Goodbye Jesus

The Joy Of Being Stupid

nightflight

I bought a copy of Gary Zukav's "Dancing with the Wu Li Masters". This is supposed to be an easy introduction to quantum physics and how mind blowing it is. I got bogged down in chapter 2. Yikes. I have to confess, I hate science. I hated it in school, found it incredibly boring. Now when I was a child I was told I was "gifted", at least according to some tests I took. To be in those "gifted classes," I read years ago, (at least in my school) one had to have an IQ of at least 130. But honestly, I now think that my scoring high on that test was either a fluke or someone fucked up and got my test mixed up with another one. I get so quickly lost in books like the above, especially when the author is describing something. Its really frustrating when you know they are dumbing it down but you still don't grasp it. Really frustrating.

I think a lot of our ability to comprehend arises less from our native intelligence and more from our level of interest. I don't have any trouble understanding text written on a topic that fascinates me, no matter how arcane. Conversely, if a subject makes me yawn, I'm not able to follow info on it, no matter how simplified the presentation.

So go back to being smart, NF. :)

I think a lot of our ability to comprehend arises less from our native intelligence and more from our level of interest. I don't have any trouble understanding text written on a topic that fascinates me, no matter how arcane. Conversely, if a subject makes me yawn, I'm not able to follow info on it, no matter how simplified the presentation.

So go back to being smart, NF. :)

Thanks, maybe you are right. For me, perhaps I am right-brained (intuitive, emotional, wholistic). Things technical seem to lose me. I just finished Andy Newberg's Why God Won't Go Away; I found it to be an awesome read, but I had to slough through a couple of chapters where he explained the functions of various sections of the brain. However, the rest of the book was totally engaging to me; I was enthralled. But I wish I could comprehend more science writing so I could better understand the bigger picture.

Guest Davka

I'm willing to bet that you enjoy science shows on TV and have no trouble following them or being engaged. Intelligence expresses itself differently in different people. I love language, but I suck at math. I like big picture ideas, but details bore me. Does this make me dumber than someone who does computer programming but cannot do user interfaces? I don't think so - just different.

I feel the same way. I score high on IQ tests and was a gifted child, but sometimes I say the dumbest things. But I always come off as "smart" to people. Even my psychologist commented I talked as if my IQ was higher than normal, ehh, I don't see how.

• Super Moderator

In my many, many decades of experience and observation, it seems that everyone is smart at some things and stupid at others. I think the Fussbudget nailed it - you're good at what interests you and just can't muster much attention for that which doesn't.

Guest Davka
In my many, many decades of experience and observation, it seems that everyone is smart at some things and stupid at others.

In all fairness, I think we should make allowances for those rare, gifted individuals who are stupid at everything.