Goodbye Jesus

So Where Is The Supernatural Power?

cobrakai

Anybody watch Jon and Kate plus 8? If so, I hope not regularly because it is an awful show. I must be honest though and say I have caught enough episodes to know what they are about. I feel bad for the heartache I am sure they are going through but for the most part I am laughing heartily inside. Why? This was another middle america family that was raising their kids on what I call "Rainbows and Flowers Christianity". They did the whole megachurch scene and were even seen talking about their faith on the 700 Club. I could easily get on a rant about the joke that is "Moderate and Progressive Christianity" but I won't right now. The thing about all of this that makes me laugh is, if their faith was so strong, why is their marriage failing? Countless people accept Jesus and they say they "feel" him. I was one of those people until I was finally honest with myself. So if you feel Him then where is he when it really counts? People love to hike in nature, they gaze around at the beautiful scenery, they may get to a mountain top that looks like a fucking bob ross painting and they will exclaim, "Wow, you can really feel the presence of God out here". Why? Because you feel good at that moment? Everything is pretty? Where is this ALMIGHTY god for the little things in life. The evidence of life shows that IF there is a God that apparently we are all just sent here by Him and then he watches and laughs as we bump into each other. It is only at key coincidental and ambiguous moments that he really exisits. If a believer has a loved one that is cured of their cancer they give all the glory to god. If they lose that loved one they just say, "well we can't understand god but Im sure he just wanted to bring grandma home." Really? So it was grandma's time to go home so god just decided the best way to do that is to give her a disease where she could suffer in pain for 6months? Please. If this almighty God existed and the holy spirit was really in all of us Im sure there would be more evidence of the POWER that this would bring into our lives. What is the evidence of this? That Christians are nice? I live in the tri-county area of Michigan. We have more churches here than gas stations. I am thinking that if there are so many churches here why do I still run into so many assholes, where is all the supernatural power that should be making this area a fucking paradise? Actually I know a lot of genuinely nice people that don't believe in shit and I know a lot of backstabbing, manipulative, bible thumping assholes. I laugh at former friends who would say " God is really working in my life, he helped me get that promotion" So god is worried about your selfish fuck promotion but he cant save the woman getting raped in Darfur? Maybe you should have prayed this " God I know your power is limited and you are very picky about who you really show yourself to, so please instead of giving me my promotion save the woman in darfur instead." That sounds more christian to me right? I just look at my own life while I had a strong faith but yet God did not: Save my parents marriage (both were Christians), help me end addictions, save my brother from mental illness, prevent almost everybody in my extended family from getting cancer, save my uncle from his alcoholism, help my business grow. Some may look at this and think I looked at faith as if it was supposed to reward me. Well yeah I do! Because that is what you are fucking taught! "God will work in your life", "God does amazing things in your life"....yeah truly fucking amazing. Don't lose my point here, yes I am angry and bitter, but I am not whining about the things that have gone wrong in my life. I have realized that that is just life. But it makes a lot more fucking sense without God than with. To all the Christians out there, there is no supernatural power that comes with it. It is all psychological, you are just convincing yourself of it.

Guest fathersonholyshit

completley agree. Where is all this supernatural power. Its all bullshit. god is doing nothing nowhere, not in anybodys life. Prayer has not worked not even once.

I think the Christian Evangelicals are their own worst enemy. For the last 40 years they continuously spout this 'Name it and Claim it' bullshit effectively drawing attention to themselves. The problem is.....it doesn't work. Eventually everyone discovers that this doesn't work and becomes critical of ALL Christianity. Thereby reducing the number of 'believers' each generation.

I love it when they start making predictions and bold statements like claims of healing ability. It's not just Benny Hinn. Their all over this country in small churches claiming miraculous healings and other fantastic stories. But if you turn a light on their claims they scatter like roaches every time. My father in law is in one of these super evangelic churches where they believe in healing sessions. The pastor's own wife died of cancer on Christmas Eve and they STILL believe in healing. It's utterly the stupidest cult I've ever seen.

Guest Davka
The thing about all of this that makes me laugh is, if their faith was so strong, why is their marriage failing?

Satan is twisting their Godly love through the evil medium of reality TV. And God is too weak or apathetic to stop him.

Oh, the humanity.

Great rant! :3:

I've wondered a lot of those same things myself.

Stuff like your point about Darfur bugged the hell out of me. It's a miracle because God told my friend to give someone a bible in the Dairy Queen, but he chooses to do fuck-all while his CHRISTIAN followers in the Sudan are raped and killed by gangs of thugs? What kind of priorities does this God have?

What kind of priorities does this God have?

He likes white people best.

White people with money, you mean.

Guest Davka

Well, yeah. White men with money, if you want to get picky about it.

White people with money and armies.

Guest Davka

Sheesh, everybody's a critic.

White men with money and armies and winning football teams.

Freakin' hilarious. Of course, as stupid as it sounds to you, the strength and success of white people was at one point or another well integrated into Mormonism (i.e. Black people pissed someone off in a past life). Can't forget manifest destiny either, "God wants us to run all the Native Americans out of here and take this continent over from coast to coast."

A little OT, but I get the impression that Jon and Kate are just pulling a stunt.

Sheesh, everybody's a critic.

White men with money and armies and winning football teams.

...and who think that Sarah Palin is "hot".

What's amazing is the amount of people who think that God is going to help them make money through their faith. Yeah, that New Testament story of Jesus turning turnips into gold bullion was quite remarkable. And the constant sermonizing about how faithfull people will have neat things, like homes, and jewellry and fine raiments. Yeah, those are my favourite parts of the the Jesus story. Like, it's just so spiritual, man. There's got to be a reason that Creflo Dollar et al have mansions and stuff. It's their reward for faith, and being so "spiritual". Yeah, that's it. I mean, Jesus was just made for America.

Just believe in "trickle-down" miracles. Just believe.

Guest fathersonholyshit

The God channel loves your money, and the people who give all these assholes their money are stupid. I used to be one of them.

Just believe in "trickle-down" miracles. Just believe.

Actually, now that you mention it, the "trickle-down" doctrine applied to miracles explains a whole hell of a lot!

1. In conservative Christian circles, Ronald Reagan has pretty much fully replaced the apostle Paul as the central figure of Christian worship.

2. Note in the last ten years, the increasing prevalence in right-wing Christian sermons of the use of the jargon term, "God's economy," as applied to spiritual matters.

3. As mentioned by others, the whole "prosperity gospel" circus, in which money is a sign of god being pleased with the given Christian.