Goodbye Jesus

Just Another

Guest Nashy

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but have been an atheist for about two years now. Here is my falling out.

I was raised southern baptist for my entire life. Throughout the years I found it harder and harder to believe that a god existed. In my teen years I knew I was gay, and the strain that put on my beliefs was tremendous. I tried to "fix" myself numerous amounts of times, even tried to ignore the way I was as well, all to be a "proper christian." My mind has always worked in a scientific way and many of the stories in the bible didn't sit well with me, as well as the many repulsive and unchristian things spread throughout the text. When I started college, I fell farther from religion. My scientific mind has led me to pursue a degree in biology and unlike some scientific people, I just can't keep those religious beliefs I half hold true. The final step was when I came out to my friends, mother, and sisters. Luckily, none of them are very religious and use their mind when such things come about. I am glad to say that I no longer need religion and the strain it puts on me. I feel better than ever as an ex-christian. I can finally accept who I am instead of trying to "fix" myself. I still enjoy debating religion and learning all I can about it. For the most part, I am anti-religion and feel that in a modern society, it is no longer needed.

Thanks for reading!

Kyle

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but have been an atheist for about two years now. Here is my falling out.

I was raised southern baptist for my entire life. Throughout the years I found it harder and harder to believe that a god existed. In my teen years I knew I was gay, and the strain that put on my beliefs was tremendous. I tried to "fix" myself numerous amounts of times, even tried to ignore the way I was as well, all to be a "proper christian." My mind has always worked in a scientific way and many of the stories in the bible didn't sit well with me, as well as the many repulsive and unchristian things spread throughout the text. When I started college, I fell farther from religion. My scientific mind has led me to pursue a degree in biology and unlike some scientific people, I just can't keep those religious beliefs I half hold true. The final step was when I came out to my friends, mother, and sisters. Luckily, none of them are very religious and use their mind when such things come about. I am glad to say that I no longer need religion and the strain it puts on me. I feel better than ever as an ex-christian. I can finally accept who I am instead of trying to "fix" myself. I still enjoy debating religion and learning all I can about it. For the most part, I am anti-religion and feel that in a modern society, it is no longer needed.

Thanks for reading!

Kyle

Thanks for writing!

There are some things in your story that would seem to be sure fired Christian belief killers including being gay and being "scientifically minded" with a biology major. Biology and many types of god-belief are seemingly incompatible.

However, I am a physician and I know lots of physicians who claim to still believe. Some of them I know still believe. Others just don't want to talk about it, and I can't blame them.

Hello, welcome and congrats on finding your way out and finally getting that inner peace! Great to have you around, I'm sure some of your experiences will be very useful for others in an earlier stage of the deconversion process!

I'm a newby too, Kyle. Also raised in the Baptist church. So good to read your words, and hear YOUR truths.

I've got a story too, and it's fairly long, so I'll get to it as soon as I have time to share.

Holly

• 3 weeks later...

I feel better than ever as an ex-christian. ...

Thanks for reading!

Kyle

Belated I know, but welcome to the forums Kyle!

..So do you have a favorite biology subject... genetics, molecular, zoology?

Fascinating stuff eh!?!