Goodbye Jesus

"baptism Is A Gang Tattoo"

sarahgrace

"Baptism is a Gang Tattoo." Someone on my news feed posted this as a status update today. I'm not making it up. How hilarious is that? I mean, how much is wrong with that sentence? Some other guy left a joking comment saying "Since tattooing someone against their will is assault/battery, wouldn't this mean infant baptism = child abuse?"

Hilarious. I asked if the tattoo was removable. When I received the answer "no, it's as permanent as can be! But, just having the tattoo doesn't necessarily mean its recipient will continue participating in gang activity" I then asked if I was in danger of being shanked for punking out on my gang. And of course, he came back and said: "I'd say that perpetually unfulfilled obligations would result in an eternal "shanking" of sorts. Heh."

Nice. So I shot back, "I'd expect nothing less from a crime lord gang leader."

This guy is always posting ridiculous shit on his facebook, always coming off as condescending and oh-so-righteous. But this was a new level of hilarity, and I thought you guys would get a kick out of it. :)

Ah, even better, now he's accused me and the other guy of "package deal" logical fallacies for pointing out flaws in his analogy, and deleted the entire exchange. what a chicken. :-P

He deleted it? Coward...that was sounding like a good round of status commenting/bashing (my favorite FB hobby)... :D

Ah, no, it's back now. Looks like it might have been a glitch. I responded to him, saying that it's difficult for the outside listener to know how far a ridiculously flawed analogy is supposed to go, and that the fun of analogies is chasing down and unpacking the various implications of the initial assertion.

Am I wrong to think that if you are going to assert that "x = y" in the form of an analogy, that it's a bit cowardly to just yell "logical fallacy!!" when people point out the bad places your analogy could be taken? Bear in mind that he's not clarifying his position much, he's just saying "that's a package deal fallacy, my analogy obviously isn't perfect." He based a whole sermon on this analogy though, so... yeah. I'm not that strong when it comes to off-the-cuff critical arguments but it doesn't really sit well with me.

Little help, guys?

This guy is already ignoring that tattoos can be removed, and I dried off with the blasphemy towel.

It sounds like he only wants his own interpretation of the meaning of the analogy to be discussed, and he isn't really willing to consider that others outside of the faith have very different interpretations of the Gang Tattoo thing.

In general, gangs are exclusive, potentially violent, and something that people regret when they get older.

Here are some quotes about gang tattoos:

Tattoos are a stigma that follows them through life. They find it difficult to get a job. They find it difficult to have a lasting relationship. They find it difficult to become a productive member of society.

When people begin to regret their tattoos, many resort to drastic measures.... These extreme measures to remove gang tattoos illustrate the steps our youth will take to get out of gangs, hoping to lead productive lives.

Tell your friend that there is still help for him. The stigma and shame of his "gang" can be removed, but only he can take the first step.

It sounds like he only wants his own interpretation of the meaning of the analogy to be discussed, and he isn't really willing to consider that others outside of the faith have very different interpretations of the Gang Tattoo thing.

In general, gangs are exclusive, potentially violent, and something that people regret when they get older.

I was thinking something similiar. A gang means you're usually in it for life and if you try to leave, they either kick the sh*t out of you or kill you. Plus you are usually involved in illegal activties and are killing other gangs' members. Mind damaging drug use is common. Challenging gang leadership is usually not tolerated and will result in penalties. So it's actually pretty close to Christianity when you look at it like that.

I was thinking something similiar. A gang means you're usually in it for life and if you try to leave, they either kick the sh*t out of you or kill you. Plus you are usually involved in illegal activties and are killing other gangs' members. Mind damaging drug use is common. Challenging gang leadership is usually not tolerated and will result in penalties. So it's actually pretty close to Christianity when you look at it like that.

And that is precisely what the guy that originated the idea of gang tattoos didn't want to have considered. But, to those of who have left, WE KNOW it fits!

Haha, yeah, the analogy really works more than this fellow would like to consider. He still hasn't responded to my criticism about crying over different interpretations of his analogy... what a shock.

An interesting analogy.. He probably just didn't think it through all the way and it resulted in disaster. I see what you guys mean and I should look at myself.