And We're Not Supposed To Think Christians Are Stupid?

R. S. Martin

The following was sent to me--a Canadian--via email by my cousin who is also a Canadian. It is the kind of thing that proves yet again that it is not for nothing that we are tempted to call Christians stupid. The piece was so obviously written by an American for Americans. For example:

1. American spelling, e.g. check book vs cheque book
  2. American issues, e.g. overt reference to patriotism

Also, note that the author jumps all over the place. This "teacher" lumps together issues pertinent to primary school children such as checking for head lice, and to teenagers such as sexually transmitted diseases. The attached picture shows math equations that elude me so it must be at least high school level. The focal point of the piece is to say, "Look here, you irreligious dimwits, teaching is TOUGH--and you expect me to do it WITHOUT PRAYING!#?!!"

A third item that is just plain silly and outrageous is the complaint that the teacher is expected to communicate fluently via written and spoken language in several different languages. No school board that I have ever heard of expects that.

Also, Spanish is mentioned but not French. This is NOT a Canadian piece, but my Canadian cousin sends it to a group including me who am also Canadian. I suppose if confronted she would say I'm missing the point of the piece--it's not languages or nationality but the fact that teachers need to be allowed to PRAY!!!

As if the no-praying-in-school issue were a Canadian issue.:scratch:

It may be in some places but nowhere near to the level it is in the States. Furthermore, I have never heard of any place in the world where silent communication with one's god (i.e. silent prayer appropriate for an over-loaded teacher) is forbidden because how could such a law be enforced? So what's the fuss?

Here is the piece:

After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said:

'Let me see if I've got this right. You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-Shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.

'You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride.

'You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.

'You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams.

'You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language, by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.

'You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.

'You want me to do all this and then you tell me. . . I CAN'T PRAY?

The following was sent to me--a Canadian--via email by my cousin who is also a Canadian. It is the kind of thing that proves yet again that it is not for nothing that we are tempted to call Christians stupid. The piece was so obviously written by an American for Americans. For example:

1. American spelling, e.g. check book vs cheque book
  2. American issues, e.g. overt reference to patriotism

Also, note that the author jumps all over the place. This "teacher" lumps together issues pertinent to primary school children such as checking for head lice, and to teenagers such as sexually transmitted diseases. The attached picture shows math equations that elude me so it must be at least high school level. The focal point of the piece is to say, "Look here, you irreligious dimwits, teaching is TOUGH--and you expect me to do it WITHOUT PRAYING!#?!!"

A third item that is just plain silly and outrageous is the complaint that the teacher is expected to communicate fluently via written and spoken language in several different languages. No school board that I have ever heard of expects that.

Also, Spanish is mentioned but not French. This is NOT a Canadian piece, but my Canadian cousin sends it to a group including me who am also Canadian. I suppose if confronted she would say I'm missing the point of the piece--it's not languages or nationality but the fact that teachers need to be allowed to PRAY!!!

It may be in some places but nowhere near to the level it is in the States. Furthermore, I have never heard of any place in the world where silent communication with one's god (i.e. silent prayer appropriate for an over-loaded teacher) is forbidden because how could such a law be enforced? So what's the fuss?

Here is the piece:

After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said:

'Let me see if I've got this right. You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-Shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.

'You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride.

'You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.

'You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams.

'You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language, by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.

'You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.

'You want me to do all this and then you tell me. . . I CAN'T PRAY?

You lost me Ruby.....your berating this person for their lack of ability to meet an unreasonable challenge, but then you can't do the math?

I don't know, as a joke it is rather amusing.

If it is serious of course the teacher can pray. How would you stop a teacher from praying -- monitor the brain waves?

Hell even Janice Joplin prayed.

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,

So Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color TV ?

Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me.

I wait for delivery each day until three,

So oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color TV ?

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town ?

I’m counting on you, Lord, please don’t let me down.

Prove that you love me and buy the next round,

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town ?

Everybody!

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends,

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,

So oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Yeah, it's plain stupid to say you can't pray. All you have to do is pray in your mind to talk to your imaginary friend. The supposed all powerful god don't need you to speak out loud.

Actually at my gymnasium over here (best school you can attend here before you hopefully hop over to a university) at least for "living languages" this was pretty much expected of the teachers and (as soon as possible) of the students. It went as far as one day in English class a student from the next classroom coming over, asking to borrow our blackboard sponge for a moment, to which the teacher responded "In English please, we can't understand you!". Okay that was half-joking, but you get the message.

Maybe my school was an exception... but from what I heard, it was the same in Spanish and French class. Not sure about Russian.

At least for all I know this level of proficiency was not expected of our Latin teachers. Now that would have been wild... :)

Now after having read the rest of the stuff, yup, it's clearly a US-morontheist propaganda piece. Painfully obvious, and painfully stupid.

If it is serious of course the teacher can pray. How would you stop a teacher from praying -- monitor the brain waves?

:funny:

My point exactly.

yup, it's clearly a US-morontheist propaganda piece. Painfully obvious, and painfully stupid.

:goodjob:

Athird item that is just plain silly and outrageous is the complaintthat the teacher is expected to communicate fluently via written andspoken language in several different languages. No school board that Ihave ever heard of expects that.

Actually at mygymnasium over here (best school you can attend here before youhopefully hop over to a university) at least for "living languages"this was pretty much expected of the teachers and (as soon aspossible) of the students. It went as far as one day in English class astudent from the next classroom coming over, asking to borrow ourblackboard sponge for a moment, to which the teacher responded "InEnglish please, we can't understand you!". Okay that was half-joking,but you get the message.

Maybe my school was an exception... but from what I heard, it was the same in Spanish and French class. Not sure about Russian.

At least for all I know this level of proficiency was not expected of our Latin teachers. Now that would have been wild... :)

Thanks for sharing that. I have noticed that Europeans tend to know morelanguages than we do in North America. By "North America," we in Canadanormally mean Canada and the United States; we exclude Mexico, possiblybecause of the different language, culture, and economic situation. Inthe rest of the continent, except for Quebec, English is the officiallanguage so far as I know. People who are fluent in more than onelanguage, even in academia, are probably not the norm. I don't thinkit's expected of elementary or high school teachers to conduct spokenand written communication in several languages.

Youlost me Ruby.....your berating this person for their lack of ability tomeet an unreasonable challenge,

Yes, you do seem to be totally lost, end3. I am not berating a person for being unable to do the impossible. I am berating the author--and also the sender--of that piece for not thinking. Then I point out all the mistakes and inconsistencies of the piece.

but then you can't do the math?

Of course I can't do the math. I don't have more than Grade 8 education in math, and I say in the OP that the math is at least high school level. If the author of that piece had been thinking, he/she would not have included high school math in the same breath as issues pertaining to primary grade students such as head lice.

Yet the author did include all that in the same breath--or email--and for some reason we are not supposed to think Christians are stupid...

Actually at my gymnasium over here (best school you can attend here before you hopefully hop over to a university) at least for "living languages" this was pretty much expected of the teachers and (as soon as possible) of the students. It went as far as one day in English class a student from the next classroom coming over, asking to borrow our blackboard sponge for a moment, to which the teacher responded "In English please, we can't understand you!". Okay that was half-joking, but you get the message.

When do schools start teaching a 2nd or third language in Germany? Your written English is so good I forget you are German sometimes. In the states we don't usually offer a 2nd language until middle school, or even high school in some places. I think that is way too late to start a second language.

When I took English in Bible College, our top student in English classes was an exchange student from the Netherlands. That is her 2nd language skills were better than our first language skills.

When I took English in Bible College, our top student in English classes was an exchange student from the Netherlands. That is her 2nd language skills were better than our first language skills.

No kidding. I find this to be shameful. I had Spanish in 8th grade and just barely passed it. I find people apologize to me for their bad English all the time and I just tell them to forget about it...at least they can speak more than one language...I can't even speak their language poorly.

mwc

I Like to think of Christianity like I do a computer virus.

Doesn't matter how powerful a computer may be, a virus will always gimp it from being able to perform the task that the virus is designed to block out. A virus that causes IE to crash will cause IE to crash on either a high end or low end machine assuming same OS.

Christianity and superstitious beliefs in general are quite similar. A person can be a brilliant mathematician and a professor teaching quantum physics...but when that person steps up to the voting booth for things like Prop 8 the Christmindvirus takes over and causes a normally intelligent person to make an incredibly stupid choice. Doesn't matter how smart or dumb the person is, the Christmindvirus will make them think God is watching them in that voting booth and they will obey the borg. I think Madame M explained most of the problems in a thread a long time ago talking about the alternative reality that the christian mind views. A superstitious person may be quite capable, but once anything pertaining to that superstition comes up the virus within blocks them from normal reaction.

I Like to think of Christianity like I do a computer virus.

Have you ever read the book The God Virus?

Personally, I think the OP is a bit of a reach.

When do schools start teaching a 2nd or third language in Germany? Your written English is so good I forget you are German sometimes. In the states we don't usually offer a 2nd language until middle school, or even high school in some places. I think that is way too late to start a second language.

Dunno whether that changed since my days as a student, but back then we started to learn English in 5th grade (average age of 10) and either French or Latin in 7th grade - we could choose which one. Spanish or Russian became available as optional classes at grade 11 or 12, can't remember when.

Me, I was content with 2 foreign languages, and foolishly chose Latin. It was kind of fun, but obviously French would have been of more use :)

And note that this is about our gymnasium-type schools. The "lower quality" schools will surely be different.

It may be in some places but nowhere near to the level it is in the States.

It shouldn't be in the states either. There is no American law prohibiting teachers from praying privately in public schools, so even we in the states wonder what the fuss is all about. The complaint only makes sense if the Christians in question consider religious "freedom" to include the right to impose their religion on others.

Furthermore, I have never heard of any place in the world where silent communication with one's god (i.e. silent prayer appropriate for an over-loaded teacher) is forbidden because how could such a law be enforced? So what's the fuss?

Silent prayer is the only prayer that can help in this situation anyway! Silent prayer, being a form of meditation, can help the teacher focus on the tasks at hand. I don't see how doing what is illegal (leading the class in prayer) can help. The fuss is probably just from a small, but prodigiously loud minority, ignorant not only of their country's law, but of their own religion. WWJD?

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

--Matthew 6:5-6, NIV

As an American, I also ask, "What's the fuss?"

No kidding. I find this to be shameful.

I don't know if I'll actually have the courage to mail the note. Today I got election propaganda from my MP (Member of Parliament) who touts himself as "Your Voice in Ottawa." There were grammar errors in it. The package included an invitation and form for citizens to send comments. I checked "other" and said "illiteracy among MPs" and listed the errors. I said "MPs MUST be able to write."

I'm thinking this is outrageous! If illiteracy is this bad in our country--if the national lawmakers in Ottawa can't write perfect English grammar, one's gotta start at the top.

Elitist? Not on your life. Just simple good old practicality. If the meaning is not clear--which it isn't when improper grammar is used, confusion reigns. The wording of the propaganda might not be critical but the wording of laws is critical beyond measure--these details make and break human lives.

Not that a politician will listen to me--he probably won't even see the note, but it will be out there for whoever does see it...oon the off chance that I'm not the only "voice in the wilderness" complaining about the matter.

As an American, I also ask, "What's the fuss?"

You've got some really good points and I especially like this one. Good to know that the "fuss" is just that--fuss.

I checked "other" and said "illiteracy among MPs" and listed the errors. I said "MPs MUST be able to write."

Damn I fell off my chair laughing, again! :lmao:

Okay, basically that shouldn't be a funny thing... but still... imagining the face of whoever gets to read that note... :crazy:

I don't know if I'll actually have the courage to mail the note. Today I got election propaganda from my MP (Member of Parliament) who touts himself as "Your Voice in Ottawa." There were grammar errors in it. The package included an invitation and form for citizens to send comments. I checked "other" and said "illiteracy among MPs" and listed the errors. I said "MPs MUST be able to write."

:lmao:

Nice one! I think I got that mailout too.

We live in strange times. More people than ever can read, but grammar and spelling and communication skills are going into the toilet. If I see another misplaced apostrophe in a business sign or advertisement I may just have to shoot myself.

I blame Internet forums.