Goodbye Jesus

The Craziest Things About Religions

Guest huski

People are always trying to "convert" you to belive in there belives, some of these people will even come right to your door! I want to know some of the craziest things you know about religion. I love argueing with religious types and i would love to have more things to bring to there attention!

Thanks in advance, also i will post some of my favorite later.

I don't have anything in the sense of "crazy-zany" to contribute as in observations made by Monty Python's Flying Circus, Lewis Black, George Carlin and the like.

But I would say the craziest thing about religions are their absolute willingness to suppress, repress, oppress and deny the humanity of individuals just to maintain their belief system.

The "Not a true christian" assertion is one example. Because believers can't handle the idea that a believer could rationally and soberly come to the conclusion that God does not exists, they invent the notion "you were never a true Christian to begin with."

"Yes, I was. I was very sincere. I was committed, consistent and faithful."

"Well, you couldn't have been, or you wouldn't reject the faith."

That's just one example, possibly not the best.

The craziest thing about religion is people believe it! :grin: Zany.

Nah, I think one of the craziest things about religions in general is their requirement for people to submit to things without question. (I.e. Submit to god, submit to pope, submit to holy book, etc)

One bible, one gawd, yet over 10,000 branches of xianity, each proclaiming the TRUTHTM.

Guest Net Eng

My favorite are the young earth crowd Link

Despite all the evidence to the contrary they insist this planet is 10,000 years old or less. That takes some serious denial.

Guest anon hiding from lynchers

I'll tell you something my preacher father-in-law said last week that ticked me off. Keep in mind that he used to abuse his wife and my husband.

"My friend Bob and his wife came to work yesterday to collect his paycheck. He just got married. His wife disobeyed him and went to her parents' house. Now, we know the Bible says that wives must submit to their husbands, and although the modern woman thinks she can do her own thing, Praise the Lord, he went and got her, bent her over his knee, and spanked her!"

Needless to say, my husband and I were utterly disgusted. The crazy thing about religion? It makes people think that adults hitting each other is normal?

Anyway, to finish the story, we were getting in the car together to go to the mall. My husband and I were a little behind. When he got in the car, he acted really sad and hurt. "He wasn't moving fast enough," I explained, "So I had to spank him."

"You think I'm kidding," dear old dad growled, "but I'm not!"

I'd say probably the backwards morality that many fundamentalists have and that they actually believe in talking snakes and donkeys and want us to teach it as actual science.

I think all this insanity springs from having a "holy book" with a "special revelation" by God. If you accept that idea, you are already halfway to nutsville.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think it is the propensity of "Christians" to lie. They lie and lie to each other constantly and never think anything of it.

They say they'll pray for you, and don't. They say they tithe 10% and don't (I was a Baptist preacher's kid).

They'll condemn gossip in one breath and spew it out the next. They'll claim god told them stuff that god obviously didn't or (wouldn't if he did exist) They'll send spam emails to each other constantly that declares miracles, yet would never retract when shown the spam letters to be hoaxed (here at work). They claim god's love in their heart but the simplest observation shows them to be controlling and hateful. They claim god's guidance yet their god can't even guide them to get along with themselves, let along anyone with differing opinions.

Once when I was a teenager, during a business meeting I sneaked out of the Southern Baptist Library and started perusing their annuals of each Triennial conference(It was either Tennessee Baptist convention or the Southern Baptist convention, I don't remember). In the preface of each annual, they claim that they are men of god that have been lead by the holy spirit to make these statements of faith. I've forgotten the exact years, but I think it was in the mid 1950's that they reaffirmed that the black man was not a candidate for witnessing because of his lack of soul but then reversed themselves in the 1970's. I'm sure the annuals conflicted on other points throughout the years as well, but the point is all of the leaders that stood all together for the cover photo were either blasphemers in 1950 or blasphemers in 1970 (or both) The funny thing is that a very good proportion of them in the 1950's photo were also in the 1970's photo. So they were lying claiming god changed his mind, or god lied to them, or something like that..

By the way, after almost forty years my memory is vague about exact claims and years in the annuals. if anybody still has any access to either set after all of these years, I'd LOVE to be able to find those again to reference!

DAMIT!!! :vent: That's exactly what I was going to post! EXACTLY the same.

DAMIT!!! :vent: That's exactly what I was going to post! EXACTLY the same.

Double ditto.

Damned thunder thieves.

Anyway, if you want to perplex True Believers, ask the following:

If gawd is omniscient, he must have known that Man would "sin"; that "sin" would corrupt all Mankind; and that said corruption would condemn billions of "souls" to eternal torment in hell.

So, knowing all this beforehand, he created Man anyway because he wanted someone to tell him how cool he is (i.e. worship him).

Isn't that extremely cruel and selfish of a "loving" gawd?

and...

The babble says gawd is love. It also says love is not jealous. It also says gawd is a jealous gawd. Therefore, how can gawd be jealous and still be gawd when his own "word" says he is love yet love is not jealous?

I'll tell you something my preacher father-in-law said last week that ticked me off. Keep in mind that he used to abuse his wife and my husband.

"My friend Bob and his wife came to work yesterday to collect his paycheck. He just got married. His wife disobeyed him and went to her parents' house. Now, we know the Bible says that wives must submit to their husbands, and although the modern woman thinks she can do her own thing, Praise the Lord, he went and got her, bent her over his knee, and spanked her!"

Needless to say, my husband and I were utterly disgusted. The crazy thing about religion? It makes people think that adults hitting each other is normal?

Anyway, to finish the story, we were getting in the car together to go to the mall. My husband and I were a little behind. When he got in the car, he acted really sad and hurt. "He wasn't moving fast enough," I explained, "So I had to spank him."

"You think I'm kidding," dear old dad growled, "but I'm not!"

Another thing that could be appended to that is that women are constantly taught that they are inferior, and are nothing without a man. My parents taught me otherwise; if some guy starts hitting me because he believes he is better than me, I will get all chola up on his ass and start cuttin' dat bitch because that is how my parents taught me how to assert myself in said situations (well, maybe not the whole pulling out a knife and mutilating someone part).

I like how the hypocrites have rewritten their scriptures to exclude the mythological beasts first written in it, such as cockatrices, fauns, and satyrs, and unicorns. They also gloss over text that nullifies church doctrine.

I was thinking about all the homosexuality hate. When I won't let my kids walk down the street alone, do I say kids, be careful of the homosexuals, don't talk to homosexuals. When I'm driving late at night on a dark road, hoping my car doesn't breakdown, am I afraid of being approached by homosexuals? Here in Mass. the church was in a tizzy when homosexuals were given the right to marry. The worry was about family values falling apart. Well, the divorce rate amoung bornagains is about the same as the "world". Doesn't that effect family values more so than homosexuals getting married?

]The babble says gawd is love. It also says love is not jealous. It also says gawd is a jealous gawd. Therefore, how can gawd be jealous and still be gawd when his own "word" says he is love yet love is not jealous?

But that's ok for the Lard to do because it was godly jealously!

• Super Moderator

... The worry was about family values falling apart. Well, the divorce rate amoung bornagains is about the same as the "world". Doesn't that effect family values more so than homosexuals getting married?

Well there you go, thinking sensibly .... like a True ExChristian TM woohoo.gif