Goodbye Jesus

Hopelessness

Oddity

So, I have a lot of job-hunting related stress and am starting to feel quite desperate about it. I'm working on getting back into school, but that's also refusing to work out - it most likely won't happen until the next academic year, if I don't go completely insane by then. I won't lay the details on you, but it's making me feel like a loser. Had I still been a believer, I'd be praying uselessly right now - it wouldn't help the job hunt, but at least I'd feel significantly less depressed about it.

So, what's an atheist supposed to do, when it seems like everything's falling apart and the situation seems hopeless?

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

So, I have a lot of job-hunting related stress and am starting to feel quite desperate about it. I'm working on getting back into school, but that's also refusing to work out - it most likely won't happen until the next academic year, if I don't go completely insane by then. I won't lay the details on you, but it's making me feel like a loser. Had I still been a believer, I'd be praying uselessly right now - it wouldn't help the job hunt, but at least I'd feel significantly less depressed about it.

So, what's an atheist supposed to do, when it seems like everything's falling apart and the situation seems hopeless?

I don't think there's anything that anyone can tell you that's not going to sound any less phony than the whole "God will provide" bit. I have always tried to focus on the positives when my life hit the skids. Do you have your health? Do you have a roof over your head (for the moment)? Have you got sustenance? Do you have a friend that can relate and understand what you're going through?

I have always tried to concentrate on the immediate good things and try to look ahead long term to better aim my next step. Best of luck on your job hunt.

Luckly for you you know that these hard times are not an indictment of your soul. When stress gets to me I do what I can to relieve it, be it a long bath or a long jog or a bottle of wine.

Here's what I do then. Once you have a clear head, sit down and write a list of things you can do to help your situation, or people you can ask for assistance. Write everything that you would do if you could stop time and work indefinitely and had infinite energy. Then take a ten minute break and come back to the list and rank them in terms of most practical, and start with #1, without expectations of doing anything beyond that. If #1 goes well maybe you'll want to keep going.

And remember the only loser is the one who quit trying.

Oddity......Shallow is right. Don't quit. Set short term goals and go down the list.

Something will come up. Just don't quit. Come here to vent or just bounce things off of us.

We are here for ya!!

Centauro