Goodbye Jesus

Christians Can't Make Me Feel Bad About Being Homeless

Urban Monk

Whats up guys? OK check out my situation. I don't have a house or apartment 2 live in. I stay in city parks and sleep in my car. I use a car power inverter for electricity. I also use outlets in parks for electricity. I'm homeless but I'm happy. Hopefully I can inspire people who make low income.

Now some may say that this is insanity, but I say its pleasure. How? u may ask. Because I don't have any bills 2 pay. Its a headache having 2 give your hard earned cash to landlords and utility companies. I keep a fair amount of money plus I don't have to worry about having to wait too long to save up just in case of a car emergency. I get to have fun everyday because I can shop how I want to, eat what I want to, and go hang out like I want to at clubs, bars, and any other social events.

My family seem to have a problem with this. And yes, they are Christian. They say that this is foolish and dangerous. They feel that I can easily get killed by staying in parks and sleeping in a car. Well here is how I feel, my family never really cared too much about me anyway. My parents didn't raise me right, I wasn't eating properly when I was a child. They didn't spend a whole lot of time with me. They didn't show me how to be a good person. They just didn't care. And yes, u heard right they are Christian( Although this shouldn't be surprising since a lot of Christians are evil )

And guess what, my dad is a millionaire. He just never cared about supporting me financially even when I was a child. I know that was messed up, but I'm a let God ( The real God ) deal with him with that situation. I hardly even go 2 my parents house. I honestly wouldn't care if he died.

Now pay attention to something. If u notice, I'm not complaining about how my dad doesn't help me out. I'm simply handling my situaution on my own even though it may be extreme. I'm aware that my dad could have just gave me some money to go to college or he could have just gave me a job at his business, but I'm not complaining because he didn't. I'm just trying 2 see why they are criticizing me for the way I live. I don't even talk about this situaution with my parents, I just know they don't like how I'm living because my Grandma told me. I don't even answer the phone if my Mom or dad calls me.

I only make about $1,200 a month, so I don't want a house or apartment because the bills will eat up my money. I wanna know how do u guys feel about me living like this. U got to think about it, giving all your money to landlords and utility companies is misery. Being able to spend your money how u want to is pure pleasure.

Although I'm not completely a member of Buddhism, my lifestyle and morality is very similar to Buddhists. I don't have any desire for a luxury house and I also don't have any desire for people accepting and respecting me. The reason I say this is because I know that some people will think that I'm foolish 4 this. But I don't care. What does another person's perspective of me have 2 do with my happiness. Also, God has blessed me with true friends who don't mind the way I live.

If Buddha could leave a royal castle and live a life of happiness and spiritual peace then surely I can live in the wilderness and do the same. Although I acknowledge that my lifestyle is somewhat different form Buddha's since I have electricity and I still deal with women(more on that later), the same principle remains, I am free from the desires of wanting 2 impress people.

Please tell me how u all feel about my lifestyle.

Guest PhucWadGawd

Whats up guys? OK check out my situation. I don't have a house or apartment 2 live in. I stay in city parks and sleep in my car. I use a car power inverter for electricity. I also use outlets in parks for electricity. I'm homeless but I'm happy. Hopefully I can inspire people who make low income.

Now some may say that this is insanity, but I say its pleasure. How? u may ask. Because I don't have any bills 2 pay. Its a headache having 2 give your hard earned cash to landlords and utility companies. I keep a fair amount of money plus I don't have to worry about having to wait too long to save up just in case of a car emergency. I get to have fun everyday because I can shop how I want to, eat what I want to, and go hang out like I want to at clubs, bars, and any other social events.

My family seem to have a problem with this. And yes, they are Christian. They say that this is foolish and dangerous. They feel that I can easily get killed by staying in parks and sleeping in a car. Well here is how I feel, my family never really cared too much about me anyway. My parents didn't raise me right, I wasn't eating properly when I was a child. They didn't spend a whole lot of time with me. They didn't show me how to be a good person. They just didn't care. And yes, u heard right they are Christian( Although this shouldn't be surprising since a lot of Christians are evil )

And guess what, my dad is a millionaire. He just never cared about supporting me financially even when I was a child. I know that was messed up, but I'm a let God ( The real God ) deal with him with that situation. I hardly even go 2 my parents house. I honestly wouldn't care if he died.

Now pay attention to something. If u notice, I'm not complaining about how my dad doesn't help me out. I'm simply handling my situaution on my own even though it may be extreme. I'm aware that my dad could have just gave me some money to go to college or he could have just gave me a job at his business, but I'm not complaining because he didn't. I'm just trying 2 see why they are criticizing me for the way I live. I don't even talk about this situaution with my parents, I just know they don't like how I'm living because my Grandma told me. I don't even answer the phone if my Mom or dad calls me.

I only make about $1,200 a month, so I don't want a house or apartment because the bills will eat up my money. I wanna know how do u guys feel about me living like this. U got to think about it, giving all your money to landlords and utility companies is misery. Being able to spend your money how u want to is pure pleasure.

Although I'm not completely a member of Buddhism, my lifestyle and morality is very similar to Buddhists. I don't have any desire for a luxury house and I also don't have any desire for people accepting and respecting me. The reason I say this is because I know that some people will think that I'm foolish 4 this. But I don't care. What does another person's perspective of me have 2 do with my happiness. Also, God has blessed me with true friends who don't mind the way I live.

If Buddha could leave a royal castle and live a life of happiness and spiritual peace then surely I can live in the wilderness and do the same. Although I acknowledge that my lifestyle is somewhat different form Buddha's since I have electricity and I still deal with women(more on that later), the same principle remains, I am free from the desires of wanting 2 impress people.

Please tell me how u all feel about my lifestyle.

Why do you care what anybody thinks? If you're happy and you're safe and stickin' it to The Man is your thing, I'm not going to argue with that. The system is messed up anyway. You've taken yourself out of the rat race. Most people need their creature comforts. You're not one of them. So?

• Super Moderator

It sounds like a liberating adventure!

Most people can't understand not having a lot of possessions, and most want families and security. Your way is hard to understand and embrace, even though it obviously works for you.

As long as you are able to look after your health and safety, why not? You enjoy a freedom that few will ever experience.

All the best to you!

Welcome to the forums, Urban Monk.

My husband does a lot of work on issues of homelessness and poverty, but mostly he deals with policies of a society which lead to putting people in untenable situations for them. Obviously, this is not the case with you, since you elect to lead an un-housed life. And why not?

If you're happy and unburdened, that's what counts. And the intrinsic worth of any person has nothing to do with whether or not they have a doorbell for people to push.

Good luck to you, and I'm glad you're with us.

I seriously considered being homeless one time when I lived in Houston about 13 years ago. I had this MASSIVE Buick that was comfortable enough to sleep in. Would've made the money situation so much easier, but in the end I decided against it. My concerns were these:

I'd have to avoid cops- and much of mainstream society, seeings how it's essentially illegal to be homeless.

Food would be expensive and/or a lot of trouble without a kitchen.

I HATE laundromats.

I really like to take a shower every day.

Air conditioning is awesome... and you can't just idle the car all day.

Females generally don't go for homeless guys.

It would complicate getting mail, job applications, etc.

No phone (this was in the days before cell-phones were common).

What if the car breaks down? Houston is 1000 miles from Tennessee where most of my friends & family are. I'd be FUCKED.

So I ended up renting a shitty apartment. I still think homelessness might have been worth a try- definitely would have been interesting, but the potential problems far outweighed the benefits as far as I could tell.

So I think I can understand some of where you're coming from. But if you were my own friend/family, I WOULD be concerned. I think the reasons are obvious. But I can see why you'd give it a try while you're young & poor.

Guest isaacg

We really don't need any of all this junk(cars, homes, electricity, etc.). All one needs is family/friends, food, water, air, sunlight, etc. The rest of Animalia Republic can get on well without these fancy-prancy toys, why can't we? I definetly think it would be a wonderful spiritual and moral experience. Its stuff like this that shapes character, values, etc. Not silly laws that date back to the age of Aries.

Anyways, G'luck

Call me a skeptic but I disbelieve your situation and your story. Your post reads like a post-Christian success story. Sorry but I don't buy the 'I'm homeless because I choose to be' theme of your post. You claim to come from a wealthy family but you chose to give it up to live on the street, I doubt that right off the bat. I've been hungry, I've been on the street and i never met anyone that was hungry and homeless cuz they choose to be. They were mentally off their nut, drug addicts or alcoholics. The fact you can change your condition makes me suspicious of your post. How do you leech electricity without paying utilities and how do you stay warm in the winter? How do you get your food and water, where does your clothing come from?

I don't buy the 'I wanna be like Buddha.' Buddha had folks giving to him cuz he chose to be homeless and a beggar. He gave up his wealthy lifestyle so that others could support him while he sat on his ass and meditated about spirituality. I think that having money, personal or from familly, and begging from others for support is fraud whether Buddha or the Dalai Lama, or Mother Teresa. It doesn't show spiritual enlightenment to me.

If you are legit, then congrats on staying alive on the street. Your story, in my opinion, does not sound correct.

If you can do without the comforts of home I suppose more power to you...but I don't think you can claim any spiritual advantage over anyone and be rational about it. If your making choices because you want to save money great, but if you're sacrificing comforts to make a moral point I'm sorry to say there's no real point there except that you don't mind using public showers.

Guest Davka

If you are legit, then congrats on staying alive on the street. Your story, in my opinion, does not sound correct.

I must admit, I had some similar misgivings. But then I read that he has a job and chooses to live in a car. That covers the hungry and filthy part, showers at the Y and laundromats . . . It's plausible, just barely. Stealing electricity can be done, but it's not easy. Anyways, I chose to believe that he's a nutjob rather than a blatant liar, because I'm just nice like that.

Or gullible.

Call me a skeptic but I disbelieve your situation and your story. Your post reads like a post-Christian success story. Sorry but I don't buy the 'I'm homeless because I choose to be' theme of your post. You claim to come from a wealthy family but you chose to give it up to live on the street, I doubt that right off the bat. I've been hungry, I've been on the street and i never met anyone that was hungry and homeless cuz they choose to be. They were mentally off their nut, drug addicts or alcoholics. The fact you can change your condition makes me suspicious of your post. How do you leech electricity without paying utilities and how do you stay warm in the winter? How do you get your food and water, where does your clothing come from?

I don't buy the 'I wanna be like Buddha.' Buddha had folks giving to him cuz he chose to be homeless and a beggar. He gave up his wealthy lifestyle so that others could support him while he sat on his ass and meditated about spirituality. I think that having money, personal or from familly, and begging from others for support is fraud whether Buddha or the Dalai Lama, or Mother Teresa. It doesn't show spiritual enlightenment to me.

A lot of Europeans do just what he is talking about. There are vast squatter communities full of poor rich kids over there. One of my friends did it for a while.

Also, one of my best friend's cousins was a punk rocker and those guys would hole up in all kinds of strange places and strange ways.

I don't know if the OP is true or not, but it doesn't sound too far out from what I've seen personally with others.

for Urban Monk-------

I don't know if your story is true or not. But it does raise some logistical questions like what is the source of your income? If you have a job what did you put on the application for an address? I don't think you'd get too far telling them you have none. How old are you? Since you live in a car you must have a driver's license---who's address on it? What address is on the registration for the plate? your auto insurance?

Where do you get mail? A Post Office box someplace? Because I don't think you can have one of those without providing an actual address. Are you capable of finding a better paying job? I suppose you're accessing the internet from the Public Library or something?

You mentioned that you don't answer the phone when your parents call-------what phone? A cell phone? What's the billing address? No bank account? Where do you stash your money?

The closest situation I've encountered IRL is an older couple I know who retired and sold their home, and bought a large motor home. They spent two years on the road going from one RV park to another, basically following the warm weather around the country. They loved it. They only came back because they decided to start a business with their daughter. I don't know what they did about getting mail though. And it's not the same as living rough either by choice or not.

Hey Urban Monk,

What kind of car do you have? Some vehicles are easier to live in than others, and I have met several people that chose to live in vans. There are actually quite a few people out there living in vehicles by choice, so you are certainly not alone. They call themselves "vandwellers", you should google it if you haven't already. There is a lot of info out there about stealth parking, jobs, money issues, health care, etc.

I hear box vans can actually be made quite nice to live in, plus they can be very stealthy (who looks twice at a box van parked over night in commercial district, or in front of a big box store?) Sometimes you can get them used for cheap from rental places like U-Haul or Ryder.

I have a Ford Mustang which is somewhat of a challenge. However, I only sleep in the car at night. If the temperature is too hot at night, I'll get my blanket out and fold it once and sleep on the ground. I'll only sleep on the ground in a church parking lot because I feel safe there ( Strange isn't it but hey, I gotta sleep somewhere safe and all Christians aren't bad ) I spend a lot of my time watching movies and playing video games in a park. I also spend a lot of time in a library or a coffee house so I can use there free Wi-Fi internet for my laptop. Gettin a caravan would be nice, but my plan is to save up enough money for the next 10 years and buy a house or a trailer, whichever one is cheaper so more than likely its gonna be a trailer. Buying a caravan would take away a good portion of my savings, but I'll just have to see whats necessary.

We really don't need any of all this junk(cars, homes, electricity, etc.). All one needs is family/friends, food, water, air, sunlight, etc. The rest of Animalia Republic can get on well without these fancy-prancy toys, why can't we? I definetly think it would be a wonderful spiritual and moral experience. Its stuff like this that shapes character, values, etc. Not silly laws that date back to the age of Aries.

Anyways, G'luck

We really don't need a lot of that stuff but I ain't go front like I don't enjoy electricity. I like playing video games, getting on a computer, and watching DVDs. A house is cool, I just won't enjoy paying for it. I feel like society should have gave us the education and skills 2 build our own homes, rather than us having to pay a ridiculous mortgage. The Native American societies didn't have 2 worry about a mortgage crisis when they lived in WigWams

And I agree that life could be more spiritual if people weren't confined to expensive homes. Some people are so wrapped up in their homes and they eventually become depressed and suicidal. If people were outside more, I feel that would brighten everyone's mood. I gotta say, I feel good being out in nature everyday. Especially in the parks because there are animals, trees, and lakes there

OK some of u may wonder, how can I get a girl with my lifestyle. Well, I don't want 2 just get off topic so I'll explain this more in another topic. But here is the information summarized. I get a prostitute or a stripper for my sexual pleasure. Please don't view me as evil, its just that the situation I'm in leaves me no choice but 2 get a prostitute or stripper. I know u guys don't want me 2 live a life without sexual pleasure

I feel like society should have gave us the education and skills 2 build our own homes, rather than us having to pay a ridiculous mortgage.

If you really wanted to, you could go off in the woods somewhere, hack out a patch of brush, turn the trees into a home and "live off the land." Problem is, that's a lot more fucking work than living in your car, stealing electricity and using public showers. But "Society's" not stopping you from doing it. You have the education and the skills to go to your local library, find and read "Into the Wild" (paid for on your behalf by Society) and learn how to be a self-sufficient woodsman (and what not to eat).

The Native American societies didn't have 2 worry about a mortgage crisis when they lived in WigWams

But they did have to worry about freezing to death, packing all that shit up every few weeks to follow the buffalo herd, losing all their teeth while chewing buffalo hide to make clothing, dying young, being sold into slavery, and in coastal regions where they were able to settle down and develop a more permanent civilization, having their villages burned and women abducted and children sold into slavery by warring tribes.

In conclusion, not all Christians would find you strange. Shane Claiborne would absolutely love you. In fact he'd probably wash your feet for you and cry.

Wow, I didn't know a lot of you guys had experiences with living in cars. I couldn't live in a Mustang, maybe a really big well equipped truck or van with decent amenities.

Urban Monk and others, how would you live in a car or car like dwelling?

Guest Davka

OK some of u may wonder, how can I get a girl with my lifestyle. Well, I don't want 2 just get off topic so I'll explain this more in another topic. But here is the information summarized. I get a prostitute or a stripper for my sexual pleasure. Please don't view me as evil, its just that the situation I'm in leaves me no choice but 2 get a prostitute or stripper. I know u guys don't want me 2 live a life without sexual pleasure

OK, I call bullshit.

What are you, 12? Do us a favor - take your mind games and go play on a Christian site. They're a lot more gullible.

The problems that the Native Americans faced back then, are still problems that the world faces now. Oh and obviously they knew how not 2 freeze 2 death in the winter because if thats the case, human life would not be around in the areas that go through cold winters. And that one guy said that I could just learn how 2 live in a forest by getting trees 2 build a home. Get real