Goodbye Jesus

Anti-Multiculturalism

Neon Genesis

Today in my English class, we were reading on an essay about assimilationism and this turned into a class debate on the evils of multiculturalism. The professor started ranting about how multiculturalism is evil because valuing diversity in cultures somehow leads to people preferring only one culture as superior and assimilationism. The professor said that people should be prod of their heritage and not give it up but I'm thinking, "isn't that multiculturalism?" This somehow turned into a rant about the evils of metrosexuals and how guys are stupid and evil if they wear a pink shirt and this one student said that putting bows on little boys will turn them gay, and we know how evil that would be (sarcasm). The professor also bragged about how he was at a bar and he went up to this total stranger who was this guy wearing a pink shirt and spat in his face simply for the shirt he was wearing. The professor then added the disclaimer that it wasn't the shirt that pissed him off but the mentality because obviously boys are supposed to be masculine and girls are supposed to be feminine and if boys and girls are ever opposite, this is evil.

So, assimilatinoism is evil but metrosexuals are evil for not assimilating into out-dated sexist ideals of what men and women should be? Isn't this the same argument people used to use against why women shouldn't wear pants and why they should be forced to wear dresses and "act like a woman"? Of course, the professor also thinks everything about these days suck and he has this romanticized view of the past that everything in the past was better because people were supposedly more "self-reliant" back then. Of course living in a society where women can vote, slavery is illegal, and America is not a theocracy is so much more horrible than the past and we're obviously in a moral decline. What disappoints me is that this guy is an agnostic but he doesn't sound much different than the usual Christian preaching I hear around here. Can I not find any rational people here in the south? Someone please let me know that the other southern non-believers are more rational?

Today in my English class, we were reading on an essay about assimilationism and this turned into a class debate on the evils of multiculturalism. The professor started ranting about how multiculturalism is evil because valuing diversity in cultures somehow leads to people preferring only one culture as superior and assimilationism.

But doesn't excepting them to toss aside their culture in place of a WASP model in the early 1900's favoring one cultre over another? (There was even a time when spaghetti was considered "disgusting.") We all have to assimilate a bit to make it in this country, but it doesn't hurt to embrace our roots either since America is such a melting pot.) Even the so-called "white culture" that some people think is being "ignored" isn't just WASP-y white bread, but there was a time about 60 years ago certain White ethnicities were considered inferior and not part of that culture. It seems to me they think the American culture began in 1945 (after we helped kick Nazi ass) and ended in 1955 (before all those pesky Civil rights movements started to really make an impact.)

Can I not find any rational people here in the south? Someone please let me know that the other southern non-believers are more rational?

I don't know, you've met one person that wasn't rational, what are the odds that anyone else will be?

Of course, the professor also thinks everything about these days suck and he has this romanticized view of the past that everything in the past was better because people were supposedly more "self-reliant" back then.

When are these dinosaurs going to go away ?

Wear a pink shirt to his next class.

I don't know, you've met one person that wasn't rational, what are the odds that anyone else will be?

I'm just sort of disappointed in a way. I know I shouldn't be having any expectations of what non-believers are like because non-believers just don't believe in God and it says nothing about their rationality. It's just I've never even met any other non-believers offline before this guy and I've been surrounded by fundamentalists my whole life. My sister is a liberal Christian and she's a far more rational thinker. I also seem to remember reading once that blue was originally a girl's color and pink was a boy's color but pink became associated with girl's colors after WWII. I can't remember where I read that but can anyone confirm how accurate that is?

The professor also bragged about how he was at a bar and he went up to this total stranger who was this guy wearing a pink shirt and spat in his face simply for the shirt he was wearing.

With a guy like your professor I would be inclined to wear a pink shirt to his bar just so that I could wind up kicking his ass and getting a good laugh out of it, and I am not gay. He's obviously got some screws loose if he believes that "Men should be Men" and that this is somehow related to what color shirt they wear.

If I where you I would get all my buddies in class to come to class dressed in pink, even the macho guys. Just fuck with his head man; that shit would be epic. Make sure to get it videotaped and then slapped on Youtube. Then maybe you could send him some pink flowers once he gets out of the hospital after he has a fucking heart attack from seeing the video show up on Youtube.

The professor also bragged about how he was at a bar and he went up to this total stranger who was this guy wearing a pink shirt and spat in his face simply for the shirt he was wearing.

With a guy like your professor I would be inclined to wear a pink shirt to his bar just so that I could wind up kicking his ass and getting a good laugh out of it, and I am not gay. He's obviously got some screws loose if he believes that "Men should be Men" and that this is somehow related to what color shirt they wear.

If I where you I would get all my buddies in class to come to class dressed in pink, even the macho guys. Just fuck with his head man; that shit would be epic. Make sure to get it videotaped and then slapped on Youtube. Then maybe you could send him some pink flowers once he gets out of the hospital after he has a fucking heart attack from seeing the video show up on Youtube.

The guy sounds like a typical right-wing,knuckle-dragging asshole.Guess he thinks that all

women should stay pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen,and all immigrants(legal or otherwise)

should go back to where they came from. Also, doesn't he know that when a man wears pink

it's called "salmon". :HaHa:

Also, doesn't he know that when a man wears pink

it's called "salmon". :HaHa:

Or a really light fuschia (sp).

Can I not find any rational people here in the south? Someone please let me know that the other southern non-believers are more rational?

It's rare to find them but they are out there. I understand Neon. I felt lonely in life for a long time because I didn't think I could ever meet a rational person in real life. Then just when I had given up hope of ever meeting a rational non-believer in the South, I met the man who would become my boyfriend.

He was born and raised in Alabama where the state motto is, "At least we're not Mississippi!" He graduated from the University of Alabama, Magna Cum Laude, with a double major in English and Philosophy, not exactly manly majors. He's a huge computer nerd, which is what he does for a living. He loves classical music and composes and plays music on his piano. He will often hear a beautiful piece of music that brings him to tears. Our first date was to the Symphony. He is fluent in Latin, knows a little Greek and considers himself a rational religious skeptic. He has a print of an Etruscan image in his house that depicts the equality of men and women. He also wears pink and is bi-sexual.

All it takes is meeting just one person who is like you, so you don't feel so all alone.

Wear a pink shirt to his next class.

And some manliner.

MightyBoosh2006.jpg

??? Is the guy psychotic? This would constitute assault.

??? Is the guy psychotic? This would constitute assault.

Nope, just a fundy. Oh wait, fundies are psychotic. Never mind.

This is why people like David Bowie and Eddie Izzard are so awesome...they do their act specifically to spite ignorant morons like your professor, and to challenge cultural conceptions. They need to be challenged, as that is the only way to evaluate what works and what does not. If a man wants to wear pink, then great, as it makes us analyze why traditionally he should not...and the reason is...I honestly have no idea...but it's something to think about. Why is gender so important and is it necessary for it to be so.

As far as I'm concerned, if a tradition works I'll use it, if not I'll toss it even if it's thousands of years old.

Assimilation is natural, because cultures mix and become new cultures with each generation. Americans love Irish culture...the drinking, the music, for example, but they used to be as reviled as hispanics are now. Eventually younger generations got used to living with each other, and now there are not really 'irish' districts. Foreign immigrants may always be uncomfortable with the mainstream culture of a new land, but their children thrive in public school and effectively have their own cultural mix.

Protecting culture is only important in terms of historical analysis, not everyday living. I like to learn about English knights because my ancestors were, but that doesn't mean I need to learn horseback riding to protect my heritage.

Maybe in a thousand years there will be very little cultural diversity, but that is simply human nature. If we interact our cultures begin to mesh. Either we embrace each other or we don't, and I'd rather go with cooperation.

The pink-shirt story is a tipoff to me that your professor is a narcissist. He would rather be the "sage on the stage" than the "guide on the side". He would be a more effective educator if he directed his efforts toward facilitating classroom discussion of ideas instead of dominating with his own opinions.

your professor sounds like a very insecure little man. I wouldn't be surprised if he fit this ... although those young males grow up and still react the same ...

Single, Angry, Straight Male... Seeks Same?

A classic study reveals that young homophobic men have secret gay urge

My link

...Ever consider the teacher may be doing that just to see how the class would respond? Be careful in what ever you do...remember, he holds your grade in the palm of his hands. You may wish to wait and get your grades then file a complaint against him when you know you will no longer have him as an instructor.

If he's tenured, student complaints don't do shit unless it involved him dropping his pants and waving his willy around or something.

Now, before anybody badmouths tenure, it is what ensures academic freedom of speech. Some people do go derelict once they get it, but so many others would be muzzled by colleagues and administrators without it. I'm looking forward to it, and not just because of the job security; I will be able to let my asshole flag fly.

your professor sounds like a very insecure little man. I wouldn't be surprised if he fit this ... although those young males grow up and still react the same ...

Single, Angry, Straight Male... Seeks Same?

A classic study reveals that young homophobic men have secret gay urge

My link

I don't think he's so much a homophobe as much as he's one of those people who hates posers and has this weird belief that all metrosexuals are posers and all guys who wear pink shirts are somehow metrosexual and posers too.