Goodbye Jesus

Nanowrimo

shirono

I enjoy writing, might be better to say that writing has helped me survive the past few years. Being as introverted as I am I have had few friends to discuss my problems with and my characters became a way to get my issues out and away from myself. It's so much easier to deal with a problem when it isn't really your problem anymore.

Anyway, I pretty much write Fantasy and Sci-fi. I've been known to write good essays and the occasional piece of real life fiction. I finally have the time to participate in NaNoWriMo this year and about February I started planning and outlining my fantasy novel for this year. Unfortunately my muse has decided suddenly that fantasy is not the way to go this year and now I'm working on an outline for a young adult fiction novel.

My main character is a college student who is struggling with her homosexuality and her upbringing in a christian household. She wants to be happy, but she also wants to make her parents happy, but she knows she can't do both. She falls in love at college and has to decide whether the plans she had made for her life are more important or if she can compromise her plans for the future for the woman she loves.

The story has so many autobiographic elements that it's sure to be cathartic to write it. Maybe it will even give me some help trying to decide what to do with my own relationship.

Anyone else participating in this event this year? If so what sort of ideas are you working on for your novel?

I singed up last year, but didn't get anywhere. I just have no frigging time. This time of year is nastily busy for me. Half my family have their birthdays in November, December.

What was the size on it again?

It's 50k, which works out to roughly 1700 words a day. I can write 1700 words in a short story in a matter of 2-3 hours. Of course I will not be editing at all...

So even with classes I think I should be okay. I just need to finish my outline for the story before November. If I don't outline the story will meander away into nothingness.

This will be My fifth year doing NaNoWriMo. This year's story, The Department of Stuff, is a humour/mystery piece dealing with three women and a particularly ornery computer system.

I'm reusing several characters from previous stories, and have a rough mental outline of the plot -- Which means that I'm already two weeks ahead of My usual NaNo starting point. (I usually just wing it with a title and a vague idea of what the story's about)