Goodbye Jesus

Why Do Atheists Celebrate?

Chris630

Hi, I came across this on youtube. Its a response to a theist claiming that atheists have no reason to celebrate.(or live)

It's a really great compilation of popular atheists stating what life is to them.

That was a very nice video.

Why do Atheists celebrate? Because something fills us with enough joy to make us want to celebrate. What is that? It could be anything.

It's Friday! Let's celebrate! Free beer! Let's celebrate!

Certainly, we don't celebrate the christian holidays because we take the christian myths literally. But we can celebrate because we want to be with family and friends. Or, because we get the day off. Or maybe we want to think about "Peace on Earth," without embracing the religious notions behind the season.

Any reason is good enough to celebrate.

The atheist thinkers and scientists in the video bring out another truth that many theists don't want to face: we have profound insights that fill us with awe, wonder and joy at the mystery of existence, life and the universe. We don't need words from an ancient book of mythology to supplement our lives and provide us with "reasons" to celebrate.

• Super Moderator

It must really toast their testaments when we leave the faith and wind up happier and more fulfilled. But it's true.

Did someone say free beer??? :woohoo:

That was a cool vid though, I liked it.

I realized this topic is in the wrong forum. Moving it from "Science" to "Colosseum".

I celebrate freedom from mental oppression and the fear-mongering of religion.

I celebrate friends and good times.

Great video. I find atheism so much more inspiring than xtianity was. I never have to rationalize to maintain a viewpoint in atheism.

It's Sunday and I am celebrating that in less than 24 hours, The Mighty Boosh will be on.

Wonderful video. Just listening to people talking sense--just knowing there are such people and that I am lucky enough to get to hear them--is reason to celebrate. Listening to people ordering me not to do this or that because I'm an atheist fills me with indignant glee--the very thought that they are helpless to control me anymore is reason to celebrate. That they are desperate enough to go onto the internet and post such sombre sermons on what atheists can and cannot do (because of our imagined beliefs) when there's not a damn things they can do about it--what a hoot!

Life's a reason enough to be celebrating! What other reason do I need? :)

Cheer up, Mr. Preacher and let go a joyful fart!

I'm sitting in my favorite recliner at 11:10, listening to Top 40 from 1978 and writing a blog about objective truth and paradoxes.

Geeky, I know! But I'm celebrating feeling alive right now! Who needs those depressive houses of mass conformity?

Life. Life with all its complexities, with all its vast and marvelous changes.

We can celebrate the self without the guilt of not acknowledging some vast ego-centric being.

We celebrate the same things as all other animals celebrate: food, comfort, sex, companionship, the changes in the season, the changes in our positions in society, all these things and more without tragic dogma.

• 2 weeks later...
It's Sunday and I am celebrating that in less than 24 hours, The Mighty Boosh will be on.

I'm happy because I just bought seasons 1, 2 and 3 of The Mighty Boosh. Quite possibly the funniest thing on TV... ever.

Back to being serious: I can recall thinking I was happy when I was a christian. But I've noticed since deconverting that I actually feel MORE when my happiness isn't conditional on my being in any god's "good graces".

i take solace and celebration into the fact that i no longer live a lie, i am happier that without knowing the "universal guilt" on my shoulders, i can do whatever i want, say whatever i want. i celebrate the fact that i am not a member of the intolerant religious right. (i think if republicans could drop the act they would be better, but that what i think) i found that after i deconverted i feel better about myself and can finally think about myself and my well being.

I'm happy because I just bought seasons 1, 2 and 3 of The Mighty Boosh. Quite possibly the funniest thing on TV... ever.

Back to being serious: I can recall thinking I was happy when I was a christian. But I've noticed since deconverting that I actually feel MORE when my happiness isn't conditional on my being in any god's "good graces".

As did I! There is so much goodness that is missed on tv.

Well, we all had to say we were happy when we were Christians lest it is the devil screwing up our lives. It does feel good that I can have a "lustful mind" and not feel like I am going to go to hell for just looking at a guy and thinking he his "hot."

• 2 weeks later...

Halloween is coming up and I get opportunities to add more decor to my house.

I'm happy to live a no strings attached life. I'm also happy to be alive in a wonderful, amazing world. A world in which i can enjoy without pseudeoscientific BS attached to it. I can know the truth and be more than content with it. I can live my life free from delusion and insanity and not throw this only life i have down the shute by worrying about a magical afterlife. I can enjoy this one and only life.

I simply love Christmas. I love the dinners, the presents, giving presents, the music, the tv specials, the lights, the cold and snowy weather, and that nice and warm feeling you get from being around a slew of family on those wintery nights. Oh yes, and the time off from work to. Christmas is so secular now that it is even hard for the christians to celebrate it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mark Zedler

I like the fact that I can celebrate any and everything I want....or not want to. As I got older I began to dislike the repetition of meaningless religious holidays. When I de-converted, that opened up a whole new world of celebrations. For example, sleep in on Sunday morning never seems to get old. Seriously though, I am free to make my own yearly traditions and rituals if I like and still celebrate the holidays everyone else does if I so chose.

I like the fact that I can celebrate any and everything I want....or not want to. As I got older I began to dislike the repetition of meaningless religious holidays. When I de-converted, that opened up a whole new world of celebrations. For example, sleep in on Sunday morning never seems to get old. Seriously though, I am free to make my own yearly traditions and rituals if I like and still celebrate the holidays everyone else does if I so chose.

That's deep. I'll have to think about inventing traditions. I've got enough reasons to do that.

• 1 month later...

When you realize that this is all we have, our own and the birthdays of our friends take on special meaning.

• 2 weeks later...

Because it's fun.