Goodbye Jesus

Why So Many Anti Atheist Websites...

ContraBardus

I put up a post on Atheism is dead, and decided it was worth putting up here [with a little editing] as a question posed to Christians.

Islam is growing much faster than Atheism.

If there's something the Christians should be threatened by, it's Islam, not Atheism.

I do wonder why there's so many Christian sites about working against such a small minority when they have a much bigger, and very serious, threat to the existence of their faith with it's nose up their rear.

Seems like a waste of time to bother with such a small percentage of the population given there's a much bigger group that's a lot more aggressive looming just over their shoulders.

Atheists don't cause atrocities and slaughter nonbelievers. Islamic religions have as much history of doing that as Christianity does, they just haven't had time to build up the impressive numbers Christianity has for it yet, but they're catching up fast.

It makes me think that Christians that devote so much time to making anti-Atheist websites don't have their priorities straight.

Beating up on such a small group that's never caused problems is just being a bully. Beating up on someone who's telling you they want your head, is a direct threat, and really is out to get you is self defense.

Sure, there are anti-Islam websites. Sure, there's a bunch of them. However, there's a lot more anti-Atheist sites out there. It doesn't make much sense to me at all that this is the case. Islam is clearly the larger threat and a much bigger problem for Christians.

It would seem to me that would be a better way to spend time considering the reality of the situation.

Atheism is just a tiny portion of Nonreligious groups. Most are Agnostic in nature. Nonreligious counts for 16% of the world's beliefs. Atheism itself would be about one half of one percent of the world. While it does have a larger percentage in several countries, such as the US with 13% and Australia with 15%. So why bother when there's much bigger and far more important fish to clone and hand out to the masses?

Compared to Islam, and it's 21% and growing to Christianity's 31% and dwindling, it's not even a minor annoyance to Christians, much less a threat.

Instead, there are far more sites against Atheism. Putting attention in the wrong place for no good reason aside from Atheist being a much smaller and less threatening group. Guess that makes them easier to pick on.

Why spend so much time defending your faith against a minority from near the bottom of the tier when #2 isn't shy about telling you to your face it's out to get you?

Doesn't make sense to me.

So, why so much clout and bother? What's the deal? Why bother us, when you've got a much more capable and dangerous rival hanging over your heads?

Not to say there shouldn't be any argument or discussion about Atheism, but it seems sort of boneheaded to spend quite so much time and effort and a vast majority of arguments against Atheism with Islam in the position it's in.

Why? Did you not notice? Are you ignoring it? Is it just 'easier' somehow?

How do you consider less than 1% so much of a threat and worth so much time and discussion when 21% and growing is beating you over the head?

I seriously think most Christians have a problem setting their priorities.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mriana

• Alice

• ContraBardus

• NonXNonExX

Muslims are part of the club I suppose is why. Muslims believe in the one god and many of the same biblical characters. It's probably easier for a moronthiests to understand that than someone that rejects all faith.

I also think it is difficult to see something as a threat if you don't see hardly any Muslims either. Think Atheist.com has a map (scroll down, left side, blog subject list) Seattle WA is 25% non-religious and Buddhists show at a 1%. Muslims didn't even register. In MO, Muslims not only didn't register, but non-religious came into third place after Catholic and Baptist. Baptist? I was shocked by that one. N.Y. has a Muslim population that registers on the map.

Sometimes it is the threat you don't see that is the most dangerous and people manage to forget that. Here is the thing though, as much as I cannot stand my mother and aunt's Fundamngelical beliefs, I would sooner have my head cut off defending their right to be Xians, while also fighting for my right to be a humanist. So, the Xians are fighting a potential ally when they are fighting and arguing with non-theists. I would be ticked if someone even threatened to chop off any one of my relatives' heads just because they refused to become Muslim, as I'm sure many of us here would be.

I also think many buy into the idea that Islam is a peaceful religion, forgetting it is peaceful (if you are the right sect) only if you're Muslim. They have no clue and take the words of a person who has been con, some may know they have been conned, but to deny Islam is a death sentence. Ex-Muslims here in the States have asked for protection to keep from being killed. If you want to know the truth about Islam, go talk to an Ex-Muslim, not someone who is deluded and blinded by Islam. Islam means "to submit", like a slave, like Ishmael and his mother are in the story. You have that in Xianity too, but not to the extent Islam has it. Xains don't seem to realize all of this though and the take the words of a hardcore Muslim as truth, not realizing they are taught to lie about it.

Atheists are an important target for Xtians because, intellectually, atheism poses the greatest threat to Xtianity. At least Islam is one of the trio based on the OT. There is so much evidence against and so little of substance for the biblical Jesus (historical Jesus may be on slightly more solid ground) that Xtians cannot allow a rational approach to debunking Xtianity to stand unanswered. Islam, on the other hand, at least acknowledges the existence of JC.

On the other hand, Islam and Xtianity, in spite of the animosity between the two groups, have a lot in common ideologically. Both are based on primitive bronze-age ethics and mores. If the various factions of Islam and Xtianity were ever to agree to their common ground and work together on a common program, it would present a grave threat to the progress of human civilization. IMHO, this makes it important for atheists and even agnostics ("atheists without balls," if you will) to continue to educate people whenever possible and prevent the spread of this "pernicious superstition."

Yes, but if Christians systematically targeted Muslims then I think we would rightly accuse them of going on crusades.

Atheists are an important target for Xtians because, intellectually, atheism poses the greatest threat to Xtianity. At least Islam is one of the trio based on the OT. There is so much evidence against and so little of substance for the biblical Jesus (historical Jesus may be on slightly more solid ground) that Xtians cannot allow a rational approach to debunking Xtianity to stand unanswered. Islam, on the other hand, at least acknowledges the existence of JC.

On the other hand, Islam and Xtianity, in spite of the animosity between the two groups, have a lot in common ideologically. Both are based on primitive bronze-age ethics and mores. If the various factions of Islam and Xtianity were ever to agree to their common ground and work together on a common program, it would present a grave threat to the progress of human civilization. IMHO, this makes it important for atheists and even agnostics ("atheists without balls," if you will) to continue to educate people whenever possible and prevent the spread of this "pernicious superstition."

I would agree with you. It's the knowledge that is scary because they know that a lot of people can be reasoned with. That's probably not all it is, but that's the first thing that came to my mind.

There are a good handful of reasons there aren't as many anti-Islam websites as anti-Atheism ones - the ones that come to mind first for me are, nobody wants to get bombed just for stating an opinion, and most moderate Muslims on the Western hemisphere aren't as vocal as Atheists when it comes to being anti-Christian.

Atheists are an important target for Xtians because, intellectually, atheism poses the greatest threat to Xtianity.

IMHO, this makes it important for atheists and even agnostics ("atheists without balls," if you will) to continue to educate people whenever possible and prevent the spread of this "pernicious superstition."

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Only atheism has real-world rational arguments against faith in sky daddy. It is a worldview based on logic. Islam (or Mormonism or Scientology or FSM-ism) cannot pose a real threat to Christian beliefs because all it has to offer is a competing mythology. It's easy to refute one nonsensical fairy-tale with another nonsensical fairy-tale. It's like Rapunzel v. Sleeping Beauty - neither is a real threat to the other, because both are pure fiction.

It's only the people who start saying "now wait a minute, the historical and archaological records say you're full of crap" who seriously annoy the Deists, because somewhere deep inside they're afraid we're right.

• Super Moderator
. . . somewhere deep inside they're afraid we're right.

Absolutely. People who at least believe in some sort of supernatural nonsense have the potential to be swayed over to their side. Rational minds never will, and that's why they fear and hate rationality. They just might catch it if they ever take their fingers out of their ears.

Only atheism has real-world rational arguments against faith in sky daddy. It is a worldview based on logic. Islam (or Mormonism or Scientology or FSM-ism) cannot pose a real threat to Christian beliefs because all it has to offer is a competing mythology.

But I know the FSM is real! I know he's real because I feel his pasta goodness inside my heartburn!

Only atheism has real-world rational arguments against faith in sky daddy. It is a worldview based on logic. Islam (or Mormonism or Scientology or FSM-ism) cannot pose a real threat to Christian beliefs because all it has to offer is a competing mythology.

But I know the FSM is real! I know he's real because I feel his pasta goodness inside my heartburn!

Well, my late uncle, and godfather, who was very much Italian, right down to his surname and made great pasta, was the God of Italian food. He overrules the FSM. OK so maybe not the heartburn. He recommended a dose of Pepto Bismo if that happened. :lol: Of course, even though I don't have a drop of Italian in me that I know of, he made me goddess of Italian food- vegetarian style of course. My friends and family say I make a mean Spinach lasagna. They are begging me to make more soon- very soon. sigh... I need at least 4 hours to make it. :(

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but as a vegetarian i would like to know how you make lasagna without cheese, or can you buy rennet-free cheese where you live? Or are you like me, not such a strict vegetarian? (I eat cheese and other milk products, fish and seafood, and duck and quail eggs, though i concentrate on fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts and tofu.)

Since i've already gone off topic, does anyone know why some people associate vegetarianism with lesbianism? Does that have anything to do with religious belief?

Because Atheism is EEEEEEEVIL LINKALN PARK GOTH NO MORALITY ATHEISTS WANT TO MAKE BLOOD AND SIN THE NEW LAWS OF THE LAND AND HARDCORE GOTH METAL THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLL

e͕̹͖̊̔̏ͫ̍ͬͥ̚͠z̸̖̦̯̮̠̑p͎̭͂ͦ̇ͬͦ͌͞ḙ͆̆̉̽̉͗r̢̬͔̬͓̺͇͎̬̘̆ ͤ́

̆̋̕͝dͥͫ̊̾͋ͪͩ̒̐҉̙͇̩͉i͍̙̬̦͙͉͍ͮ͡ͅǎ̸̡̘̩̟̮̫̋̿̇̈́̀n̸̶̜̻̲ ̝

̰̗͙̍̌̓͐̾ͯ̀ ̩̣̻͍͔̩̥̱̈̊̆̎̔̔͑̕h̵̸̝̳̮̫̙̮͖̬̔̂͗̂͞i̴̪͎̖̠͐́̋͌͜͞v̺́̔ͬͨ ̉ͅ

ë̬̙̪̞́̈́͐͋̃̒ͩ-̶̳̮̖̳͎̻͓̯̪ͬ̋̄ṃ̡̗̩̩̦ͨͧ͑̽̄͠i͈̭͖̞̫͔͋͑̆̆

ͣ͜n͙̠̙̦̫̺̩̐͊̓̐̍̚d̷͓̜͖̪̼͉̟̤͛͑͗̋ ͉ͤͧͦ̄̓̔ͧ̍͑̕͘o̗̦̹̫̹ͭͤf̶̛̖̣̦̯͚̪̞̞ͨ̂̌̃̇̎̐ ̈̐̄̔̾͑͏̵͇̤̰c̠̘̗̹̰̬̱̝̖ͦ̒ͧ̿̌̿͘ḧ̫̙̬͇̳͍͔́̊͒ͮ́͂͡a̫̪͙͎͉̲ ͎

̹͋͆ͮͪ̿ͪ͋o͇͉̒̊ͧ̃̋̈́̈́̀̕s̷͉̘̹̟̺̦̅͌.̵̮̝̠̎̈́̕͞ ̬̹̠͈̫͔͕̓ͭͮ̀̆ͪͅZ̩̻͎͓̯̲̓ͥͫͪ̎ą̹͔̖̖̱͍̥̞́̂̀̈ͭ͂̈̂͛l̨̮ͪ̒͌ ͦ

̊ͧ̊͛͘͜g̪͔̩̑͆̆̏͛͌ͩ̋ớ̢̳̮̫̬̣͈͔ͨ̽ͧ̔̋.͍̦͇͔̲͓͔̜ͯ͂̆̋́ ̕ ̡̯͈̺̣̮̙̒͒̀̆ ̴̫̎̂ͪ͛͑̌̉ͯ͢Ḧ̫̤́ͨ̄͜͢͠e̲̯͍͇̫̋ ̮̱̗͍̤͚̬̞̟̾͘͢ẅ̢͙̭̥̜̿̍̀̏͌h̸̦̰ͥͧ̾̃͘o̊̅ͩ̔̾̅͛҉̯̳͢ ͣ̉͋̐͆̈ͪ҉̧̦͎̹͓͚͉̻͘W

o̓̔̄ͦ͐̆͋ͣͨͨ́͏̶̨̫̲̗̦͉̥͖̯̩̖̟͎̤̤̮͎͘P͑̄ͦͪ̾ͧ̄̒ͪ̋͌ͭͧ̈͊̔̚ ̀

̛҉̝̜̩̫͕͇̟̲͙̦̮̲̪̜ͅe̜̗͎̣̙̻̰̦̬̱͖͂͑̀̿̉͆̋͊̍͛̀ͨ͡͞n͐ͩͮ͆̈̄ ̡͇̤͈̥̱͔͈̭̫̲̾ͭ̾ͬ̏͗̑͐͟ ̗̠̬̹̜̭͎̥̘̖̮͎̯͎͈̮̄͆̉̉ͪ̀ͤ͆̈ͫ̀̀̀̀̀f̸̷̫̳̀͗͑̌̽̇ͪ̅́̆̅ͥ̌͢ ̺ͣ͜n͙̠̙̦̫̺̩̐͊̓̐̍̚d̷͓̜͖̪̼͉̟̤͛͑͗̋ ͉ͤͧͦ̄̓̔ͧ̍͑̕͘o̗̦̹̫̹ͭͤf̶̛̖̣̦̯͚̪̞̞ͨ̂̌̃̇̎̐ ̈̐̄̔̾͑͏̵͇̤̰c̠̘̗̹̰̬̱̝̖ͦ̒ͧ̿̌̿͘ḧ̫̙̬͇̳͍͔́̊͒ͮ́͂͡a̫̪͙͎͉̲ ͎

̹͋͆ͮͪ̿ͪ͋o͇͉̒̊ͧ̃̋̈́̈́̀̕s̷͉̘̹̟̺̦̅͌.̵̮̝̠̎̈́̕͞ ̬̹̠͈̫͔͕̓ͭͮ̀̆ͪͅZ̩̻͎͓̯̲̓ͥͫͪ̎ą̹͔̖̖̱͍̥̞́̂̀̈ͭ͂̈̂͛l̨̮ͪ̒͌ ͦ

̊ͧ̊͛͘͜g̪͔̩̑͆̆̏͛͌ͩ̋ớ̢̳̮̫̬̣͈͔ͨ̽ͧ̔̋.͍̦͇͔̲͓͔̜ͯ͂̆̋́ ̕ ̡̯͈̺̣̮̙̒͒̀̆ ̴̫̎̂ͪ͛͑̌̉ͯ͢Ḧ̫̤́ͨ̄͜͢͠e̲̯͍͇̫̋ ̮̱̗͍̤͚̬̞̟̾͘͢ẅ̢͙̭̥̜̿̍̀̏͌h̸̦̰ͥͧ̾̃͘o̊̅ͩ̔̾̅͛҉̯̳͢ ͣ̉͋̐͆̈ͪ҉̧̦͎̹͓͚͉̻͘Wͣ͜n͙̠̙̦̫̺̩̐͊̓̐̍̚d̷͓̜͖̪̼͉̟̤͛͑ ͗̋ ͉ͤͧͦ̄̓̔ͧ̍͑̕͘o̗̦̹̫̹ͭͤf̶̛̖̣̦̯͚̪̞̞ͨ̂̌̃̇̎̐ ̈̐̄̔̾͑͏̵͇̤̰c̠̘̗̹̰̬̱̝̖ͦ̒ͧ̿̌̿͘ḧ̫̙̬͇̳͍͔́̊͒ͮ́͂͡a̫̪͙͎͉̲ ͎ͣ͜n͙̠̙̦̫̺̩̐͊̓̐̍̚d̷͓̜͖̪̼͉̟̤͛͑͗̋ ͉ͤͧͦ̄̓̔ͧ̍͑̕͘o̗̦̹̫̹ͭͤf̶̛̖̣̦̯͚̪̞̞ͨ̂̌̃̇̎̐ ̈̐̄̔̾͑͏̵͇̤̰c̠̘̗̹̰̬̱̝̖ͦ̒ͧ̿̌̿͘ḧ̫̙̬͇̳͍͔́̊͒ͮ́͂͡a̫̪͙͎͉̲ ͎

̊ͧ̊͛͘͜g̪͔̩̑͆̆̏͛͌ͩ̋ớ̢̳̮̫̬̣͈͔ͨ̽ͧ̔̋.͍̦͇͔̲͓͔̜ͯ͂̆̋́ ̕ ̡̯͈̺̣̮̙̒͒̀̆ ̴̫̎̂ͪ͛͑̌̉ͯ͢Ḧ̫̤́ͨ̄͜͢͠e̲̯͍͇̫̋ ̮̱̗͍̤͚̬̞̟̾͘͢ẅ̢͙̭̥̜̿̍̀̏͌h̸̦̰ͥͧ̾̃͘o̊̅ͩ̔̾̅͛҉̯̳͢ ͣ̉͋̐͆̈ͪ҉̧̦͎̹͓͚͉̻͘W

̣͙̥̤͓͈̞i̾̐ͬ̾̀̓ͭͣ̅͌ͤ̈́͋̋̈̅ͭ̉̕҉͏҉̘̼̰̱̝̭ͅn̡͚̭̤̍̑́̔̐͂ͬ͟ ̖

̵͘͜҉̫̮̠̹̬̠̞͖̜̩͖͖̱̥ͅr̴̢͇̺̮͙͚̫̥̫̲͔͈̟̭̐̓͋̑ͯ͗̒͞e͗͐̑̆̿ͧ ͨ

̠̬̼͕̞̻̝̠ͩ̂͊́͘͞d̡̤͎͇̰̦̤͓͈̰̠̏̔ͥͤͣ̈́ͪͬͧͣ͌ͅ ̶͊̅̍͛̅̾̈́ͭͣ͌ͧ̋͏̩̱̬͍̻̱̥s̷̢͍̠̟͉̅͂̔̋ͫ̿̔͌ͥͮͬ̀͜ȇ̊̒ͤ̈̍ͥ̾ ͦ

̶̧͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯̮̝̦̲͜͟ ̶̧̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯̮̝̦͜͟ ̶̧̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯̮̝͜͟ ̶̧̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯̮͜͟ ̶̧̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯͜͟ ̶̧̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖͜͟ ̶̧̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳͜͟ ̶̧̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷͜͟ ̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷͜ ̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏͜ ̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏ ̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́ ͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛ ́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔ ͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿ ̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅ ̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͜͟

̞͇̘̱̼̣̖̰̫̜S̷̶̪͇̝̥͙̖̦̠̥͚͖̥͎͉̝͈̣͉̥̀ͧ͌̕͟a̛ͦͭ͌̂͟͏̰̥͔̠̪ t

ͣ͜n͙̠̙̦̫̺̩̐͊̓̐̍̚d̷͓̜͖̪̼͉̟̤͛͑͗̋ ͉ͤͧͦ̄̓̔ͧ̍͑̕͘o̗̦̹̫̹ͭͤf̶̛̖̣̦̯͚̪̞̞ͨ̂̌̃̇̎̐ ̈̐̄̔̾͑͏̵͇̤̰c̠̘̗̹̰̬̱̝̖ͦ̒ͧ̿̌̿͘ḧ̫̙̬͇̳͍͔́̊͒ͮ́͂͡a̫̪͙͎͉̲ ͎

̊ͧ̊͛͘͜g̪͔̩̑͆̆̏͛͌ͩ̋ớ̢̳̮̫̬̣͈͔ͨ̽ͧ̔̋.͍̦͇͔̲͓͔̜ͯ͂̆̋́ ̕ ̡̯͈̺̣̮̙̒͒̀̆ ̴̫̎̂ͪ͛͑̌̉ͯ͢Ḧ̫̤́ͨ̄͜͢͠e̲̯͍͇̫̋ ̮̱̗͍̤͚̬̞̟̾͘͢ẅ̢͙̭̥̜̿̍̀̏͌h̸̦̰ͥͧ̾̃͘o̊̅ͩ̔̾̅͛҉̯̳͢ ͣ̉͋̐͆̈ͪ҉̧̦͎̹͓͚͉̻͘W̶̧͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏ ̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅN ̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅ N̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ̱̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ͓̱̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ͖͓̱̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ͍͖͓̱̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ̖͍͖͓̱̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ͍̖͍͖͓̱̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ ̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͜͟

̛҉̝̜̩̫͕͇̟̲͙̦̮̲̪̜ͅe̜̗͎̣̙̻̰̦̬̱͖͂͑̀̿̉͆̋͊̍͛̀ͨ͡͞n͐ͩͮ͆̈̄ ̡͇̤͈̥̱͔͈̭̫̲̾ͭ̾ͬ̏͗̑͐͟ ̗̠̬̹̜̭͎̥̘̖̮͎̯͎͈̮̄͆̉̉ͪ̀ͤ͆̈ͫ̀̀̀̀̀f̸̷̫̳̀͗͑̌̽̇ͪ̅́̆̅ͥ̌͢ ̺ͣ͜n͙̠̙̦̫̺̩̐͊̓̐̍̚d̷͓̜͖̪̼͉̟̤͛͑͗̋ ͉ͤͧͦ̄̓̔ͧ̍͑̕͘o̗̦̹̫̹ͭͤf̶̛̖̣̦̯͚̪̞̞ͨ̂̌̃̇̎̐ ̈̐̄̔̾͑͏̵͇̤̰c̠̘̗̹̰̬̱̝̖ͦ̒ͧ̿̌̿͘ḧ̫̙̬͇̳͍͔́̊͒ͮ́͂͡a̫̪͙͎͉̲ ͎

̡̙̪̝̜͖͙̭̼̫͔͉̬̪͓͖̝͓̩͛͆̃̓̓̇̌ͪͯͯ͒̈̾̑͂̾̆̾̈́͜Ȉ̧̥̼͑ͫ̽͋́͢ ͎

̤ỏ̷̧̨͇̞̣͉̞͈͓͈͉̦͖̦̰̅̃̉͌̒̑n̢̤͈̬̠̬̣̓̎͊̍̿̾ͩͤͥ͛̀͝ ̵̏̾ͥ̀҉̺̗͎͔̼̲͟͠͝I̶̵̢ͤͮ͛̑͆ͤͨ͊ͧ͑̋̆ͦ͛ͩ̊ͮ̈́̽҉̞̟̠̗͓̤͓̠̖͚n ̇

̸ͩ̔̈͠͏̙͍̘̮̬̱͖̬͎ ̵͔͉͍͇̭̠̦̹̰̯̯͖͚ͫ̎ͮ̓̾̀͜Y̷̮͇̜̤͈̬͇̓ͨ͊̊̇̎͂̀̏̈́̈́͆̓͜͞őͯ̂͆ ͥ

́̄ͦ̉ͤͥ̃͊ͬ̿͊͏̶̜̭͕͖̮͎͙͎̹͈̼ụ̧̧̤̙̙̖͚͉̙͕̯͓͚̻̺̭ͦ͌̌ͩ̌̊́̚ ̯

̹̞ͅr͓͕͇͚̲͈̱̠̩͔̗̗͎̲̳̜̳ͧ̔̈ͣ̅͗ͭͮ̎͗̉͊́̚͘̕͢͞ ̒̏ͦ̓̔̃̉͂͏̵̟̙͈͍͎̻̺̖̪̠̠͚̳̩̬͎͞M̭̳̲͆̂́̇̓͑ͣ͛̊̈̒̈͋͋͂̆̓̈͢ ͍

͇̖̣̬̙̹a̧͇̖̟͎̟̗̼̫͍̟̺̫̱ͦ̌̽ͥ̒ͬ̊͋ͯ̉̋̏ͧ́̇̏͛ͧ́̚ͅr̈́ͯͨ̊̇̒͒ ͤ

e͕̹͖̊̔̏ͫ̍ͬͥ̚͠z̸̖̦̯̮̠̑p͎̭͂ͦ̇ͬͦ͌͞ḙ͆̆̉̽̉͗r̢̬͔̬͓̺͇͎̬̘̆ ̶̧͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺ͤ́͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯̮̝͜͟ ̶̧̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯̮͜͟ ̶̧̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖̯͜͟ ̶̧̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳̖͜͟ ̶̧̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷̳͜͟ ̶̧̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷͜͟ ̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏̷͜ ̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏͜ ̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́͏ ̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛́ ͏̷̶̧̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͎̩̰͉̘̳̮͙͍̖͍͖͓̱̺͌ͯ̂͋̽̊̇̑̇̀͘͜͟͠ͅN̏̽ͩ̅̿̔͛ ́͏̷̳̖̯̮̝̦̲̰͜͟

̆̋̕͝dͥͫ̊̾͋ͪͩ̒̐҉̙͇̩͉i͍̙̬̦͙͉͍ͮ͡ͅǎ̸̡̘̩̟̮̫̋̿̇̈́̀n̸̶̜̻̲ ̝

̰̗͙̍̌̓͐̾ͯ̀ ̩̣̻͍͔̩̥̱̈̊̆̎̔̔͑̕h̵̸̝̳̮̫̙̮͖̬̔̂͗̂͞i̴̪͎̖̠͐́̋͌͜͞v̺́̔ͬͨ ̉ͅ

ಠ_ಠ

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but as a vegetarian i would like to know how you make lasagna without cheese, or can you buy rennet-free cheese where you live? Or are you like me, not such a strict vegetarian? (I eat cheese and other milk products, fish and seafood, and duck and quail eggs, though i concentrate on fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts and tofu.)

Since i've already gone off topic, does anyone know why some people associate vegetarianism with lesbianism? Does that have anything to do with religious belief?

I'm not a vegan, though I can get along with vegans very well when it comes to dinner. Vegetarians do eat cheese and eggs, but not meat. For me, as long as the animal doesn't have to die for me to get food, it's OK. It's called a Lacto-ovo vegetarian. I don't eat any meat. As for eggs, if there is no rooster around, there is no chick inside the egg. Works just like human beings. I do not eat fish, seafood, chicken, duck, goose, cattle, pigs, or other animals. Nothing higher up than an unfertilized egg. And no, I'm not a lesbian either. However, if you do eat fish, seafood and chicken, you are not technically a vegetarian.

Does that have anything to do with religious belief?

*Buries forehead in hand like Capt Picard.* Not unless you consider a love of animals, the earth, basically Pantheism a religion, but last I checked, Dawkins called it sexed up atheism. It's a way of life, but not a religion. I don't know why people don't get this stuff. sigh. I've been a vegetarian most of my life and people just don't get it.

More off topic ... but I make a white sauce out of soya margarine, soya milk and gram flour, and flavour it with either onion, fresh herbs or nutmeg - depending on my mood. It makes a fab topping to a lasagna or moussaka.

On topic - I guess in the west christians see people leaving the church to atheism much more often than to islam

More off topic ... but I make a white sauce out of soya margarine, soya milk and gram flour, and flavour it with either onion, fresh herbs or nutmeg - depending on my mood. It makes a fab topping to a lasagna or moussaka.

Sounds good. What is moussaka? Sounds almost like chocolate mousse, but I don't think that is what you mean, because I don't see herbs or nutmeg going with chocolate.

Also off topic, since everyone else seems to be. :rolleyes:

Unless they've managed to grow a plant with nipples on it, there's no such thing as 'Soy Milk'. It's 'Soy Juice'. Sexed up name or not, it's still gross.

facepalmhv.jpg

I also don't understand the concept of 'no milk or dairy' that some vegetarians have. Lactose Intolerance I understand, but cows need to be milked. I don't get the concept of 'nondairy' having anything to do with the usual reasons for vegetarianism. Yes, I know how milk is produced, I've been to several dairy farms.

It's not really any healthier than a good omnivorous diet. In fact, it's more difficult and expensive to eat healthy with only plants. Meat is good for you in the proper amounts. It's also less expensive and faster than eating the large variety of plants required for a daily allowance, or vitamins. I'd rather have a small piece of meat with a plate of veggies that measures out to what I need than spend the day popping pills and grazing. A slight exaggeration I know, but the point still stands.

I get the animal rights thing, but I'm less than sympathetic if things are done properly. Cows and chickens are stupid. I have difficulty feeling sorry for them. They're food, and the only reason we keep them in the numbers we do is because they are. I can get behind a lot of what Animal Rights activists stand for, but a properly run farm and slaughterhouse are not of concern to me.

We're not herbivores, and I've no desire to become one. I've got nothing against it if you do, but it's not really natural to eat that way. You're working against instinct, and while that might be fine for you, sympathy the fate of a farmed animal isn't enough to sway me against it.

I seriously doubt humanity as a whole will ever decide that it is. After all, what are we supposed to do with all those animals? Let them go? Sure, a few would adapt and survive, but be serious. They'd be huge pests and problems and we'd be killing them before long to keep them under control and prevent them from wreaking havoc on the local ecosystems anyway. There's no such thing as a wild chicken or dairy cow, like dogs they didn't exist in the wild. We bred them to be what they are, and simply setting them loose to terrorize the real wild would be a larger mistake than most animal right activists realize. Most of them would need to be destroyed even if we did stop using them as food.

It's also necessary to keep animals to sustain our population's food supply. We couldn't grow enough of the right kinds of varying food needed to keep our diet balanced in the space we use for animal farming. Sure, we could grow more crops with the land on the whole, but not enough of different types of food to sustain a healthy diet for everyone. Animals provide a lot of different things we need in one course that would require several varying crops to duplicate.

It's not really possible to replace them with plant crops and still get the same amount of nutrition from the same space. That's the advantage of animal farming. Yes, they take more room, but they also provide more elements for a proper diet in less space overall.

pyzamanimalrights.jpg

I have problems with the 'organic' crowd as well. Much like Jesus, the sentiment behind it is nice, but the reality of the situation doesn't fit the fantasy. Organic food isn't any healthier than normal crops. In fact, they're less safe. There's no such thing as a pesticide free farm, they just use 'organic' pesticide, which is less safe than modern pesticides.

It also takes up a lot more area to grow the same amount of food that way. Organic plants produce less useful product using a lot more area. They also use 'organic' fertilizer, which produces a lot more methane. We could not feed the population with organic crops. It doesn't produce enough food, it's not any healthier, and no, it doesn't taste any better. It's just a false ideal that was easy to fool the hippie crowd with and charge them more money for sub standard crops that are actually worse for the planet and them than the normal crops are.

Vegetarians I understand fine. I don't bother my vegan friends about it at all.

Though, I do get bugged by them on occasion. "What about the cow's butt? Do you think they throw that part away?"

No. It's called rump roast, and it's fucking awesome if it's cooked right. B)

Also lesbianism is linked to vegetarianism because of the hunting instinct.

Strictly speaking, men have a stronger hunting instinct. In our more primitive past, men did the hunting. Women were largely gatherers, and thus are more prone to vegetarian diets, especially in the absence of men.

The male instinct for hunting is stronger, thus men tend to eat more meat. Statistically, there are more women vegetarians.

That's the idea behind it. It's true on some levels, but it's often taken to sexist extremes. Just a residual cave instinct.

There are practical reasons behind it as well. It's harder to hunt and run with a hunting party while pregnant or with young children.

Both men and women have child rearing instincts, but it's stronger for women, and probably leads to them being more sympathetic as well. Maternal instincts tend to be more sympathetic in nature and that probably plays a role in it as well.

• Super Moderator

I'm getting hungry.

Sounds good. What is moussaka? Sounds almost like chocolate mousse, but I don't think that is what you mean, because I don't see herbs or nutmeg going with chocolate.

Moussaka is a greek dish - similar to Lasagne, in that there is a minced meat layer (soya / mushroom or TVP for us!), creamy sauce topiing and layes of potatoe and aubergine (egg plant?) - often has cinnamon in the seasoning as well.

Hi ContrBardus,

I fail to see how drinking liquidized soya beans is more gross than drinking bovine bodily scretions squirted into a feaces splattered bucket but each to their own. There are lots of altenatives to soya milk substitutes if people don't like the taste (and its never a good idea to eat too much of one food stuff including soya) all of which are healthier than cows milk for humans. One of rhe world's biggest con's is the dairy industries spin on clacium. Yes cows milk is a good source of calcium, but the body requires more calcium to deal with the nitrates in the milk portien than is present in the milk. Drinking cows milk leaves you calcium depleted.

You make some valid points but there are also a lot of inaccuracies in your current belief set. For example - it takes three times the land space to provide eqivalent protein from soya than it does from beef.

I also don't understand the concept of 'no milk or dairy' that some vegetarians have. Lactose Intolerance I understand, but cows need to be milked. I don't get the concept of 'nondairy' having anything to do with the usual reasons for vegetarianism. Yes, I know how milk is produced, I've been to several dairy farms.

It's not really any healthier than a good omnivorous diet. In fact, it's more difficult and expensive to eat healthy with only plants. Meat is good for you in the proper amounts. It's also less expensive and faster than eating the large variety of plants required for a daily allowance, or vitamins. I'd rather have a small piece of meat with a plate of veggies that measures out to what I need than spend the day popping pills and grazing. A slight exaggeration I know, but the point still stands.

I'm not going to quote the whole thing you posted and quite frankly I get this crap from both the religious and non-religious. Also, an omnivorous diet isn't more healthy than a vegetarian diet. I raised my sons on a vegetarian diet with full pediatrician approval. My sons had the option of eating meat when they were at friends' homes or went out to eat and today, my older son, now 20, is a semi-vegetarian (he'll eat seafood and chicken) and the other, now 18, eats meat.

Let's get one thing straight though, I don't do it for health. I don't like meat, period. Never have and never will. I have no desire to eat meat and I don't give a damn if you think meat is good for people. I don't take vitamins either and I'm still just as healthy if not more healthy than a carnivore who clogs their arteries with meat fat.

Secondly, no dairy is a vegan attitude, not a vegetarian attitude. There are differences between vegans and vegetarians. Animals freely give their milk, but they don't freely give their life and quite often know when their life is being threatened- stupid or not and contrary to some humans' opinions.

Third, I have other reasons to be a vegetarian too and those reasons have strong meaning for me. I don't go around imposing my vegetarian life-style on anyone either nor do I go around explaining in detail why I'm a vegetarian, but I do take issues with people imposing their carnivore ways on me and insisting meat is better and it is cracked up to be this and that. I don't give a flying pig's ass what you think about meat or if you think cows and chicken are stupid, or if killing animals is better for the environment or not, that isn't the point and you wouldn't get it if I even tried to explain it to you. So, I don't go around trying to explain anything to anyone.

You can give life meaning your way and I'll give life meaning my way and if we don't agree on something, we can just agree to disagree about it without going on at length with silly excuses as to why we disagree with the other. I have not made one excuse or justification as to why I am a vegetarian, except to say what it is not and that I don't like meat. I've also made it quite clear that I really don't care about what your justifications for eating meat are. Beyond this post all I've said was that I am a vegetarian and shared a couple recipe ideas with anyone who gives a damn. Be dismayed all you want and show pics of meat all you want, but it won't change anything. I can't make you not like meat anymore than you can make me like meat- my own mother couldn't make me like meat, so as I said, it's been a lifetime thing for me and if you think it is some religious thingy, I hate to break this to you, but there is no sacred text for vegetarianism nor any church that I know of. So, go take that one up with the Xians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc. and that lesbian thing... I've never heard of that one before. :rolleyes: I have no clue where people get that one, because all the lesbians I ever met, do eat meat and at the same time, I can find a few cute guys here and there who are vegetarians and straight. I do believe that one is a myth.

The crazy crap people come up with. :rolleyes: Unbelievable.

facepalmhv.jpg

Hi ContrBardus,

I fail to see how drinking liquidized soya beans is more gross than drinking bovine bodily scretions squirted into a feaces splattered bucket but each to their own. There are lots of altenatives to soya milk substitutes if people don't like the taste (and its never a good idea to eat too much of one food stuff including soya) all of which are healthier than cows milk for humans. One of rhe world's biggest con's is the dairy industries spin on clacium. Yes cows milk is a good source of calcium, but the body requires more calcium to deal with the nitrates in the milk portien than is present in the milk. Drinking cows milk leaves you calcium depleted.

You make some valid points but there are also a lot of inaccuracies in your current belief set. For example - it takes three times the land space to provide eqivalent protein from soya than it does from beef.

Thank you, Alice for addressing that one. No need of me ranting about that too. :) Actually, soy milk is pretty good and doesn't cause one's environmental allergies to be worse. If I drink milk, it's generally skim milk, because fatty milk clogs my throat even more with all my allergies draining into my throat and alike. Soy milk doesn't do that as much and I still get my daily calcium needs met, because soy has some calcium too.

And thanks for explaining Moussaka to me. Sounds wonderful vegetarian style. :)

Thank you, Alice for addressing that one. No need of me ranting about that too. :) Actually, soy milk is pretty good and doesn't cause one's environmental allergies to be worse. If I drink milk, it's generally skim milk, because fatty milk clogs my throat even more with all my allergies draining into my throat and alike. Soy milk doesn't do that as much and I still get my daily calcium needs met, because soy has some calcium too.

You're welcome :-)

My immediate family represents the gamult of dietry approaches. My hubs is a fully paid up meat eater (although he now eats a lot less meat quantity than he did a few years ago, and he finds organic meat vastly more tasty nad is happy to eat less but better quality and locally sourced meat to balance out the cost) two children who are now peskatarian (eat fish) one of whom eats dairy but not eggs and the other eats eggs but not dairy, two who are vegan - one for philosphocal reasons (so he includes honey on his list of things he chooses not to use, and he doesn't wear leather or wool) the otehr who is vegan for health reasons, and just doesn't consume any animal proteins, and then me - I mainly follow a no dairy peskatarian diet for health reasons but every now and then I just give into cheese tempatation

People think this would make cooking a night mare - but it isn't, it is challenging and I have to plan ahead a lot, but everyone chips in and helps and we tend to have sort of 'themes' to our family meals, so that there are side dish overlaps. My children are always gracious and polite about their food choices and go out of their way to bring alternatives if they eat elsewhere, or let their hosts know in advance so they don't cause difficulties. No one nags anyone else and whilst we will all answer questions and get involved in discussion and dialogue, no one preaches and we really love food!

Happy to share food idea's - I have a vegetarian or vegan alternative to most meals (I have the simplest and most fabulous vegan chocolate mousse receipe!)

This food talk is way off topic! You can’t do that!

Oh wait.

This is the Lion’s Den.

My bad. Carry on. :HaHa: