Goodbye Jesus

Agnostic Or What Label?

jason197754

So I don't want to call myself a christian but I'm not an athiest either. I like the term agnostic, but I'm not too comfortable with it or any label right now honestly. But the main reasons I left church and religion are/were becasue of: the judgemtnalism and hypocrisy and the legalism and hollier than thou attitude and the bigotry and that just have faith in God stuff and the prosperity stuff=God wants you to be rich and never get sick and all of those things, etc etc etc etc etc... My generation=generation X dosen't like having labels too much I think. Maybe Im a diest or something.

And see, where I live it seems like it's conservative. I mean, a lot of people don't go to church at all. But they are becomming more tolerant as a whole.

I have to say something else too. While I was in church/religion, I found out that I was/I like she-males/transvestites. I never told anyone at all in the churches that I went to. I first discovered this about me almost a year and a half ago. And this is me. It's part of me/who I am.

But all there is to do in my town/city is really=go to the mall or starbucks and go to the gym and be with family and that's about it. I'm serious!!!!

So any more ideas or suggestions?

Thanks...

Jason

P.s. this is helping me a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much again!!!!!!

So I don't want to call myself a christian but I'm not an athiest either. I like the term agnostic, but I'm not too comfortable with it or any label right now honestly. But the main reasons I left church and religion are/were becasue of: the judgemtnalism and hypocrisy and the legalism and hollier than thou attitude and the bigotry and that just have faith in God stuff and the prosperity stuff=God wants you to be rich and never get sick and all of those things, etc etc etc etc etc...

I was at this same point before deconverting. I considered myself unaffiliated with any religion. If someone asked me what my religion was, I would say "other". You don't have to adopt a label. For now, just enjoy being able to think for yourself.

• Super Moderator

You are unique. There's no need to label yourself. Everyone you meet will label you according to what they think they see anyway.

Jason,

Label yourself Jason. :)

If you absolutely necessarily need a label, perhaps non-theist is better? It's like a high-level, catch-all, label for agnostics, atheists, etc.

I agree with HanSolo - "non-theist" is a good way to go. Alternatively you could try "irreligious." It doesn't carry with it some of the connotative force that "atheist" does (see Julia Sweeney's anecdote about coming out. "Atheist? ATHEIST?!?") and still conveys an accurate image of your present perspective on religion. It's an adjective rather than a noun, which also helps it seem more like a simple descriptor rather than a label. The Wikipedia article on irreligion has a few more terms you might like to use when the sticky questions get asked.

seconded

seconded

Thirded

I have to admit though, I think "Jason the magnificent mammal" has a nice ring to it. :)

How about just labeling yourself a human being? It gets old when people want to put labels on

everything. I have no real beliefs or disbeliefs. I could care less what people label me, but

"human being" would be fine.

I agree you don't need to have a label to describe yourself. If you ever find a label you like, then you can use it if you wish, but you don't have to jump immediately into a new label if you're not comfortable with it yet. If someone asks you what you think about God or religion, you could always just tell them that you're not religious.