Goodbye Jesus

Old Posters

Max

I was just remembering a poster that was popular with church youth groups back in the '70's (when I was of youth-group age). There were many variants of the picture, but the saying was "Bloom where you are planted."

I always hated that poster. You're not planted, and if where you are sucks, you should get up and leave. This has got to be some of the crappiest advice ever!

Does anyone else have similar memories of those posters?

I would consider being planted in a church to be like planted on a rock--not the parable rock. Isn't "blooming" in shit called laziness?

Hey! Watch it, kid! Some of us old posters might take offense at how we're replied to!

:Old::nono:

Being pummeled with a Depends is a long, slow, ugly way to go.

Hey! Watch it, kid! Some of us old posters might take offense at how we're replied to!

:Old::nono:

Being pummeled with a Depends is a long, slow, ugly way to go.

I wondered if I was the only one who was consfused by the opening on this thread. I am an "Old Poster" in both age and time here...

Hmmm... Perhaps I should have said, "Old casual artwork, typically unframed"....

Hmmm... Perhaps I should have said, "Old casual artwork, typically unframed"....

:HaHa:

I never saw the "Old casual artwork, typically unframed" that you wrote of, but it sure sounds like any other variation on the ancient and ubiquitous Christian teaching of "Sit down, shut up and obey."

They like it so much for the kids, that they carry it right through adulthood.

"Spare the rod and spoil the adult."

Not necessarily a poster but something I saw on a Dove chocolate wrapper, "Think with your heart, not your head." That has got to be the absolute worst advise I have seen.

I remember my dad getting angry when our preacher, when I was a kid, told everyone the opposite- "Never get stuck in a rut! Life is as simple as that!"

As we walked out to the car, my dad asked me: "Do you think Jesus was stuck in a rut helping people?" And my 8-year old self chewed on that for a bit, and agreed that the preacher was a little off.

Hence the danger of trite pronouncement.