I Can Be Myself Here

Evelyn

I haven't been on Ex-C in a while as I *thought* I had come to a place, five years past leaving x-ianity, where I was comfortable and at ease with my decision and didn't need as much support. Then, I decided to join Facebook as former classmates at the x-ian high school I went to are on there, as well as my sister and some friends.

Well, as soon as I joined, I "friended" my sister, a pentecostal fundy and missionary to boot, and so I get her daily fundy postings to her friends on my "wall". I haven't told my family I'm no longer an xian. I quickly figured out how to have the wall only viewed by me, as I don't want other "friends" of mine to see her posts and think that I'm that way, too. All of the former classmates I have "friended" so far are still fundys 30 years later. It figures.

I've left the "political views" and "religious views" section of my Facebook profile blank, as I don't want to get sh*t from anyone, including my family, about that. I have put "The Daily Show" as one of my favorite TV shows, so there's a little bit of non-fundy-ism showing. As a result, though, I feel like I'm not being myself. Blah.

I joined the Ex-C Facebook group. Then I realized this showed up on the "activity" portion of my profile, so I had to quickly figure out how to get rid of that before anyone saw it, ugh.

So, I thought I'd come back to hanging out here with other ex-xians, where I can be true to myself, aahhh. :grin:

Hiya Ev!

Wondered where you had wondered off too..

Good to have have an "old hand" back to the digs... :)

kevinL

Welcome back :)

Ugh - sorry to hear you wall got covered with christian graffiti. Maybe you should just delete your account, or start a new one with a different email addy.

Aw, facebook can be sucky like that. The 'delete' button is my best friend. :)

I know just how you feel!

At first it was bad because all my Christian friends from church (pentecostal as well) were posting religious crap all the time and then my old school friends were the same (i went to a christian school too) but then my parents had to join and ruin all the fun. They know I'm not a christian anymore but I get drilled over my quotes and being a fan of Bill Maher. Also my christian friends post the most ridiculous stuff that is totally illogical. I rarely say anything but the moment I show any disagreement they get totally offend so I just stopped commenting. Of course if I posted my atheist material they would all flip out and start telling me I'm demon possessed or something like that.

Its such a double standard. Even though I'm out to my parents I feel like I can't be who I am because everyone will get pissed and offended.

I say be yourself and screw the repercussions!

Okay, okay...not always so easy to do. Not everyone finds pissing off family and former friends as perversely enjoyable as I do...

Heh most my friends are as atheist as I am, and certainly as liberal, but I added my ultra conservative christian dad recently. We have never had an actual conversation about my unbelief but I don't hide it. I had a pagan wedding, I don't go to church, I voted for Obama and against prop 8 etc. Anyway, whenever he posted a christian post, I'd post an evolution/ atheist post. When he posts birther crap, I post Jon Stewart making fun of it. That sort of thing. Its kind of funny because I comment sometimes on his nonsense and he has never ever responded. My dad is also ultra passive aggressive so taunting him is sadistically amusing to me.

Anyway, thats how I deal with the fundy in my life. Must be harder with a whole mess of people though. It sucks when you feel like you have to hide who you are. I did that a lot but figure I'm an adult now, they are adults, they can deal with reality. Again, I have the good fortune of not having many fundies in my life, certainly not directly in contact with me. I think if I did I would turn into the type of person who willingly fights over these issues out of boredom if nothing else.