Goodbye Jesus

Is America Faking Religosity ?

Guest Net Eng

Guest Net Eng

Is America Faking Religiosity ??

America seems to not be the solid bastion of Christianity that manyclaim it is or wish it were. In large numbers, Americans from all walksof life shun church and reduce their Bibles to the status of objects ofdecoration, while they maintain, perhaps in a bout of wishful thinking,that God, churches and religion rule their lives. People who believeJoan of Arc to have been Noah’s wife, as one in 10 Americans do, cannot be said to have even a fleeting interest in their scripture.Americans are indeed religious; just how religious is a question thatstill needs investigating. In private, religious apathy piles thickbehind the screen of public piety, and the famously robust Americanreligiosity–taken for granted by many–seems to become a delusion ofbiblical proportions.

Moderators: Please move if you think this is the wrong forum.

I find the bolded sentence heartening. Now, if only the casual christians would take the next step and tell the loud mouths to STFU that would be a great day indeed!

Those folks are called COINs: christian only in name. My wife is one. Claims xianity and gets rightously offended at "sacrilegious talk" but hasn't seen the inside of a bible or a church in eons.

1 in 10 Americans believe Joan of Arc is Noah of the Bible's wife? That has got to be a joke. That's 10% of 300 million Americans, which means 30 millions Americans believe Joan of Arc is Noah of the Bible's wife? No way. I know Christians can be pretty stupid, but this is a bit much for me to believe.

I'm confused by the survey. Is it fundamentalists who have the least amount of knowledge about the bible or CINOs?

Guest Net Eng

I'm confused by the survey. Is it fundamentalists who have the least amount of knowledge about the bible or CINOs?

Not so. According to polls, a mere half of Americans are able toname a single Gospel, and a majority are unfamiliar with the fact thatGenesis is the first book of the Bible. Thomas, according to 22 percentof Americans, wrote one of the books, and Sodom and Gomorrah weremarried, if we are to listen to half of American high school seniors.

While a majority of Americans maintain that they use the tenbiblical commandments as a life guide, 60 percent are unable to namemore than four. Among adult and teen believers, “God helps those whohelp themselves” is the most widely-known verse in the Bible; only 38percent of respondents correctly said that this was not a Biblequotation, while 42 percent thought it was, and 20 percent did nothazard a guess.

Sixteen percent of American Christians believe that the Bibleteaches that Jesus Christ was born in Jerusalem, 8 percent in Nazareth,6 percent abstained from responding, while the rest got it right.Twelve percent also attribute to Jesus the writing of a book of theBible.

It varies by the stat. I put the above article snippet in isolation for clarity.

Americans overwhelmingly name the Bible as their favorite book.

Hmm, like their favorite book to not read? :HaHa:

Neither would surprise me.

Hmm, like their favorite book to not read? :HaHa:

Even when I was a Christian, I always felt awkward to say that the bible was my "favorite" book. To me, the bible was something more than just something that was your favorite or not. I mean, most people find The Diary Of Anne Frank to be inspiring and thought provoking, but most people wouldn't go around calling something like that their "favorite" book and the bible was like that for me.

Hmm, like their favorite book to not read? GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

The story line is hard to follow, the plot is plodding, and it ends like a Quentin Tarantino movie. A 4 at best.

Spoiler: gawd wins in the end.

Joan of Arc

St. Joan of Arc....Wow. I am already getting aroused. Maybe I need to re-read Mark Twain's book. God.... That was one sexy Lady.

This is like baseball and apple pie. It's part of the national identity.

Baseball sucks 99% of the time and really only a minority of people are truly fans of the sport but if you try to best us (or the U.S.) at it then you'll see everyone suddenly rally around and start waving their dicks around (even some of the chicks will strap-on to join in).

Is baseball too mainstream? Then how about hot dog eating? I saw on TV awhile back that people seem shamed that some little Japanese guy can out gorge all us fat American fucks. How dare those little raw fish eaters beat us at munching down our own junk food? It's enough to get us waving our dicks around for something we don't give a shit about.

So if someone comes along and attacks OUR religion? Well...<zip> *wave*

mwc

Then how about hot dog eating? I saw on TV awhile back that people seem shamed that some little Japanese guy can out gorge all us fat American fucks. How dare those little raw fish eaters beat us at munching down our own junk food? It's enough to get us waving our dicks around for something we don't give a shit about.

Haha. Yeah, I never quite got the food eating contests. I think they even call it a sport, but how the hell is it a sport? It's just stupid nonsense to me, on about the same level as religious nonsense.