Goodbye Jesus

What?

chefranden

When I click "View New Content", and then click on the title itself for the topic, I automatically get to the last/newest posts in that thread. In the old forum it took you to the first. It doesn't do that for you Vig?

Nope, it takes me to the first post. Both on my laptop at home and my desktop at the office.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox btw.

Yeah.. Essentially, the View New Content feature is problematic. I thought I would just summarize the issues here:

1) You can't see who created each topic

2) You can't skip to the last post in a topic

3) It is harder to see because its not set in a grid like everything else

4) Once you click on a topic, its removed from the View New Content. Previously, it stayed on the recent topics list as a clicked hyperlink, but now it dissapears completely.

5) Its a super slow load -- apparently because its an RSS feed. :shrug:

So at least until problem 4 is fixed, it is probably going to be easier to scan the forum sections individually rather than with the View New Content page.

Other than that, its perfect. :D

• Like 1

Guest Marty

Another Plus is that I seem to stay logged on now! :)

Vigile, we can still skip to the last post, but the link has changed to the date in the far right column. Just click that and your at the end!

That only works from the main forum page. If you click on the "view new content" link it gives you RSS links that force you to go to the first post first.

We used to be able to click on a "go to unread posts" link that let you see all posts you haven't yet read. Now it's RSS with the problem mentioned above. I don't like going to the main forum page because it only shows the last post in each section. If I want to see all posts I've not yet read I would have to open each forum. This is an extra drag on the server and really a pain in the ass.

I hate to complain as I know Dave is always looking to improve the site. Hopefully this is just considered constructive commentary as it's intended to be.

Ah, didn't know what you meant at first!

And apparently the overhaul has NOT fixed my log in problem...oh well...just gota post quickly now I guess! :)

Nope, it takes me to the first post. Both on my laptop at home and my desktop at the office.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox btw.

Oh, I know why.

All posts and threads were set to "Unread" for everyone. If you click (there's a button somewhere) to set everything as "read" (I know, it sucks at first), then the "View new" should only give you the new posted threads, and the link will only give the news posts.

Blah. Me no likey.

But I'll get used to it *grumbles*

Am I obtuse? Where are the PMs? I can't seem to locate them.

I like the new look but the quoting function seems inconsistant, lot of qoutes not showing properly. Where is this rating system thing> I didn't see a button for it?

Am I obtuse? Where are the PMs? I can't seem to locate them.

I just sent you a PM and said you can view the online members list and click on the envelope on the right side of the screen. However, I just noticed that the same little envelope is located under your avatar and chevron, so it is even easier than I thought!

Good luck!!!

noob

I like the new look but the quoting function seems inconsistant, lot of qoutes not showing properly. Where is this rating system thing> I didn't see a button for it?

I think the quoting works as we add new posts, but I don't think the quotes carried over from the old format. This makes it a little challenging to read old threads.

The rating system is at the bottom of each post. But things continue to change! The other night there were two buttons - a red minus sign and a green plus sign. Today all I see is the green plus sign. I guess this means we are all going to have a neutral zero reputation or a positive one!

Smart move, that. Removes the potential for abuse while still retaining the positive feature.

I'll get used to it. The new format does present a little more lag on my system than the old.

Can anyone tell me where the "Mark all posts read" or something similar is on the View New Content page? I can't seem to find it, so for the time being I have over 25000 unread posts. :shrug:

Oh wow, I found it. FYI for anyone else that's having trouble finding it, it's at the very bottom of the page in small print.

I only have two complaints. 1) I don't like how you have to go to a separate page on your profile just to see your friends. 2) The white background is very bright. Other than that, I like the new look.

I don't like how it doesn't prompt you to a separate tab/window when you click on a link. That may just be my personal preference.

Is it just me or does anyone else's browser sometimes freezes for a few seconds when you use the fast reply function?

Guest Davka

Can anyone tell me where the "Mark all posts read" or something similar is on the View New Content page? I can't seem to find it, so for the time being I have over 25000 unread posts. :shrug:

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the View New Content page. There are some links over towards the left, the last one is "Mark Board As Read."

Guest Davka

The white background is very bright.

OK, here's where some options to change that are:

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page (any page, I'm pretty sure), and look for these dropdown boxes on the left:

Image3-1.jpg

The dropdown that says "default skin" gives some options for changing the look-and-feel of the board. Hopefully they will be loading more skins as time goes on.

Here's some other cool stuff:

Up at the top right, where your profile name is . . . Image1.jpg

. . . if you click on the white arrow to the right of your nick, there's a dropdown. Click on "My Settings." Image2.jpg

Now you're on your settings page. Over on the left, under the shoutbox, there are some tabs available: Image4.jpg

Check out the different tabs - profile, forums, etc. There's a bunch of useful stuff in there.

Guest Davka

Is it just me or does anyone else's browser sometimes freezes for a few seconds when you use the fast reply function?

It's not just you. I've actually had to shut down and restart my browser a few times. Firefox, latest build.

The interface is a bit buggy in places. But it seems to be getting better. Rolling out something new like this always takes a while to fine-tune. Give it time.

Okay, this thread is helping a bunch!

Couple of points:

1) I miss the direct link to PM's. When I click on anyone's PM link, my screen takes on a grey hue and freezes. Refresh clears it, but very odd. I can circumvent it by opening it in a new window (right-click the icon and select New Window). The only way to my mailbox is through other peoples PM links.

2) I don't like change. :( If it ain't broke, don't break it! ;)

3) A spellchecker! WOO HOO! :woohoo: