Goodbye Jesus

Finding Local Support

dB-Paradox

Has anyone found a support group or organization that helps people who've left Christianity? I'd like to find something where I live, but don't really know where to even begin.

Some people have had luck with meetup.com - I found a local group, but it has nothing to do with this particular issue, but so far it's still been helpful since at least one member and I have had the opportunity to discuss it a bit. There weren't any other groups close, and since I'm also out to make some friends (seeing as though quitting christianity left me with only a couple people I talked with outside of church) it was the best pic for me.

Other than that, I really have no ideas since I seem to have an inability to meet other like minded people so far!

I have had a Kijiji ad posted for about 1.5 years now. I get little response, but do get some. Just some minor e-mail contact. Have not had anyone want to meet and discuss yet.

For a while I got a lot of negative response from Xians (I made one lady cry with my responses to her because I read her a little too well...oops), but it has become almost nil lately.

Thanks for the kijiji idea. Never thought of that.

Here's the ad I posted:

Leaving Religion Behind

Spent time in a religious group? Years or perhaps your entire life?

What happens when life changes and what you once believed holds no answers?

Leaving religion and changing beliefs can be difficult. It is hard. It hurts. You can be left with scars due to the emotional and mental abuse religion often dishes out. Perhaps you have been rejected by friends and/or family now.

Leaving religion will often cause you to enter a grieving stage not at all unlike the loss of a loved one. Anger, sadness, depression...you may experience them all.

Just know that there is hope and freedom outside of the fold. You are not alone. Please feel free to e-mail if you need a friend or simply need to vent.

* From an Ex-Christian in Red Deer

I'm lucky because with being a student still, there are different clubs and societies on campus, including an atheist society. Not all of the members are ex-Christians. Some have always been atheists/agnostics, and there's at least one ex-Muslim too. But amongst them, there are definitely a few people who understand what I've been going through over the past year.

We're actually doing some talks on the theme of leaving religion/losing faith, in about a month. Trying to work out exactly what I want to say!

Just try googling the name of your town, or other nearby towns, followed by atheists, or humanists, or secularists. You might find something. Obviously these won't be groups focusing specifically on supporting ex-Christians, but you might find some likeminded people to talk to.

(I just did a search for my town, to see if it worked, and found a group "Representing the god-free in [my county]"! That said, I am in godless Europe. :P )