Goodbye Jesus

Examples Of Evolution

Guest Davka

I heard this story and thought it would make for a good thread to post similar examples of adaptation.

Moths outwit bats by jamming sonar

Questions for creationists:

- If God created these animals with all their abilities, why did he only give the ability to escape being eaten by bats to a single species of moth? What is it that makes this species worthy of not being eaten by bats?

- Are there really no other insects that are similarly worthy of not being eaten by bats? Does God hate insects? Or does he just want to screw with bats in the Southwest?

LMAO!

Perhaps the moths were made in god's image and bats are possessed by the devil.

On a semi-related topic... Have you guys seen this amazing transparent fish? I ran across this video last night and thought it was wicked-cool.

" I never understood the need for ID. I mean, I suppose people can believe it if they want, but why the push to have it taught in schools? It doesn't add anything to science - if anything it seeks to undermine it."

midnight-mindwanderor

Undermining science is the whole point of the creationists. They want to maintain mind control over

as many Xtians as they can manage, Misinforming them on evolution is one of the most effective means of keeping Xtians in the dark.   bill

• Like 1

As mentioned, viruses are a wonderful example of evolution we can witness in our lifetime. Many viruses mutate (evolve) at such a rate, that the antibiotics that used to kill them no longer work.

The AIDS virus is a perfect example of this. It mutates, evolves, changes, whatever you want to call it, at such a rate that so far, no vaccine we can come up with has been able to have a beneficial effect at killing the virus.

Oh! Sorry, late to the thread, but some humans have evolved a resistance to AIDS: 

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2005/01/66198?currentPage=all

Cool, huh?

(If you don't feel like clicking on the link, the AIDS virus is similar to the bubonic plague, so the few naturally immune survivors of the plague passed on the genetic immunity to AIDS. Awesome, right?)

• Like 1

" I never understood the need for ID. I mean, I suppose people can believe it if they want, but why the push to have it taught in schools? It doesn't add anything to science - if anything it seeks to undermine it."

midnight-mindwanderor

Undermining science is the whole point of the creationists. They want to maintain mind control over

as many Xtians as they can manage, Misinforming them on evolution is one of the most effective means of keeping Xtians in the dark.   bill

Okay, but it's not that malicious / insidious. These people think that they're right. They think evolution is a hoax and that's what they were taught from their church and their schools. 

Of course it seems crazy to people outside of it. Of course it does. 

But I grew up in a Fundamentalist Christian home, went to a private Christian school, and when my parents went to school, there was no such thing as DNA testing. This is all kind of new and scary to people a generation ago. They were taught to fear it, to be skeptical, and they taught their children to be skeptical too. 

Here's the thing: I got out. I mean, that's amazing. I grew up thinking evolution was a hoax, taught that it was a conspiracy in my Christian school 1st grade through 12th, got sent (my first semester) to a Christian college (paid for by my parents, but so what, because it was an unaccredited Christian college so none of my credits transferred, so I just lost a semester of my life... well, except it was still a learning experience) and then I just stopped and said, "No more. I can't do it. I can't make my brain accept this stuff. It's ridiculous." And I dug my heels in and went to my local university. Because I saw through it. I had internet and science channel, and I wasn't having it anymore. 

But that generation, my parents', they didn't have the benefit of what we have now. I worked for a while for Answers in Genesis, and this organization is hugely responsible for pushing the ID stuff. I started seeing through it, because I'm smart enough to see through it. 

But what about people who aren't? What about people who are too busy working and raising kids and paying bills to give it much thought? Not everyone is obsessed with finding truth the way I am. I was super lucky to be born with a mind that needs to find the truth about... well, everything. But not everyone has an inquisitive mind like that. And they're the ones getting married young and having a bunch of kids. I didn't, and I don't have any kids. (Hence why I've had the luxury of time to learn and research and explore... and they don't.)

I don't think those people are stupid though; I think they're busy. I think they don't have time to educate themselves. This is why the crazy nuts trying to push ID in school are so dangerous. We have new information now that our parents didn't, and of course it should be in our science text books, but these well-funded nuts are trying to sound reasonable to our parents' generation and getting them to support and vote for "telling both sides of the controversy" like it's still up for debate in science when it isn't. There is no controversy. Evolution happened. Definitely. Indisputably with evidence and the entire fossil record. Except a bunch of creationists refuse to look at or acknowledge evidence because they don't want to. See, because they already think they know better. 

However, the people who are like, "Yes, we should teach ID alongside evolution. I agree. That seems totally reasonable." are not evil or stupid. They just aren't educated and up to date on scientific breakthroughs, and they're stuck in their own superstitions, so it's easy for them to be persuaded to vote for this dumb stuff that is being presented to them as reasonable by the Answers In Genesis people and other Creation Science and Intelligence Design folks. I don't know if those people pushing this stuff know better or if they are simply deluded too.  

I guess I just want to say: The majority of people who want ID taught in schools aren't trying to control minds or deliberately trying to delude people. They believe this stuff with every fiber of their being themselves, and they don't want their kids being taught some evolutionary conspiracy crap when they know the "truth." They are very easily manipulated by others who are telling them to get involved in their kids' science curriculum and make sure their kids aren't brainwashed with hoaxes and conspiracies invented by evolutionary scientists with an atheist agenda. (Because the ultimate goal is to make Christian kids into evolution believers and then atheists who hate their parents? I dunno. Something like that. Conspiracy theory.)

It isn't the Christian parents' fault. They aren't stupid. They came from a different era that didn't yet have all the information and evidence and knowledge we have, and didn't have time / energy / interest in changing or updating their knowledge of science since then, keep abreast of all the latest discoveries and updates, and so of course now they feel totally justified trying to make sure their own kids get the benefit of learning what they learned as truth, and they're genuinely trying to shield their kids against lies. (They are incorrect, accidentally pushing old lies and superstitions on their own kids, but they don't realize that.)

It's complicated. 

I just say all this so you have some sympathy for the people who are pushing this stuff. You should absolutely fight / vote against them politically and try to persuade them with evidence if you talk to them one on one, but understand they aren't evil or stupid. They are doing what they think is best for their kids. They're wrong, but nonetheless... they do mean well. 

That is all.

• Like 1