Goodbye Jesus

How would you rebut this?

Onyx

Mr. Braggio:

"Hey! I’m here to tell you about the tenacity of the flat earth belief. You see the sky at night? Well, the sky is a dome which God put over us to prevent us from seeing His wrathful face which see over our shoulders as we type godly stuff on the Internet.

The earth is carried on pillars while the Sun orbit around it. You see, Earth is the center of the universe, thus confirming its specialness with God.

The measuration of the earth is that the earth is 70000 km wide and 70 km deep to put the people into God’s oven.

The stars and galaxies are glued to the dome with God’s superglue and never expand and contracts. God orbits the planets around Earth and Sun is orbiting it too.

Water goes off Earth’s edge which is evidenced by the horizons of oceans. Which is proof water flows over the edge!

The sun goes down when it’s night which is proof that Earth is flat! Then the sun comes up, since The Sun orbits vertically around Earth. The dome is 100 million km high with a trap door which lets God see through the dome. Also the universe is flat in the bottom but concave in the top. This is a boon to God and his fag hating angels but not a boon to the satanically inspired demon and their partner in crime: Satan which is located in the bottom of the universe, gnawing in the darkness.

I believe when the angels come to Earth, they beats up fags and any infidels and tries to leave proof of a young Earth when Satan puts in a proof of an old earth.

Can you match this?"

What do you think thus far? How DO you rebut this?

Perhaps we should take a space shuttle up into orbit and look for ourselves?

If they are serious, then they have already shown themselves to be detached from reality and debating them would be a waste of time, although perhaps entertaining. Even the hardest-headed and deluted fundies would think they are crazy. They do pose a problem, however, because all of their ideas are bible based-- but that's only a problem for Christians, not us.

The dumber the idea the harder it is to rebut.

Let's take this item by item.

"Hey! I’m here to tell you about the tenacity of the flat earth belief. You see the sky at night? Well, the sky is a dome which God put over us to prevent us from seeing His wrathful face which see over our shoulders as we type godly stuff on the Internet.

Khan snuck this one out from under me. Launch a shuttle and see if it rams into anything.

The earth is carried on pillars while the Sun orbit around it. You see, Earth is the center of the universe, thus confirming its specialness with God.

We've disproved that VERY soundly not only through observation(we haven't yet seen a pillar holidng up the earth) but also by experimentation. A brilliant man named Eratosthenes measured the shadow two sticks cast in different places of the world(specifically Alexandria and Syene). He reasoned that if the world was flat, the shadows would be identicle. If the world was round however, they would cast shadows of different lengths, because they were facing different angles.

And as far as us being in the center of the universe, um.. no. We've looked via Astronomy. We're not even in the center of our galaxy. We're in the backwater quadrent of a suberb of a galaxy cluster.

The measuration of the earth is that the earth is 70000 km wide and 70 km deep to put the people into God’s oven.

Again, Erathosthenes was able to calculate(to a remarkable degree of accuracy) the circumference of the earth. It's not a hot plate folkes, and it's not in God's Oven.

The stars and galaxies are glued to the dome with God’s superglue and never expand and contracts. God orbits the planets around Earth and Sun is orbiting it too.

Nope. We've dated the light from the stars, it's definately not on a dome. Even if the dome was REALLY far away so that the shuttle's wouldn't ram into it, the stars show different ages and distances.

Water goes off Earth’s edge which is evidenced by the horizons of oceans. Which is proof water flows over the edge!

If water flowed off the edge, where do we get the resupply?

The sun goes down when it’s night which is proof that Earth is flat! Then the sun comes up, since The Sun orbits vertically around Earth. The dome is 100 million km high with a trap door which lets God see through the dome. Also the universe is flat in the bottom but concave in the top. This is a boon to God and his fag hating angels but not a boon to the satanically inspired demon and their partner in crime: Satan which is located in the bottom of the universe, gnawing in the darkness.

I believe when the angels come to Earth, they beats up fags and any infidels and tries to leave proof of a young Earth when Satan puts in a proof of an old earth.

Can you match this?"

This is the part where I tie Mr. Braggio into a straight jacket and take him to my Wizard Tower for Experimentation and Other Fun and Naughty acts.

Merlin

Apologists defend the bible, critics attack it. Critics point out things in it that are stupid, immoral, absurd, contradictory, and fake. These flat-earth arguments are just SOME of the things apologists have defended for centuries, and people fried for believing otherwise. However, with so much evidence, most Christian minds have to accept the truth and then rationalize how it could fit in with God's inerrant word. Only recently under an avalanche of OVERWHELMING and UNDENIABLE evidence did they (-most anyway) admit the critics (scientists/astronomers) were right, and it took a LONG time! The battle continues-- even though some refuse to ever concede, no matter how strong the evidence. This just magnifies how resistant some people are to the truth.

Apologists defend the bible, critics attack it.  Critics point out things in it that are stupid, immoral, absurd, contradictory, and fake.  These flat-earth arguments are just SOME of the things apologists have defended for centuries, and people fried for believing otherwise. However, with so much evidence, most Christian minds have to accept the truth and then rationalize how it could fit in with God's inerrant word.  Only recently under an avalanche of OVERWHELMING and UNDENIABLE evidence did they (-most anyway) admit the critics (scientists/astronomers) were right, and it took a LONG time! The battle continues-- even though some refuse to ever concede, no matter how strong the evidence. This just magnifies how resistant some people are to the truth.

Very well said. This person is a glimpse of who we would be arguing against had we lived 500 or 1000 years ago. These topics were very much in play (flat earth aside) long before the Enlightenment. Our descendents will no doubt look at the arguments of today (e.g. YEC) and feel that society is no more threatened by them than we are of these old flat earth suggestions. Progress is wonderful.

I wouldn't bother to rebut, for two reasons.

First, Merlin did a far better job at point-by-point rebuttal than I could. I certainly have nothing to add.

Second, you can't really rebut insanity. If Mr. Braggio is in fact serious, then he is so far disconnected from reality that it probably isn't possible to have a real discussion about it.

I'd probably do as Asimov would, and laugh and walk away.

Mr Braggio is indeed serious...

NO! The earth is NOT carried on pillars, it is carried on Elephants. And the Elephants are, in turn, carried on the back of a Giant Turtle. Then, it's Turtles all the way down.

I would rebut this way:

"There there, Mr Braggio. Everything will be OK. Those nice doctors will be here shortly to take you away to the happy place."

How would I rebut this? I wouldn't bother.

I don't have enough time to spend on someone who is that ignorant or stupid, or both. ;)

You ARE silly!

I'd rebut it like so:

SillyGeezer10, I'm not interested in rebutting your fictional character Mr. Braggio.

It's got to be a joke. There is no way in hell is that person is serious. No way.

But put this in your trick bag for later to use against those that want to teach our kids ID creationism as science.

If he is serious, then there are ppl that seriously take Zetetic Astronomy for real.

Ah well.

Very well said. 

<humbly> Thank you.

This person is a glimpse of who we would be arguing against had we lived 500 or 1000 years ago.  These topics were very much in play (flat earth aside) long before the Enlightenment.  Our descendents will no doubt look at the arguments of today (e.g. YEC) and feel that society is no more threatened by them than we are of these old flat earth suggestions.  Progress is wonderful.

Amen.

Ok. This is all a extremely late April Fool day's prank but let's face it, one day this forum will get a person like Mr Braggio, spouting irrationality. You have to be prepared for persons like this, who believe this tripe. There's still flat earthers out there, and some of them is on the internet. There's some chance that one of them is bound to come here, spouting terrible statements.

BE PREPARED.

BE PREPARED.

To laugh? :lmao:

Yeah and ignore them? Either way, I think you'll get a flat earther eventually. Hours of enterinment to be had. If one does come here, I hope he's a lunatic. :lmao::HaHa::grin::wicked:

WELCOME BACK TRUTHWARRIOR!! Great to see you again!

I don't have enough time to spend on someone who is that ignorant or stupid, or both. ;)

You ARE silly!

I totally agree.

Well, have you heard of satire? I am indeed silly...

Apologists defend the bible, critics attack it.  Critics point out things in it that are stupid, immoral, absurd, contradictory, and fake.  These flat-earth arguments are just SOME of the things apologists have defended for centuries, and people fried for believing otherwise. However, with so much evidence, most Christian minds have to accept the truth and then rationalize how it could fit in with God's inerrant word.  Only recently under an avalanche of OVERWHELMING and UNDENIABLE evidence did they (-most anyway) admit the critics (scientists/astronomers) were right, and it took a LONG time! The battle continues-- even though some refuse to ever concede, no matter how strong the evidence. This just magnifies how resistant some people are to the truth.

I sure agree with "resistant"......There were some that I knew that insisted every single word was literal in the bible......including revelations, which is just...um....crazy!! :ugh: LOL!

Yeah and ignore them? Either way, I think you'll get a flat earther eventually. Hours of enterinment to be had. If one does come here, I hope he's a lunatic.  :lmao:   :HaHa:   :grin:   :wicked:

WELCOME BACK TRUTHWARRIOR!! Great to see you again!

Ahhhh...what would we do without some good humor in the world, right?

:lmao::lmao:

By the way.....where did the, uh, peice of work come from anyway?

Just wondering........ :HaHa:

Merlin did a far better job at point-by-point rebuttal than I could. I certainly have nothing to add.

THANK YOU! Carl Sagan is a wonderful resource...

You ARE silly!

What Geez Said. Surrealist Satire. Gotta love it.

Besides, it's funny as hell... plus it's fun to tout your scientific superiority. :grin:

Panther: Look in the Humor and Satire thread for the Killing Infidels for Christ thread for Mr. Braggio in action. <ego>Look for my Cameo!</ego>

<self_promotion>Then take a look at the "A day in the life of an Incredibly Epic-Level ArchMage" for my take on the same style. I'm still working on a new addition to that btw.</self_promotion>

Merlin

Guest Slayer-2004

I will probobly deal with him the same way I deal with other apologists I feel are not worth debating , and screw with him/her by claiming I am god and then stating TATPIAG ( Trancendental argument that proves I am god . )