Goodbye Jesus

I Feel Bad

bird28

Hmmm... not only can I not tell my charistmatic best friend I don't believe anymore, but on top of that I find myself lying and telling her to pray over problems in my life, etc.. what should I do about this? All she talks about is God this and God that... ?

I find myself lying and telling her to pray over problems in my life, etc..

Why do you do this Bird? If she likes you because you lie, then how can that allow you to truly feel liked by her?

If she truly is a friend she would accept you for who you are and not let the friendship be conditional with regards to you being a christian. Hopefully she will react with acceptance and curiosity ("Why do you feel the way you do?") instead of driving doctrine on you again.

Time to sit down and have a serious chat with your friend. She may be upset at first, but it shouldn't affect the friendship. I was very worried about my old friend finding out, but she was open and willing to hear my side, and our friendship survived.

Well I have to admit that I don’t tell the truth to some of my family members, but I don’t lie either. I guess we’ve silently agreed to a don’t ask, don’t tell policy.

The way I look at it is that anyone’s religious beliefs are their own personal business. And I think that those who pry into these matters can be rude. And besides, I think religious beliefs are often a negligible aspect of most people’s character anyway.

What I’m suggesting is that you can avoid both lies about your religious beliefs and the truth about them. And if she can’t manage communicate with you under those conditions, then maybe you could kindly suggest for her to get real.

Hmmm... not only can I not tell my charistmatic best friend I don't believe anymore, but on top of that I find myself lying and telling her to pray over problems in my life, etc.. what should I do about this? All she talks about is God this and God that... ?

A good friend should consider you a friend too. If she only babbles about gawd all day, how much place in their heart/soul/whatever is there left for you? :Hmm:

Are you scared of her reaction? That she won't be your friend? That may be true, but if she doesn't know the real you then how much of a friend can she be? You deserve to be appreciated for you completely, not fake you.

Mayyybe if you want to let her down easy, read some taoism or buddhism and let her know your experimenting with religion, since you know if Jesus is real he'll guide you correctly. Or some such BS. Then over some time she might accept that you aren't one of her 'chosen', instead of feeling betrayed when you say 'I don't believe in Jesus.'

Who knows? Maybe your decision to search for truth, wherever it leads, will rub off on her.

Are you scared of her reaction? That she won't be your friend? That may be true, but if she doesn't know the real you then how much of a friend can she be? You deserve to be appreciated for you completely, not fake you.

Mayyybe if you want to let her down easy, read some taoism or buddhism and let her know your experimenting with religion, since you know if Jesus is real he'll guide you correctly. Or some such BS. Then over some time she might accept that you aren't one of her 'chosen', instead of feeling betrayed when you say 'I don't believe in Jesus.'

Who knows? Maybe your decision to search for truth, wherever it leads, will rub off on her.

I like that. "jesus told me that Buddha is the true way to understanding."