Athiest/free Thinking/non-Theist Church

Guest TheAmberShow

Guest TheAmberShow

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm new, so bear with me? Thanks. I miss church. I'm a logical, science-minded person who doesn't believe in supernatural things (angles, gods, unicorns, karma, etc.), but I would like to build a community around myself and my eventual children.

Any idea who I should turn to? Alternatively, is there anyone in New York City who wants to form such a "church"?

Have you looked for a Unitarian Universalist church? I've never been to one but from what I've heard it sounds a lot like what you're looking for. They're supposed to be really open and accepting of all kinds of different faiths and lack of faith.

• Super Moderator

The idea of non-believers meeting together to have a non-service at a non-church always seemed strange to me.

You'll get over the church habit. Trying to replace church with another instant, like-minded community is a bit too much to hope for.

Join a bowling league if you're anxious to meet people as quickly as possible. If you hate bowling, try golf, dance classes, community theater, well - you get the idea.

Since you mentioned eventual children, you have time to build friendships with normal people in the normal way. There really is life without church!

Guest ephymeris

There are humanist "churches" in some areas. The town I live in has several including the Ethical Society. I had never even looked before but one google search and I found them!

The idea of non-believers meeting together to have a non-service at a non-church always seemed strange to me.

Not even this atheist church?

Guest TheAmberShow

You'll get over the church habit....There really is life without church!

I know. But I don't want life without a church. I thought about it. It's weird, but so are SO many other things we do as human beings.

I know. But I don't want life without a church. I thought about it. It's weird, but so are SO many other things we do as human beings.

Churches and the people inside them are evil or biggots, or hypocrites. Why does it have to be a church to find what you looking for?

I miss having an instant community, too, but then I remember how judgmental and controlling my "friends" from church were. I've considered finding a Universalist Unitarian one, though. I've found the website for the nearest one and may actually wake up at a reasonable-ish hour some Sunday and go.

Guest TheAmberShow

Churches and the people inside them are evil or biggots, or hypocrites. Why does it have to be a church to find what you looking for?

1. I disagree with you. 2. Because I like the idea of having that specific kind of community to be a part of.

I can join a bowling team, but I don't want bowling buddies, or dance partners, or fellow art students to form a community with. Coming together with people my age that I have a shared morality and life perspective is what I want. Yes, I can be friends with someone bowl with, but they might also be a right-wing Christian, or a Wiccan, or a Muslim. Those people are fine, and I have friends that fit all those descriptions, but I want a community where everyone believes it's important to be open-minded, skeptic, non-theist, loving, good, kind, and communal. It wouldn't be fair for me to expect that out of a bowling team.

• Super Moderator

Yes, you're not likely to find an all atheist bowling team!

I understand what you're looking for. Most groups, even (or maybe especially) Unitarians, don't have a homogenous mindset. Hell, Christians can't even agree with each other, hence the thousands of sects and denominations.

I don't know that anyone has found the solution. A belief can bind people together, but non-belief is not a defining characteristic. It might be too narrow a focus to find an organized group that meets regularly and shares your values. If you can pull it off, I'm sure a lot of people fresh out of their old congregations would like to know how you did it. Good luck.

Personally, I'm glad to be away from a community where everyone basically thinks the same. Diversity in the real world is a great way to learn and empathize with people you'd never meet at a weekly gathering of like-minded friends. I know a few people who think a lot like I do, but it's the others who keep me honest!

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm new, so bear with me? Thanks. I miss church. I'm a logical, science-minded person who doesn't believe in supernatural things (angles, gods, unicorns, karma, etc.), but I would like to build a community around myself and my eventual children.

Any idea who I should turn to? Alternatively, is there anyone in New York City who wants to form such a "church"?

You sound like you want some kind of community with a regular meeting and people that you have something in common with and meet with regularly. I'm sure they're atheist groups, humanist groups (as mentioned). Perhaps you could try some kind of local community like dance, music, sports, etc?