Goodbye Jesus

My Favorite Cat Poem

Deva

I came across this article in Slate Magazine today:

http://www.slate.com/id/2231535/

Although I had read portions of Christopher Smart's poem about Jeoffry, his cat, I had never seen it in its entirety.

Its a great poem. It helps too, if you love cats as I do.

Even though it has a lot of Christian references, I think in its essence, it has nothing to do with the Christianity I departed from. All the spiritual feeling is left that really was the only thing worthwhile. The spiritual feeling one gets when looking at nature, a nice stained glass window, a wonderful piece of art, or just things that happen in everyday life.

I debated where to post this, but since it relates to spirituality so strongly I thought I would put it here.

Scroll down the link and it begins:

For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry.

For he is the servant of the Living God, duly and daily serving him.

For at the first glance of the glory of God in the East he worships in his way.

For is this done by wreathing his body seven times round with elegant quickness......

and ends

...For God has blessed him in the variety of his movements.

For, though he cannot fly, he is an excellent clamberer.

For his motions upon the face of the earth are more than any other quadruped.

For he can tread to all the measures upon the music.

For he can swim for life.

For he can creep

I love cats, especially interactive cats (someday I'll have a house full of Bengals instead of just onewicked.gif ) but I guess that poem just didn't do much for me - too many god references in a xian way I think for me to appreciate it much. But thank you for sharing anyways! Always great to meet other animal lovers!

Thank you for reading it HRD.

Deva, I agree that it is much deeper than the average understanding of Christianity. I think there is something to be learned there and that just living life in the manner in which a cat does is serving God. They are completely in the here and now, appreciate a nice warm spot to sun themselves and the cool dirt in the summer. They have the patience of a saint, yet they are completely aware of what's going on around them. Awareness as in meditation.

They dance...as we all should. :D

Deva, I agree that it is much deeper than the average understanding of Christianity. I think there is something to be learned there and that just living life in the manner in which a cat does is serving God. They are completely in the here and now, appreciate a nice warm spot to sun themselves and the cool dirt in the summer. They have the patience of a saint, yet they are completely aware of what's going on around them. Awareness as in meditation.

They dance...as we all should. :D

Agreed. Cats have no master and no rules, and you know this if you have ever owned one. They do as they please, according to their nature.

I like the notion that a sentient being, just by being what they are and doing what they do, is a servant of God. Not in the sense of a slavish obedience to command, but that it is simply the essence of what they are. God not really being separate from the being itself.

Agreed. Cats have no master and no rules, and you know this if you have ever owned one. They do as they please, according to their nature.

I like the notion that a sentient being, just by being what they are and doing what they do, is a servant of God. Not in the sense of a slavish obedience to command, but that it is simply the essence of what they are. God not really being separate from the being itself.

I now have a cat after 40 something years of never having one. Honestly, I am a dog person, but I still love the cat (except when she comes in with a low, muffled mrrroooouuuuuwwww. I know right then she has something unpleasant in her mouth! :HaHa:).

This is my view of what God is also. It isn't something that issues commands but persuades through life itself. :shrug:

Thanks NotBlinded and Phanta.

I particularly like this section too:

For having considered God and himself he will consider his neighbor.

For if he meets another cat he will kiss her in kindness.

For when he takes his prey he plays with it to give it a chance.

For one mouse in seven escapes by his dallying.

For when his day's work is done his business more properly begins.

For he keeps the Lord's watch in the night against the adversary.

For he counteracts the powers of darkness by his electrical skin and glaring eyes.

For he counteracts the Devil, who is death, by brisking about the life.

For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him.

My cat has "electrical skin" literally. Her fur is very dense and soft and really holds the static electricity! At night sometimes if its really dark in the room and I pet her, I can see the sparks!

I just love the language and the structure of the poem. Normally cats are thought to be cruel playing with their prey but he even turns that around into something positive "he plays with it to give it a chance".

• 2 weeks later...

my cat thinks she is God !

Thank you Net Eng and Ripley!

Yes, cats think they are Gods

• 2 weeks later...

I tithe at least ten percent of my income to my cats. I guess that makes them gods :grin:

Wilyfem: no, I have not read "Pangur Ban". Do you have a link or reference?

I would probably have two cats but that would be against the rules where I live. Sometimes I think my kitty gets lonely.

Freelily: They certainly can be expensive!

Yes, cats think they are Gods

Some think they are; mine has no doubts about it. The worst is leaving in the morning when he hangs his head over the arm of the sofa, as if to say, "Going to work again ? That must suck bigtime. Bye..."