Goodbye Jesus

Headaches Fucking Suck

Skeptic

Headaches are seriously fucking evil. I've been having these damned things since I was six years old. So fourteen fucking years. Fourteen years of headaches. Goddamn. Medication doesn't work, either. Why haven't I been to the doctor about this, you ask? I did once when I was 17 because I was just so sick of it by that point. They gave me a blood test that I didn't need and then called me back and said, "Duh, your headaches don't seem to have any physical cause," and it was never discussed again. I'll probably end up going to the doctor about it again, but the same thing will probably end up happening. I don't want to be fucking sixty years old and still having headaches. This is part of the reason why I don't have much work experience: I'd come home every day from school with a headache and I'd have to sleep because that's the only thing that gets rid of them. Medicine doesn't do jack shit. Who wants to work when they're having debilitating headaches? Jeez. Maybe I need brain surgery. This is just unbelievably absurd.

I saw a neurologist specializing in migraines. It got the job done. My usual GP is generally no help. I go there because I need refills and the like.

mwc

Guest Marty

I get them all the time too, and doctors have been unable to give me a reason. However, I think it has to do with allergies and/or food preservatives.

First of all, go get yourself tested for environmental allergies. I had no idea until last year that I am allergic to South Florida. I have very little symptoms of it, and at first I thought they were just trying to get me to spend money on shots. But I've been following local pollen levels since then, I do feel worse on days when certain pollen is high.

I've also drastically changed my diet in the last 2 years to an almost completely natural one. I do not eat preservatives anymore (or I at least try not to), no hydrogenated oil, etc. When I slip up and go to a restaurant or order a pizza, I get a MONSTER headache within 2 days of eating it.

I don't think they're migraines, but I'll mention something about it to a GP. Maybe he'll refer me to a neurologist. I'm trying to remember all the things that I thought were causing it. I remember when I was in 6th grade, which is when I needed glasses, I thought that was what it was. At the optometrist's office, they asked me questions like can you see the board, do you get headaches often, etc. and I said that I did get headaches often, but they didn't go away even when I could see better. I thought I had allergies for awhile and I took Benadryl, but I don't remember if that got rid of the headaches or not. I don't think it did. I broke my nose when I was 8 years old and my mom started blaming the headaches on that, but I remember having them before that happened. I don't know. It's a mystery. All I know is that I'm sick of them and that 14 years of having headaches is waaay too long. I was reading the back of this one headache medicine that I tried (it also didn't work) and it said, "Contact your doctor if you've been having headaches for a month or longer" or something like that. I lol'd.

In addition to the above suggestions if you haven't a few chiroprator visits would be another one. It's not a miracle cure, but a cervical misalignment can be a cause of chronic headaches.

I'll add in that herniated disks causing a lovely case of sciatica also sucketh big time. I've had seasonal migraines for years, and I think this back pain is far worse, although debilitating migraines are just as effective of making one unable to function.

I'm kind of skeptical of chiropractors. My mom went to one for quite awhile for back pain and it ended up getting worse, not better. I've also heard that health insurance doesn't cover chiropractor visits.

My aunt told me earlier that my dad often gets headaches. Maybe I have some weird genetic thing? :shrug: He also got his nose broken and doctors thought that he was having sinus headaches that were due to a deviated nasal septum. My mom thought I had that, and if I brought up that I was still having headaches to her, she'd probably say that was what's wrong with me. I went to an ENT after my nose got broken, though, and I got surgery, so I don't know why I'd have that. Plus I'd been having them before I even got my nose broken, so that rules that out.

Caffene and aspirin work for me, but my headaches are rare and pretty minor.

My wife worked at a neurology clinic for a few years while she was in grad school, and she says that those guys could often get results when the GP was stumped. Might be worth a try.

I can sympathize. I get headaches a lot too, usually more now from stress, this stupid LCD screen (lol), and sometimes when too many people are talking for long periods of time (like back in High School).

The other reason I get them is because of my sinuses. It was even bad back then because I had an MRI for constant head pain, and they ruled out it was because my sinuses are that bad. I'm just glad that Tylenol and Equate pain relievers help me lose my headaches, or at least help when I go to sleep to get rid of them.

At one point in my life, I suffered from monthly migraines that coincided with my menstrual cycle. I had them every month for a couple of years while the doctor tried one medication after another. The only medication that helped was Depakote, which is used to treat seizures and convulsions and/or manic episodes. The headaches subsided, but one of the side effects was extremely vivid dreams. The dreams were so vivid that I discovered one morning that I had actually bitten off my fingernails in my sleep because I was directed to do so in my dream. I weaned myself off of the medication at that point and thankfully, the headaches eventually stopped.

About a week ago, I woke up with a debilitating headache. It surprised me since I rarely get them anymore. But after thinking about it, I realized that I had been drinking a lot of diet drinks with aspartame. I bought a whole bunch of Crystal Light drink mixes and the day before the headache, I drank 10 -12 glasses of the stuff. Skeptic, is it possible that your headaches could be caused by something that you are eating or drinking?

One other thing comes to mind that I will share. My ex-husband insisted that his frequent headaches were caused by constipation. He swore that if he had regular bowel movements that he did not get headaches. I don’t know if there is any truth to this but just in case, I make sure I eat plenty of fiber!

Good luck! I hope you find an answer and get some relief. I have to agree with you, headaches fucking suck!!!

"A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines."

Source: http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm

I think that me drinking Diet Cola gave me more headaches. Plus, aspartame makes me feel sick and it tastes like shit. Plus, anything diet-soda is worse for my weight, as I don't need to gain more.

• Super Moderator

Guess I can chime in with my list of primary causes of headaches.

Dental problems. TMJ. Misaligned spine. Allergies. Toxins (that's where constipation comes in). Irregular sleep or eating patterns.

There are damn few things more debilitating than a killer headache. Best of luck to you in finding the cause.

I had migranes for years as a kid. I got allergy tested & they were able to prescribe a series of allergy shots - 1/week for couple of years. Since then I've been basically free. I'll still get one if I have a lot of chocolate (one of my allergies) on an empty stomach, but not a migrane. Look into allegry testing. Anything beats having massive headaches all the time.

I find a cup of black coffee (no sugar) cures my headaches. I have a degenerated disk in my neck; I inherited that from my mother. I found out about it roughly three years ago; I was working on a job that had me looking up all the time. My neck was cracking and painful by the end of the day. An X-ray showed the culprit; now I'm very careful about not turning my head too fast, and I avoid looking upwards for extended periods of time. I can no longer do jobs that have me looking up all day.

On top of that, my left knee isn't so good anymore; after an hour or so of bike riding and it's shot. A mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome, left over from the years of working at a computer. Some nerve gets pinched in my shoulder from time to time, and that's so painful it's debilitating. Fortunately, those other problems come and go; my neck is (so far) the only persistent problem.

I'm only 37. I suppose that's not so young anymore, but I wasn't expecting these kinds of joint problems until my 50's.

Guest ephymeris

I'll chime in too. I have headaches which I'm fairly sure aren't migraines (I don't have any of the neurological symptoms that often accompany migraines except light sensitivity). I was having headaches that would last for DAYS of pain that ranged from exhaustingly dull to intolerably sharp. I was taking prescription doses of ibuprofen several times a day for weeks on end. I would try to sleep the headache off but often I woke up with a worse headache not to mention the fact that the headache kept me from ever really acheiving deep sleep. The causes for my headaches are multifaceted including sleep deprivation, multitrauma (i've had 2 bad car accidents), and genetics (i have hypermobile joints that are prone to instability). That's why I was helped by chiropractic.

My husband is a chiropractor and if I he adjusts me once every 4-6 weeks, it keeps my headaches at bay. If I get a headache, I get a cervical adjustment and some ART muscle work that fixes it. I'm no longer dependent on medicine, which is a plus for me. My husband is a good, medically based chiropractor but you have to be careful about which chiro you choose because many are quacks who believe in auras, energies, chakras, applied kinesiology, and other non-empirically based bullshit.

Chiro worked for me but the sad fact is there are tons of reasons people have headaches from physical issues (posture and musculature) like me, chemical sensitivity (aspartame and sugar), food allergies, environmental factors (stress, smoke), visual factors, neurological factors (migraines, fibromyalgia) so it's part science and part luck to figure out what the problem is. I have had several friends with their own headache issues and none of them have had the same "fix" or origin of problem. Even my migraine friends have different triggers. Keep looking, seek medical help, good luck!

The headaches subsided, but one of the side effects was extremely vivid dreams. The dreams were so vivid that I discovered one morning that I had actually bitten off my fingernails in my sleep because I was directed to do so in my dream. I weaned myself off of the medication at that point and thankfully, the headaches eventually stopped.

Wow. That's horrible. I'm glad that the headaches eventually went away. That would be a terrible choice to have to make, though: extremely vivid dreams or headaches.

About a week ago, I woke up with a debilitating headache. It surprised me since I rarely get them anymore. But after thinking about it, I realized that I had been drinking a lot of diet drinks with aspartame. I bought a whole bunch of Crystal Light drink mixes and the day before the headache, I drank 10 -12 glasses of the stuff. Skeptic, is it possible that your headaches could be caused by something that you are eating or drinking?

I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, especially Nutra-sweet and aspartame. It doesn't seem to be related to any particular food that I can think of. That is an idea, though. I didn't think of that.

Good luck! I hope you find an answer and get some relief. I have to agree with you, headaches fucking suck!!!

Thanks. I'm going to go to a GP about it sometime soon. Hopefully they'll know what they're talking about or could refer me to someone who does.

I got a headache earlier when my aunt asked me where this one bag of hers was. I was trying to remember where I had last seen it and I couldn't, and after about five minutes of trying to figure this out, I realized that I had a headache. It went away once I decided to stop thinking about it. I got one just now because I was expecting the shoutbox to lag and it doesn't anymore. I occasionally get headaches from the shoutbox lagging, so it's kind of backwards to get one because the shoutbox doesn't lag. WTF? Maybe I'm just extremely sensitive? Maybe I have some neurological problem? :shrug: Dunno.

Guest ephymeris

I got a headache earlier when my aunt asked me where this one bag of hers was. I was trying to remember where I had last seen it and I couldn't, and after about five minutes of trying to figure this out, I realized that I had a headache. It went away once I decided to stop thinking about it. I got one just now because I was expecting the shoutbox to lag and it doesn't anymore. I occasionally get headaches from the shoutbox lagging, so it's kind of backwards to get one because the shoutbox doesn't lag. WTF? Maybe I'm just extremely sensitive? Maybe I have some neurological problem? :shrug: Dunno.

I would skip the GP if you could and go straight to a neurologist.

If you're not married, then don't get married. Also, don't tell my wife I said that. :Hmm:

Sorry you are suffering with the headaches, Skeptic, I know it isn't fun. I have had migraines for years. However, I rarely get them now, and if I do they aren't as bad as they use to be.

I would like to suggest to you a herb that has been used for hundreds of years for migraines or bad headaches, and that is Feverfew. I take feverfew capsules, and also ginkgo biloba. A good combo. The feverfew can be taken as a preventative and as something to take on the onset of a headache too. I believe this herb is the reason why I have improved so much.

I also agree with the other sentiments about what kind of foods you eat. possibly consider eliminating sugar and junk food and go for more natural whole foods etc. It is amazing how food and drink can be the culprit for many illnesses. It can be something you have consumed your whole life, and you don't necessarily have to have an immediate reaction to it either. Food sensitivities are very common and many people do not realise that food is the culprit behind the health problem. Common offenders: Wheat, milk/dairy, corn.

So Anyhow, I hope you find something that will bring you relief. The solution may well be at your fingertips and be very simple. I would consider doing some research and being your own health investigator. Doctors are all well and good but I am all for finding natural alternative solutions whenever possible.

I wouldn't put it down to neuroligical problems just yet, consider all what people have suggested here. It is well worth doing the research.

Good luck

Sorry you are suffering with the headaches, Skeptic, I know it isn't fun. I have had migraines for years.

Dude, I don't think your avitar is helping...;)

Sorry you are suffering with the headaches, Skeptic, I know it isn't fun. I have had migraines for years.

Dude, I don't think your avitar is helping... ;)

I was wondering what the heck you were talking about, then I looked at my avatar, aaargh the pain. LOL.

I went to the doctor earlier today. He thinks it's migraines and he wrote me a Rx for that. I also got a CT scan because the headaches were more frequent, plus I've been having intermittent "episodes" of blurred vision. I'm just glad that I finally found a doctor that didn't instantly dismiss them as "tension headaches". Silly doctors.

My sister used to get bad headaches and then she found out she was allergic to red dye 50...which is in quite a few foods.