Goodbye Jesus

Told My Family Today

Guest Caleb

Guest Caleb

I lost my faith a couple months ago and thought it would be a very long time before I was ready to come out, but after a grueling church service (in which atheists and agnostics were called "close-minded" and "resistant to the truth") I told my parents and family about my de-conversion. I was terrified spitless, and it took me all day to work up the courage. It was hard and not that much fun, but not as awful as I feared. I'm really glad now that I got it off my chest early (and that I don't have to go to church next week).

I've been reading posts and extimonies on here for a few weeks now and thought I'd use this opportunity to introduce myself. :)

Welcome to the site. I'm glad things went well with your announcement. :)

mwc

Welcome, Caleb! I'm glad things went better with your folks than expected.

Loren

Congrats about telling your family. Good luck coming out as an ex-Christian.

Nothing is more courageous and beautiful than ridding one's mind of the ghosts and goblins of Christianity. Congratulations and well done! Perhaps this will give others in your family the chance to honestly evaluate the religion themselves. My family is all bound up in missionary work, so when I pointed out that the Emperor was Naked, there was nothing they could do, they were the chief defenders of the Emperor's fantasy clothes! But hopefully yours can step back from the madness.

Congratulations for working up the courage! It really is a great thing to take that chance, to live the same life inside and out.

Welcome!

Welcome! I'm glad the experience went better than expected for you. I hope your parents can continue to be understanding.

Welcome! And congratulations.

Keep us posted on any "aftermath" that takes place.

I look forward to reading your ideas and posts.

Welcome! Congrats on not having to go to church anymore!

Guest Caleb

Thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement, all :D .

So far, my father has pretty rigidly avoided any discussion on the topic, but my mother has been a bit more open; she has even agreed to read relevant articles against Christianity if I would point her to them. I think it's mostly out of respect for me, but, who knows, maybe something will make an impact. The situation is actually quite a reversal of what I expected; my dad tends to be a little bit more laid back and intellectual, with my mom being a bit more dogmatic...

I hope to write and post an extimony eventually, so keep your eyes peeled (sneak peek: My story involves a 5-month stay in a frighteningly charismatic and Fundamentalist Christian camp in Ghana, Africa :eek: ).

I hope to write and post an extimony eventually, so keep your eyes peeled (sneak peek: My story involves a 5-month stay in a frighteningly charismatic and Fundamentalist Christian camp in Ghana, Africa eek.gif ).

Welcome... and with a teaser like that, if you don't post it I'll personally hunt you down like a 3rd century Cardinal looking for unauthorized versions of the Gospel. Seriously, I look forward to reading it.

Mongo