Goodbye Jesus

Oppression

Mudflappus

I was lurking through an anti abortion thread in a Christian forum last night and I noticed that the focus wasn't on helping women make an informed decision about the procedure, it was a thirty page diatribe about how anyone involved in the process should be punished. From life in prison to dragging both the mother and doctor behind the clinic and putting a bullet in their heads, those morons were almost drooling on their keyboards while trying to out do each other. Of course every singe one of them justified each despicable act with five paragraphs of scripture cherry picked just for the occasion.

This got me thinking. Abortion is just one facet of the secular world they would love to get their dick beaters on. Is the desire to oppress and control anyone who doesn't share their views a by product of extreme religiosity or is it the prime motivator? I think this question can be applied to most revealed religions as they all seem to maintain order by either putting a fictitious gun to someones head, (Hell) a real one or both. Most of these religions seem to have a pious orgasm at the mere mention of the word "punishment" so can it be concluded that the need to oppress others is indicative of some sort of repressed masochistic desire? What do you think?

Well they severely punish and traumatize themselves; through indoctrination and as a result of indoctrination. So basically, they earn their right to demand that everyone be like them.

Misery loves company and it will have no other company than that of everyone else. If everyone is miserable then it's easy to convince everyone they are truly happy. Such is the price people pay for utopic visions; whether it's Heaven or Communism or Fascism, it matters not.

It's a "chicken or the egg" question to me. Very hard to tell if the meme produces this militant behavior, or if people who are naturally very militant tend to grab ahold of religious memes...

It's a "chicken or the egg" question to me. Very hard to tell if the meme produces this militant behavior, or if people who are naturally very militant tend to grab ahold of religious memes...

That's true.

Similar to Communism or other ideologies that permit one to oppress, and there will always be those.

It's unfortunately a human trait, but not universal.

That's true.

Similar to Communism or other ideologies that permit one to oppress, and there will always be those.

I am thinking that most of this stuff is only part of human nature in the sense that it is a psychological weakness within us. As a result most of this kind of thing only comes to the foreground when sociological conditions are ripe for it; when a bad storm is brewing that perhaps no one truly intended to cause. Memes can and do exploit this weakness I would say.

That's true.

I am thinking that most of this stuff is only part of human nature in the sense that it is a psychological weakness within us. As a result most of this kind of thing only comes to the foreground when sociological conditions are ripe for it; when a bad storm is brewing that perhaps no one truly intended to cause. Memes can and do exploit this weakness I would say.

Yes, I like what you said - It is not a universal trait, or part of our nature.

It's a weakness.

Memes are necessarily exploitative. That's how they latch onto people and keep them under control.

Good points, Quid

That's true.

Yes, I like what you said - It is not a universal trait, or part of our nature.

It's a weakness.

Memes are necessarily exploitative. That's how they latch onto people and keep them under control.

Good points, Quid

I couldn't agree more. The ignorant masses are infinitely exploitable when the very definition of God is constantly changed to fit any opinion. Thus they are willingly oppressed due to their own nature and the nature of those seeking power over them.

Faith starts out as a voluntary association, but power can latch onto it and turn it into ideological glue. Case-in-point: Constantine. There's all kinds of weird little "alternative religions" floating around out there on the margins that never had the chance to oppress anybody, aside from rip-off artists posing as gurus or overzealous parents leaning on their neurotic kids.

I would have to say that blind oppression is a side effect of faith mainly because despite the fact that shit continues to happen around us, some people are so thoroughly convinced that God/Jesus/Heaven will come through that the should just sit and wait for the miracle to come, despite proof otherwise that nothing is going to happen unless they do something about it. In the end, they accept the shit they have been given, not getting out before its too late. This is what holds them down.