Goodbye Jesus

Recipe For Belief -- Or Logical Dissaster?

R. S. Martin

Yesterday I copied this note from my sister's fridge:

We use our will to believe, receive, but not to exert effort in trying to accomplish what only God can do. Our hope for victory over sin is not "Christ plus my efforts" but "Christ plus my receiving."

Let's take that apart.

1. We use our will to believe

I'm thinking, no wonder I never "got" it. This is exactly opposite to logic. It is impossible to believe that for which there is no evidence. Belief is not a choice or act of the will; therefore, we cannot use our will to believe. People who do use their will to "believe" are choosing blind belief.

2. but not to exert effort in trying to accomplish what only God can do. Our hope for victory over sin is not "Christ plus my efforts"

In other words, people should never do anything to improve their situation??? Never do their own thinking??? Should humans take no responsibility for their own efforts--or lack thereof???

3. but "Christ plus my receiving."

I have no idea what this means. Sounds awfully passive.

The entire thing sounds so very backwards, but possibly it appeals to a person who dislikes thinking. It allows "God" to do one's thinking and lets oneself off the hook.

Phanta, thank you for a wonderful post. I just found it now.

I used to be encouraged to see radical Christian right-wingers face some real Truth (humbling, the breaking of the black and white, slow awakening/transformation to "not always so"), like Ted Haggard is right now...but since it has hit me so close to home and I've witnessed the deep inner brokenness this crap leads to, I mostly just...I don't know...hurt. It's like something sticky and foul has gotten on my fingers, and the harder I try to rub it off, the more places it gets stuck on me.

It's because of how much damage this did me in childhood. This follows me around, it does.

Yuck.

You kind of lost me in the part I bolded. Maybe that's because I don't know too much about your life and I apologize if it's too personal.

I read the other thread you linked and also this article on Ted Haggard, but somehow, I'm not cluing in. No need to respond if it is too personal.