Goodbye Jesus

Help - Having A Brain Fart On Some Good Comebacks

Tyson

Don't know what is wrong with me, but I've dealt with this before but can't seem to recollect my answers. Anyway, I'm sure you guys have heard the popular refrain from Christians that the fact that an atheist/agnostic is debating the existence of god this means the atheist/agnostic, by virtue, MUST secretly believe in god. Their reasoning is, if you don't believe in god then you have no reason to be debating his existence or non existence.

How would you guys "comeback" on this?

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy? You don't? wait a minute - didn't the tooth fairy bring you money when you were a kid? Can you prove the tooth fairy isn't real? Sure, you caught your mom putting money under your pillow once, but that doesn't prove there is no tooth fairy!

If you can get them at all engaged in defending their disbelief in the tooth fairy, say "you MUST believe in the tooth fairy, or you wouldn't be arguing with me!"

Don't know what is wrong with me, but I've dealt with this before but can't seem to recollect my answers. Anyway, I'm sure you guys have heard the popular refrain from Christians that the fact that an atheist/agnostic is debating the existence of god this means the atheist/agnostic, by virtue, MUST secretly believe in god. Their reasoning is, if you don't believe in god then you have no reason to be debating his existence or non existence.

If they are discussing and debating the reasons for being an atheist/agnostic, they must in fact be considering it and be atheist/agnostic in their hearts.

And if they talk to, discuss with, or argue with a Muslim, it must mean they are secretly wanting to join Islam.

Or that they discuss Evolution, it must mean they believe Evolution is true.

etc...

Talking about a topic is not the same as agreeing on the answers or conclusions in the topic. Obviously they don't know what hypothetical thinking or reasoning is. I'm sorry to say, but they are stuck in a low-level thinking. About a 13 year old mentality.

Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy? You don't? wait a minute - didn't the tooth fairy bring you money when you were a kid? Can you prove the tooth fairy isn't real? Sure, you caught your mom putting money under your pillow once, but that doesn't prove there is no tooth fairy!

If you can get them at all engaged in defending their disbelief in the tooth fairy, say "you MUST believe in the tooth fairy, or you wouldn't be arguing with me!"

The Tooth fairy is a source for antisocial and deviant behavior: the kids learn that it's okay to sell their body parts for money.

As an apostle for the tooth fairy, I must say that the kids who think the tooth fairy is advocating prostitution have completely misconstrued the word of tooth. A body part must fall off the body before it can be sold.

How about, "You're a moron!"

Not clever, but it is to the point.

My opinion on this is that the Xian version of "God" does not exist.

I cannot speak for the existence/non-existence of any other higher being that may or may not be "out there".

Otherwise...I like Davka's argument...

As an apostle for the tooth fairy, I must say that the kids who think the tooth fairy is advocating prostitution have completely misconstrued the word of tooth. A body part must fall off the body before it can be sold.

So you think you have a direct line to The ToothTM?

You guys are a riot. Thanks for the help and the laughs.

So you think you have a direct line to The ToothTM?

Of Course! The ToothTM is sitting next to me.

Gawd does not exist, but its deluded followers are sadly quite real.

Simple as that.

By the morontheist "reasoning" there was no reason for anyone to oppose the nazis, the bolsheviks, the (insert bastards here) because hey, their basic worldview was wrong anyway.

Say you believe in Christians. Hence you also believe in people being fleeced by televangelists, people campaigning to have abstinence only sex-ed, attempts made to silence valid areas of scientific inquiry, not to mention Christian Reconstructionism or what have you. Hence there is a reason to debate his existence seeing as how others believe in has a negative effect on the society in which you live.

By the Christians own reasoning, SHe must secretly believe there is no God. Oh, wait he doesn't? What? This conclusion does not follow? Well, never mind. I need a drink

Guess I must believe in homeopathy, when I take time to tell my mother she’s wasting her money on it.

Isn't that like saying, "If you don't believe in aliens [holocaust, baked bread, nutrinos], you have no reason to be debating their existance or non-existance"?

Mongo

How about, "You're a moron!"

Not clever, but it is to the point.

A bit angry though.

You might consider badgering them to think for themselves with, "That makes no sense. When you decide to hold yourself to a higher standard of reasoning, I'll be happy to discuss it with you" and then walk away.

If they are morons (and they might be from what you present to us) they will think your a twad and move on. On the other hand they might realize that an absence of mental rigor is not a virtue.

Of course they won't use those words in their minds. It might go like, [With a resounding echo]"Maybe I should have taken him more seriously".

Which may give you another angle. How about saying, "I don't think you're taking this discussion seriously and I can waste my own time, I don't need you to waste it for me. See you later." I like that better because it points out that they take other people less seriously than you do and that creates moral conflict and that is a far more worthy goal than winning a logical argument.

Mongo

Flip it.

The fact that a Christian is debating the non-existence of god means the Christian, by virtue, MUST secretly believe there is no god. The reasoning is, if you are comfortable in your belief in God, then you have no reason to be debating his existence or non existence.

As a blanket rule, both views are bullshit. Some "doth protest too much." SOME. On both sides.

Phanta

Excellent point. I like this approach.