Goodbye Jesus

"believing In" Versus "accepting" Evolutionary Theory

Non-Redneck

As I was typing a response to another thread, I realizing that I initially typed "believing in evolution". Which after I typed it, I realized that one doesn't "believe" in evolution, one either accepts it or rejects it. The "believe" statement is definitely a product of Christian brainwashing, trying to convince me that evolution is a religion. I can't believe I still typed it. Oh well. At least I caught myself. It shows how bad the Christian brainwashing has gone, to the effect of altering one's speech and subconsciousness.

I hear you Non-Redneck. A while ago someone at work was taking a college class and as part of a class assignment she had to poll people on differing topics. One of the questions she asked was, "Do you believe in evolution?" I initially said, "yes" but then I said, "No, I don't believe in evolution. I don't have to 'believe' in facts."

• Super Moderator

I don't believe in evolution either. I'm convinced by demonstrable facts. It isn't an article of faith.

Tricky, those Christians!

I don't think Christians can wrap their minds around the notion that someone can understand something and accept it as fact without having to believe in it. Belief implies a certain amount of uncertainty, like for example, I believe my friend was innocent of having taking narcotics; I was not around him when he ingest the narcotics (someone slipped a little bit of meth in his drink) but going back to what I know about him, I do not think he is street wise enough to be able to seek out anyone selling narcotics. But if it came to a poll, I would asked the pollster what they meant by belief, then reply; I would rather reply to believing in evolution than to reply no implying that I believe in creationism.

I'd also like to add that a number of Christians can't wrap their head around the fact that there doesn't have to be a creator. The bible teaches that the universe and all that is in it is proof for God. In fact, it goes as far as saying no one will be without excuse, because of creation. After all, just look at all the intelligent design. It must be the result of an intelligent creator. My argument is a simple yet elegant piece of art called sand art. It's a frame which swivels and contains a glass holding several colors of thousnands of grains of sand. When turned upside down, the sand falls aimlessly, yet it produces a seeminlgy beautiful landscape. Nothing except gravity directs the sand.

While it can be argued that the frame and glass holding the sand are products of design, the actual process of sand art is 100% unguided. At best, Christians may be able to argue the existence of an intelligent creator of all matter, but that's as far as it need go. The process of evolution can go unguided.

By the way, how do you explain the absense of God in the context of creation? I mean the universe!

I would say one either understands the evidence, or they don't understand the evidence.