Goodbye Jesus

Why Do The Majority Of Teenagers Not Bother To Come To A Conclusion On Their Religious Beliefs?

Lucifereus

I was different from other teenagers because I immersed myself in bible theology. From sixteen to twenty (roughly), my life revolved around religion.

Same here. I started getting "into the word" at 15, and unfortunately continued immersing myself in the bs until I was 29.

Hello everyone, it seems to me that most teenagers to not care about religion, or their own personal beliefs. The majority just claim to be Christian and when asked they'll simply reply "I'm Christian", and not even bother to think about it or question it. For me, I questioned my family's beliefs early on in being a teenager and decided religion is just silly. So does anyone know why they don't care?

i can put this in the most subtle and lamest answer anywhere.

they're teenagers.

i live with 2 of them and they just don't care about anything at all unless it pertains to them. just to shut you up or get what they want, they'll agree with anything you say or tell them, then make a decision later and then come to you with it.

greenhunter...that was awesome. I had a good ol chuckle over that. I live with one teenager and its true. They are their own self-contained units only coming to you or wanting anything from you if it involves a good payoff for them!!! They are mini politicians in the making. :HaHa:

• 3 weeks later...

I think that those who just go along for the ride probably have a healthier experience with xianity than those of us who took it seriously. I'd rather they just didn't go along for the ride because they end up voting how their pastor tells them to, but psychologically it probably has a much lesser impact on them.

Growing up in L.A., most the kids I knew who called themselves "Christian" or "Catholic" never had a pastor. Hell, in my case I didn't find out that I had been baptized as Catholic until I was 25, when a family friend mentioned offhand that I had a "Godmother." And I was like "I have a Godmother!? Who!?!?!" I had thought that my parents hadn't bothered with any of that shit; well, they sure as shit hadn't bothered to tell me! Shows how much they cared about it.

For perhaps the majority of Americans, especially in the less churchy areas (California, New York, etc.), "Christian" or "Protestant" or "Catholic" is little more than the box they tick off when the Census taker comes calling. Well, not to mention lingering cultural baggage that we have the Puritans and other miscreants to thank for, which probably effects most Americans to some degree or another, even outright atheists! But that's beside the point.

1. They don't have to think about it. Most teens are intellectually lazy; it's nature's way of telling them to get laid.

2. They sense on some level that it is all bullshit anyway even if they know they can't say so w/o repercussions.

Hello everyone, it seems to me that most teenagers to not care about religion, or their own personal beliefs. The majority just claim to be Christian and when asked they'll simply reply "I'm Christian", and not even bother to think about it or question it. For me, I questioned my family's beliefs early on in being a teenager and decided religion is just silly. So does anyone know why they don't care?

The responses given by others are spot on. I would add that I share your concern because when they grow up and are faced with religious conflict,they will reflexively side with the Christians. They become the enablers that allow prayer in school, elimination of evolution from curricula, and the posting of the Ten Commandments in every public bathroom.

In a society that doesn't get beyond "Us vs Them" in debate, this complacency is why we get such breaches in the Wall of separation.