The Kensington Runestone & The Holy Grail

AmIReallyThatBad

Anyone know much about this? I was flipping through my channels tonight and again, came across the dreaded History Channel. After "The Nostradamus Effect" and "Secret Societies," they had a loooooooong special on about The Kensington Runestone, suggesting that it holds possible proof that the Holy Grail was brought to North America in the 14th century.

Kensington Runestone (wikipedia)

Holy Grial (wikipedia)

According to wikipedia, most modern Runologists consider the Runestone to be a hoax. However, when I look for further information regarding this, all the links I get are saying that it's recently been discovered to not be a hoax -

Link 1

Link 2

Now, where the Grail speculation comes in, I'm not sure. I don't know if the Runestone even mentions the Grail. Assuming the Runestone is not a hoax and that it does mention the Grail, could 14th century Christians have had some false artifact that the claimed was the grail? Assuming that it's not a hoax and that it doesn't mention the Grail, then where does the Grail speculation enter the equation? If a verified stone from the 14th century does mention the Grail, is this evidence for Christianity or just a story of a bunch of 14th century wingnuts?

Anyone done any concise research into this subject? One of the biggest detriments to Christianity has long been that historical evidence does not much support the notion that Jesus existed. But old artifacts suggesting the existence of the Grail would. Or, at the very least, it would suggest that 14th century Christians believed that they had historical evidence.

What do you all think? Dang, I wish I could just block the History Channel out of my channels. :P I can block myself from viewing it, but it still shows up in the channels with descriptions of what's on. All that psuedo-historical crap that channel pedals just bothers me.

I didn't really know where to put this topic. I know it may not be the most discussion provoking topic around, but I would appreciate if a few people gave me their thoughts. Take your time, of course.

I didn't really know where to put this topic. I know it may not be the most discussion provoking topic around, but I would appreciate if a few people gave me their thoughts. Take your time, of course.

Maybe Ex-Christian Theology? Or Off-topic?

Interesting stuff. I'm completely ignorant about it.

I see it as complete bunk.

From the Wiki runestone page:

Runologists and linguists consider the runestone to be a hoax.[2] The runestone has been analysed and dismissed repeatedly without local effect.[3][4][5][6][7] The community of Kensington is solidly behind the runestone, which has transcended its original cultural purposes and has "taken on a life of its own".[8][9]

Of course Kesington is going to support this story. It puts them on the map.

As far as the "Grail"... Read through a handful of tales about the Grail (all written hundreds of years after the fact) and you'll see future scripture unfolding before your very eyes.

Find me evidence of Joseph of Arimathea and then we'll talk.

Hell, find me Arimathea.

I caught a very small part of this show yesterday and it seemed like it took a big left turn into a bunch of nonsense.

I had just written something about all this but there's no real point. People love conspiracies. This is now yet another one. People will now dismiss it at such or buy in. But the odds of actually refuting it is now nearly impossible so there's no real point to trying.

mwc

The grail as we know it is purely an invention of Medieval story tellers to give a little romance to their stories of war and triumph, and to give a plot for the pursuit of a righteous life. The grail had existed in Gaelic mythologies prior to the first telling of Arthur, but it was more of a cauldron.