Goodbye Jesus

Why Do I Even Bother?

Thegodthatfailed

I was talking on the phone the other day with my fundy brother,and the

conversation turned to health care reform and the so-called "death panels".

Don't want to get too much into politics,but he started going on about how Nazi-Germany

had socialized health care and how they used to murder physically and mentally disabled

persons to cut costs.He said another reason that they did this is because the Nazis

believed in the theory of evolution and how that only the strong have a right to survive.

Also,because some of their leadership were into occult ideas like reincarnation.

This info he got from a book called "Hitler's Cross",which he sent me a couple of months

ago,and I managed to hack my way through.Needless to say it was full of Xian propaganda and

some major inaccuracies. It was written by an Evangelical minister more interested in

preaching to the choir than history.Then my brother goes on to talk about the usual,

"people can have no moral compass apart from God",and that this nation was founded on

Xian principles.We need God's word for guidance in how to set-up our laws,etc.

I really didn't even try to argue much with him,because he doesn't listen,anyway.

The point is, that I told him in no uncertain terms a few months ago that I am no longer

a Xian,but he somehow just chooses to ignore this like nothing has happened and that somehow

I am still magically a Xian. :ugh: I don't even think that I will bother to reiterate the

point to him that I am not now or ever plan again to be a Xian. It really is just useless

and I may as well just let him think what he will about me for the sake of our relationship.

I am tired of banging my head against a wall for no reason, from now on I think that I will

just humor him.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

If I had to guess, I'd say that your brother probably thinks that deep down you still believe but are just in rebellion. As such, he's probably just trying to rekindle your faith to the forefront. It's too bad that many christians just don't have the mental capacity to understand that there are those who really don't believe like them.

If I had to guess, I'd say that your brother probably thinks that deep down you still believe but are just in rebellion. As such, he's probably just trying to rekindle your faith to the forefront. It's too bad that many christians just don't have the mental capacity to understand that there are those who really don't believe like them.

I'm sure he thinks I'm in rebellion, or just "confused",or maybe God disappointed me

somehow.None of which are true. I don't think he has the emotional capacity

to understand I don't believe like him anymore,because he thinks we will be separated

after death.He is an otherwise bright guy,so I am disappointed he has fallen so deeply

into fundamentalism.I just know there is no point in arguing with him anymore,so I

try to be more subtle when issues of faith come up.

The next time you see your brother face to face and if he starts to preach at you, just look him in the eye and say,.."you would make a good pharisee"...then walk away. If he asks you what you mean by that...tell him to "FIGURE IT OUT!".

Or how about, "would you really send me to hell,if you were God?"

Thegodthatfailed,

It sounds like the book you are talking about takes valid points and twists them.

The Nazis were a proponent of eugenics, which does have a basis in evolutionary theory. They did stop the mentally ill and other people they deemed defective from breeding, though it wasn't to cut costs. They wanted to create a superior race through selective breeding. Prior to the end of WWII, a lot nations practiced eugenics. After Holocaust, eugenics fell out of favor. The twisting part is that accepting evolutionary theory will make you want to kill everybody who is not genetically perfect.

Hitler did use some occult and Buddhist symbolism and ideas. The twisting part is that because the Nazi borrowed from them, they are bad. I would recommend the History Channel's "The Occult History of the Third Reich"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Occult_History_of_the_Third_Reich

Not to get into a big argument about it, but there has been a lot of spin about "what Hitler was into".

He had quite specific ideas regarding The Reich as a Christian construct. Many people have tried to overplay the nordic mythology that he used, and all the "occult" stuff. Sure, he had his props. But in the end he had pretty traditional, although eccentric views about God and being a Christian.

Part of writing history is the art of sometimes hiding inconvenient truths.