Goodbye Jesus

Animals Feel The Pain Of Religious Slaughter

Mriana

Fair enough. When you said you wouldn't eat it because it is meat I thought you were taking a moral stand on the issue.

It is meat, but what does it matter if it is a moral stand or not? However, it isn't a moral stand, but if it were, so what.

Because if it is a moral position it doesn't make sense to not eat non sentient creatures (unless you are doing it for environmental reasons as Marty suggests). If it is not sentient it can't suffer, ala, it's no different than a plant.

Whatever the case, in comparison to veggies, seafood smells and tastes nasty. I'm not sure how people can stand it, esp when there is more chance of getting sick from it due to such a short "self-life" (it spoils quickly). People eat it anyway, no matter how nasty it may smell and taste.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mriana

• Vigile

• OpheliaGinger

• RankStranger

I guess I have environmental sympathies but I just don't see the efforts of a few with sympathies having any effect and it seems rather futile to hope that the masses and the corporations that basically run things are going to change.

I was thinking about this line while in the store today, and although I agree with you in some aspects, to me it seems like a cop out. Of course a few people can not really make a difference, but if you are refraining from doing something only because you don't think you would make a difference, then of course you won't. But if everybody said "you know, meat production is wrong for X reasons" and became vegetarian, or at least seriously cut down on meat consumption, it would make a difference.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not eschewing meat products in order to make a difference, but only because I feel it is the right way to live. The same reason I donated my car and bike everywhere. I make a difference in my life and in my waste products, and that is enough...I don't concern myself with everybody else.

Just as Gandhi said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world".

There is a subsect of vegetarian that can eat fish (pescatarians).

Guest ephymeris

I've wanted to try vegetarianism because I don't like the mass meat production industry (vile, unclean, inhumane) and the idea of all those resources and land being wasted to grow animals to eat is very unsettling to me. Even now I very rarely eat red meat (lamb maybe once a year) and I could easily give up poultry but I don't think I could give up fish and other seafood. I would feel like a hypocrite to allow myself to eat seafood and think of myself as a vegetarian. Even if fish aren't sentient, I can not deny that they feel pain. I have fished too as a kid and "accidentally" caught a fish with a 4 prong hook. It was very traumatic getting that fish off that hook (for the fish and myself) so I could release it. I'm still bouncing the idea around. My husband isn't very supportive of vegetarianism and I'd have to start cooking very differently for the both of us...I know it's lazyness but maybe I'll keep trying to phase out meat. I already phased out red meat in our household.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not eschewing meat products in order to make a difference, but only because I feel it is the right way to live. The same reason I donated my car and bike everywhere. I make a difference in my life and in my waste products, and that is enough...I don't concern myself with everybody else.

Just as Gandhi said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world".

That's how I feel about it too. It is a way of life for me and any reasons beyond that are personal and do not involve anyone else... except when they come to my home for dinner, because in all honesty, I don't know how to cook meat and I have no desire to learn. Now this doesn't mean they can't bring some sort of potluck dish for themselves. They are welcome to bring anything they want that makes them happy OR I can get a pre-cooked item in which I just heat and serve to them. Of course, I am always willing to share the dishes I cook and I have not had any complaints from carnivores yet... except my cats of course.

Whatever the case, in comparison to veggies, seafood smells and tastes nasty. I'm not sure how people can stand it, esp when there is more chance of getting sick from it due to such a short "self-life" (it spoils quickly). People eat it anyway, no matter how nasty it may smell and taste.

Well, I guess that's pretty subjective. I see nothing wrong with the smell or taste of an Argentinian Rib-eye with a side of buttered prawns. In fact we evolved eating this stuff so most people on the planet find meat pretty tasty. I have no problems with those who don't.

I was thinking about this line while in the store today, and although I agree with you in some aspects, to me it seems like a cop out. Of course a few people can not really make a difference, but if you are refraining from doing something only because you don't think you would make a difference, then of course you won't. But if everybody said "you know, meat production is wrong for X reasons" and became vegetarian, or at least seriously cut down on meat consumption, it would make a difference.

Yeah, that's a common refrain and one I used to believe. I can't anymore. It makes mathematical and logical sense but if you pay attention to human behavior past and present it is pretty clear that people just don't get together and change. Honestly it makes my heart ache when I watch some of the environmental documentaries out there and as I study what we have done just to the US alone. In the US there are actually a lot of people who care and quite a lot of regulation and yet massive environmental damage is done irregardless. But then you have places like China and Russia where huge amounts of environmental damage is being done completely unobstructed and literally no one gives a shit.

I can only conclude that we are destined to destroy the planet or that we will find better technologies before we do. Meanwhile, I don't plan on being an asshole leaving a big footprint wherever I go, but I am going to try and enjoy my life I have as much as I can and worry as little as I can as well. I haven't had a car for 5 years and I eat pretty much organically grown food, which is what is available here in Russia where they don't have mass production pig farms and such yet so I don't think I'm part of the problem even if I'm not part of the solution.

I get that. It's not the direction I want to go but I think if this makes you happier then you should be doing it. I personally, given my religious background, now shudder a bit at self imposed rules but I think that's just an emotional response and doesn't mean I'm right.

Well, I guess that's pretty subjective. I see nothing wrong with the smell or taste of an Argentinian Rib-eye with a side of buttered prawns. In fact we evolved eating this stuff so most people on the planet find meat pretty tasty. I have no problems with those who don't.

I have often wonder if those who have a disliking for meat, not on the grounds of personal morals, but rather just turned off by it, are more evolved than those who still eat meat. I realize that meat eaters may object to this thought, but it is something to be curious about, IMO.

I have often wonder if those who have a disliking for meat, not on the grounds of personal morals, but rather just turned off by it, are more evolved than those who still eat meat. I realize that meat eaters may object to this thought, but it is something to be curious about, IMO.

I think vegetarianism is an inevitable thing if humans survive; meat production is unsustainable with 7 billion+ people in the world. It is almost unsustainable now. If we are to survive, we will have to seriously reduce our meat and seafood consumption; at least until they do invent replicators.

You omnivores out there may find this hard to believe, but I don't miss meat at all; not one bit. I've been off meat for 5 years now, and haven't looked back. I know it seems like an impossible goal, but it really is not.

:lmao: Are horses more evolved than tigers? Evolution doesn't make subjective choices.

:lmao: Are horses more evolved than tigers? Evolution doesn't make subjective choices.

There is this animal rights commercial that dorkily decrys "thousands of horses are slaughtered for their meat!" as if a horse is somehow special when compared to a cow or a pig. I always have to laugh at the idiocay of American culture that some rates that barnyard animal as unfit for human consumption.

Killing animals is bad. Killing plants is okay. Case closed.

Plants have DNA too! The only acceptable food is synthetic.

Although synthetic food is probably bad for the environment. I'm sure the plastic I defecate will last 1,000 years.

Plants have DNA too! The only acceptable food is synthetic.

Synthetic food for a synthetic life.

Good for you. Good for the environment.

Long live Obama.