Goodbye Jesus

So, What Do You Think Happens To Us When/after We Die?

jason197754

I think that we will either cease to exist totally/completely or that we will come back to life as another person/as another human being. I'm hoping that I can come back as another person and do it over again better than this time!!!!

What do you all think happens/will happen?

Jason

Nothing. We die, that's about it. I don't know that anything happens after, but I've never seen anything to make me think there is.

What Do You Think Happens To Us When/after We Die?

We rot. But it won't bother you when you do so.

This about sums up my thoughts:

A Christian Meets The Invisible Pink Unicorn

Guest Davka

Reincarnation is bunk. Why do I say this? Because if I don't remember my past (or past life), then I am no longer "me" in any sense of the word. My self-awareness is dependent in part on my memories. Without them, I have no idea who "I" am.

If what is reincarnated is the "life essence" of what currently animates my body (assuming such a thing even exists) but not my personality or memories, then "I" am not reincarnated. That's like taking an ice cube, melting it, putting it into a tray, re-freezing it, and claiming that it is the same ice cube. It isn't. It's the same water, but in a different configuration.

Since I don't remember any previous lives, I assume they did not exist. If they did, it wasn't "me" living them.

Whether there is anything non-physical that constitutes "me" is impossible to say. I know that when my brain shuts down--for example, if I pass out--I stop existing for all intents and purposes. When it starts up again, I take up where I left off, with no awareness of intermediate time. This leads me to believe that I am dependent on a functioning brain in order to exist. So it's hard to imagine that anything I could call "me" will continue to exist when my brain is a rotting mass of gelatinous goo. I would like to believe otherwise, but facts are facts.

Yeah, I’m in agreement with most of the others here. But I would rephrase it. I believe that our minds cease to exist and our bodies are recycled back into our ecosystem.

I heard a guy say once that he wasn’t afraid of death; he was afraid of the process of dying. And that makes some sense to me.

Davka your post makes me once again ask… What do I mean when I say “I” or “me”? I’ve seen many different things that suggest that our idea of a unified self is largely an illusion.

What happens? I don't know. No one here does.

It's simply the next step in our life journey - we were born, therefore we must die. Perhaps our life energy is reincarnated, perhaps we just cease, perhaps we become part of the Force. Nothing I do is going to affect the outcome, therefore for myself, there is little need to think about it beyond the fact that it will happen.

No one really knows. I don't think consciousness is well understood. Life is a process, and is ever changing and taking different form. The sense of a separate self or the "I" is probably an illusion.

Regarding reincarnation, if memory ends at death we would never know it happened, unless memory is stored somewhere else other than the brain (which is destroyed). If our memories are stored elsewhere, then where?

:lmao: My thoughts exactly.

If it makes you feel any better, imagine death being like sleep. There are times when you sleep when you don't dream and are unaware of anything around you.

If I have to come back and go through life again like I did this current trip, I'd rather stay dead.

I have no way to comment on what happens when we die since no one has ever actually come back to tell me what is waiting or not.

My fantasy is an afterlife such as the 'happy hunting grounds' of American Indians or some other realm without strife.

No one really knows. I don't think consciousness is well understood. Life is a process, and is ever changing and taking different form. The sense of a separate self or the "I" is probably an illusion.

Regarding reincarnation, if memory ends at death we would never know it happened, unless memory is stored somewhere else other than the brain (which is destroyed). If our memories are stored elsewhere, then where?

I suspect that consciousness, like memory, requires active brain cells.

I think that it is "Game Over" when we die, and I am O.K. with that. Good thing, since there is nothing I can do about it! :grin:

Why not ask the question, what happened before life? Where was my consicousness before I was conceived, or even after (as I have no memories for a few years of my life like everyone else on earth).

I thoroughly enjoy the idea that I will degrade and the molecules of my body will be returned to the planet - to the soil, to the plants, to the birds, to the animals, to the food and yes, back into human beings and other things. Eventually the earth itself will be consumed by the Sun in its expansion and thats also okay. What makes us exist will continue existing after consciousness, just like it existed before our consciousness. The Universe doesn't waste anything, nothing is really lost. I mean, we can all hope that consciousness remains in some way after death - I know that I really like the idea of existing forever as a conscious being be it physical or spiritual. But who knows. I am okay with just knowing that physically nothing is lost and that I am a part of the greater whole. What is so terrible about being a part of nature and going through the same thing everything else has to go through?

A lot of the past lives stories I have read, along with some others who claim to contact the other side (no, not the commies!) indicate that we are spirits having a human experience and that remembering too much of previous incarnations gets in the way of this experience so it is suppressed. Occasionally, a child remembers stuff from a prior life that was traumatic such as being killed and eaten by dogs, or a girl remembering being a black man in the Civil War. Can it be proven? It hasn't been so far, but there are some intriguing stories.

I asked some folks that believe in this way about the concept of judgment, and they said there isn't really one and that once we die we re-realize who we are and regain a clarity that puts our lives back into perspective with the goals we set out to achieve in this incarnation, and with the ultimate direction of "source or god". (How's that for a run-on sentence!)

They say that we hold on to certain likes and dislikes, and sometimes show birthmarks indicating how we died previously (if it was traumatic), but that we can change gender and roles within our chosen group of spirits. Mother can become son, daughter becomes dad or brother, etc.

What do I think? No idea if we continue or not, but it is interesting to investigate and ponder.

When I die... my mind, my being, my consciousness simply ends while life around continues marching.

Death is a gentleman too. He makes good losers of us all. I understand death. Men have always taken it too seriously. Life is more terrifying and more mysterious. Proteus IV, Demon Seed

What happens after death? No one who could tell about it knows already. No one who knows can talk. :)

Maybe there's nothing and we all cease to exist totally. Maybe there's some kind of afterlife, or seventeen of them. Me, I can wait until I find out ;)

With any luck, become ashes dumped in the dirt or waters of a place of natural beauty.

I think the afterlife is more of a metaphysical thing, what we choose and see is what we getting. Then again I find the whole idea of oblivion after death a little too creepy for my tastes. I just like living too much.

Guest Melodramy

If I can't invent an afterlife in my imagination for a dandelion, butterfly or tapeworm on what evidence would I consider myself so special and biologically different as to require one for myself. Repeating what others have said: I imagine the experience after death is exactly the same as the experience before I was born.

Want to know what happens when we die? check this out: http://www.afterlife101.com/Chapter1.html

Aren't the "inter-webs" wonderful? :grin: You can find a answer for everything. The above link is probably about just

as good a guess as any.

But, seriously, nobody can be absolutely certain until they experience death personally.

Maybe portions of our consciousness continues in another form, sorta like dreaming when you are asleep.

Part of me would like to keep living on in some form indefinitely, and another part of me would just be

content in oblivion. But, who knows. Maybe one day we will all find out simultaneously or it can be answered

scientifically for certain.

...birthmarks indicating how we died previously...

I have a mark on the back of my left shoulder. Does that mean I was Joan d'Arch (she got speared in the shoulder during a battle)? :P

Consciousness is a strange thing.

I think the linear experience of time is an illusion dependent on a physical body's continued existence.

It is possible that the last glimmer of consciousness, at the moment of death is subjectively experienced as an infinity of time. A small moment that lasts for an eternity.

Just a weird thought I've had knocking around in my brain for a while.