Reasons Vs Reasoning

JPA

I am having a hard time explaining to my wife the difference between Having a reason for something and using reason to come to a conclusion. I ask her why Xians cant give a well reasoned response for their beliefs and she says because the reason you believe is not the same as the reason they believe what they do. Please help me explain to her that there is a difference in those two statements.

JPA, first off welcome to ex-C. I confess that I am a bit confused by your question. This may imply that I have something to learn here.

the difference between Having a reason for something and using reason to come to a conclusion.

Could you give me specific examples of both?

Dictionary is your friend:

Reason (noun)

1 a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event : the minister resigned for personal reasons | it is hard to know for the simple reason that few records survive.

• good or obvious cause to do something : we have reason to celebrate.

• Logic a premise of an argument in support of a belief, esp. a minor premise when given after the conclusion.

2 the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic : there is a close connection between reason and emotion.

• what is right, practical, or possible; common sense : people are willing, within reason, to pay for schooling.

It shows two different usages of the word. One is when someone has a reason, an excuse or explanation for their actions. The other is the logical reasoning to why one might come to a certain conclusion of what to believe or not. The mighty word of the dictionary can't be denied.

Oh sure Hans, break out the dictionary and kill the conversation. :HaHa:

Damn! Did I kill the spirit again? :twitch:

I am having a hard time explaining to my wife the difference between Having a reason for something and using reason to come to a conclusion. I ask her why Xians cant give a well reasoned response for their beliefs and she says because the reason you believe is not the same as the reason they believe what they do. Please help me explain to her that there is a difference in those two statements.

It's always difficult getting people to see our point of view if they don't agree with it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want your wife to understand that reason (logical thought) is not the same as reason (cause). Example...The reason (cause) Christians believe the bible is true is because it's God's infallible word. But reason (logical thought) says this is not so, because infallible man wrote and compiled the bible.

The problem comes when trying to convince someone what reason (logical thought) is. To a Christian, it is reasonable to believe God's word is infallible. To an Atheist, it is not reasonable to believe. So, how do you propose to change the Christian's mindset? Or the Atheist's? For Christians, it is logical that God handed down the words of the bible to man. Their whole world is based on a different reasoning (logical thought) than someone who does not believe the same as them. So, you may be able to explain to your wife that reason (cause) is different than reason (logic), but I doubt we can ever define what logic is, since it seems to be subjective.

Reason and critical thinking are about looking at the facts. It's about explaining why Jesus is right and Mohammad is not, and not just believing it because you want to, or the bible says so and you want to believe the bible. Good logic is about using unbiased facts instead of biased assumptions. We assume that the Bible is inerrent, but a closer look shows that it has many contradictions. We assume God is good, but he orders the Isrealites to commit genocide. A logical person must either conclude that God is not good, or the the Israelites were not following God even though they said they were, or I suppose, that genocide can be a good thing.