn't sound so bad. The Boss may be an asshole... but the air conditioning would sure be appreciated.

That's what I think. If I absolutely knew that worshiping god was the only possible way of avoiding eternal torment, I'd kiss his ass. It's just pragmatic.

That's what I think. If I absolutely knew that worshiping god was the only possible way of avoiding eternal torment, I'd kiss his ass. It's just pragmatic.

If this god were omniscient, we'd all be screwed anyway.

If this god were omniscient, we'd all be screwed anyway.

That's kinda what I worried about while deconverting.

Wow. That's something. A necroed thread coming back to life stronger than before.

This thread is so old the OP is my old screen name.

I'd still not worship Jesus or his Dad. Even if Christianity [as Christians understand it] was %100 true.

The basic premise of this is essentially a counter to a straw man question. It's intentionally stacked so that a particular answer is 'correct' and based on an assumption that there are only two choices. [Jesus or Satan.]

There was also a false assertion that he'd 'questioned' many Atheist about it and that they all claimed they would worship 'Satan'. [it was later revealed after a bit of prodding, that he did not actually know any atheists, and was just making an assumption based on the claim of another, which he could not verify.]

An attempt was made to disregard the only option that cannot be eliminated. As, no matter what, 'Neither' will always be a viable option.

The guy I was arguing against even tried to say 'you can't pick neither'. After I pointed out that it was the only option that cannot possibly be eliminated, he shut up about it and was forced to accept it as a viable answer.

His entire argument was that Atheist, given a choice, will always pick Satan, and not God, even if God was proven without a doubt to be real.

I also had to point out to this person that there is a difference between 'believing' in something and 'worshiping' it. He tried to pull 'if you believe in God, you worship him' as a valid argument.

Well, no. I pretty much forced him off that position as well.

Then the poll results became obvious, and well, he's not spoken on it since.

Put simply, I would not worship the Christian idea of God, even if it did exist.

Now, we're not talking Unitarian Jesus here. This is the common bread and butter Christian's view of God.

The same person who believes that every word of the Bible is correct. [Revelation, even if God is real, is not a given, as it presupposes an outcome. So, the option that God might not win is still a viable conclusion. No one has been 'cast into a lake of fire' yet.]

I would not worship the common Christian view of God. I still don't find that he would be worthy of worship. Not even as 'creator of all things'.

He's still petty, cruel, vindictive, vain, and bad tempered. I'd rather spend eternity as an ethereal being in a lake of fire than be anywhere near that thing.

If the best standard that the all powerful, omnipotent, omnipresent, Lord of the Universe can come up with for how good a person I am is 'how much I believed he existed' he's not worthy of my worship.

That's exactly what the Christian standard of 'goodness' is. Evil acts can be forgiven, evil deeds washed away, evil thoughts purified, but not believing in the invisible sky man. You're fucking screwed.

Nah. That's just petty and vain. Not worth wasting my time grovelling to.

Now, there's a bit of wiggle room for which particular 'Christian God' we're talking about. I know it varies a great deal.

However, for the purpose of this argument, it's the most commonly held belief of the general populace of Christ Land. So, pretty much the worst case scenario. The gay hating overlord who roasts people for eternity for calling him a bad name or thinking he's not real, but welcomes murderers, child molesters, and rapists into his eternal kingdom if they're 'sorry enough'.

No. I don't think I'll worship such an asshat, thanks.

In fact, if such a being does exist. I think the Universe will be better off once he's pissed off and made his 'Eternal Kingdom' elsewhere.

Sure, he might leave a bit of a mess, but in all honesty, I'm of a mind that sooner or later, even the flames of Hell will run out of fuel, and we'll be pretty well off for our eternity without him hanging over our heads.

So, no. I wouldn't say that it's unreasonable at all for anyone to say 'neither' even if he's proven to really exist.

He's not a very good deity to begin with and never really was. He's one of the poorest behaved and petty of his kind.

I mean, some of the other Gods were pretty cruel and petty, but I don't recall any of them torturing anyone forever just because they said their name in the wrong context or sending bears to maul children to death for calling someone without hair 'bald'.

It's not really pretending to have 'iron balls' or anything of the sort. It's not preening or self glorification. He's just not worthy of worshiping plain and simple.

Now, if the Christians are =wrong= about him and he's not the sort of being they claim he is, things might be different. However, as he's presented by the majority of the Christian faiths, not a chance.

He's just a poor excuse for a deity with poor standards for behavior and criteria for judgement.

Besides. If he's mad at me, I'll just run away using an iron chariot. He'll never catch me as long as I avoid going through any magic water tunnels.

I wouldn't worship Satan either.

Though, I do have less to complain about with him, he's still a bit of a douche. He appears to be Jesus/Yaweh's bitch in the majority of the Bible, and he supposedly has a lot to do with the whole 'suffering and evil' thing. [Even if he didn't actually create either of those things. He's apparently pretty good at causing both. Just ask Pat Robertson.]

So, my answer is still neither. Nothing's changed to convince me that either of the other options is any better than it was when I first posted this.

Guest Babylonian Dream

It was a hard pick between satan and neither. I chose satan, because according to xtians, he is responsible for my being able to discern good from evil, praise be to him if thats true. Now i can do good things by choice and have the free will to choose to burn in hell with Ghandi, than go to heaven with Adolf Hitler.

It was a hard pick between satan and neither. I chose satan, because according to xtians, he is responsible for my being able to discern good from evil, praise be to him if thats true. Now i can do good things by choice and have the free will to choose to burn in hell with Ghandi, than go to heaven with Adolf Hitler.

Interesting!

So according to the scriptures, Satan is responsible for Free Will.

Without a knowledge of good and evil, there can be no Free Will in choosing one over the other.

Most people seem to think that Free Will is a good thing.

Most people seem to think that Free Will is a good thing.

That's right. Most apologists argue that free will somehow justify all the evil in the world. Some philosophers even call it the Greater Good.