Goodbye Jesus

Getting Some Back Up

Guest GoneAway

Guest ephymeris

I spent the weekend with my husband and in laws. My FIL and I usually engage in some fairly heated discussions regarding religion and politics (he loves to debate I guess). My husband will put in his two cents but he's usually pretty benign, being the level headed one in our relationship and in the closet about his agnostic views to his family. This weekend, however, he really put the verbal "smack-down" on his dad during a Sunday morning debate over breakfast (in a respectful, non-fighting way.) My husb ran the gambit of topics including pagan basis of today's supposedly christian holidays, hypocrisy of christian "tolerance," the myth of "taking christ out of christmas" and "making it illegal to pray," the lying and power hungry past of the christian church, the fact that our founding fathers were NOT out to found a christian nation plus the lie that they were all christians (my husb totally pointed out that they were deists!), the annoying myth of christian persecution in america, and the implication of civil liberties and seperation of church and state.

Don't worry, there were no hurt feelings during this debate. His family loves each other enough to disagree without "fighting." I was so proud and impressed to hear how his views have shifted even further from his heavily indoctrinated past and even prouder that he is being so outspoken about it to his family. It's probably wrong that I thought "aha, he's come to the dark side of the force with me." :lmao: He's shedding his superstitious past and and being vocal about the fact that he's freed himself from the bondage of fundamentalist, conservative, christian culture.

Don't worry, there were no hurt feelings during this debate. His family loves each other enough to disagree without "fighting." I was so proud and impressed to hear how his views have shifted even further from his heavily indoctrinated past and even prouder that he is being so outspoken about it to his family. It's probably wrong that I thought "aha, he's come to the dark side of the force with me." :lmao: He's shedding his superstitious past and and being vocal about the fact that he's freed himself from the bondage of fundamentalist, conservative, christian culture.

I can't seem to argue with anyone without someone's feelings getting hurt. I once heard someone say, "Never discuss religion or politics in polite company."

So I try not to.

You did...uh... "reward" him for his little spiel, right? ;):P

Guest ephymeris

You did...uh... "reward" him for his little spiel, right? ;):P

I was going to say no but then I realized, yup, guess I did :HaHa:

Glad it went well for you guys! For me, my in-laws are about the only people I haven't officially "come out" to, but that's only because it's just never come up. Seems like your hubby handled himself well, and they must be pretty open and willing to debate to keep feelings from getting hurt.