Goodbye Jesus

I Want To Speak In Tongues

mcpng

I occasionally speak in tongues when i am really tired or suddenly awoken from a deep sleep, but it's not a religious thing. I am a linguist and sometimes it's just that the wrong language comes out when i'm not completely with it. Although that's not what most Xtians would call "speaking in tongues," some experts believe that when Paul (or someone writing in his name) spoke about the phenomenon he was actually talking about people speaking in foreign languages.

In that case, gaining the ability to "speak in tongues" could be as easy as attending a class at your local community college to learn Spanish (or Swedish if you prefer). On the other hand, it's much more fun to just say "presto obligato tygoo devra" nothing's gonna change my world.

I occasionally speak in tongues when i am really tired or suddenly awoken from a deep sleep, but it's not a religious thing. I am a linguist and sometimes it's just that the wrong language comes out when i'm not completely with it. Although that's not what most Xtians would call "speaking in tongues," some experts believe that when Paul (or someone writing in his name) spoke about the phenomenon he was actually talking about people speaking in foreign languages.

That's what I believed when I was a Christian. I believed that when the apostles were speaking in tongues, they were speaking in foreign languages they had never learned before and eveeryone who was listening to the apostles could hear them in their own tongue.

That's what I believed when I was a Christian. I believed that when the apostles were speaking in tongues, they were speaking in foreign languages they had never learned before and eveeryone who was listening to the apostles could hear them in their own tongue.

Y'know, it hadn't even occured to me that anyone'd interpret that story any other way up 'til just now, but I was maybe ten or so last time I heard that particular story.

Y'know, it hadn't even occured to me that anyone'd interpret that story any other way up 'til just now, but I was maybe ten or so last time I heard that particular story.

That's the way the CoC teaches it. They were not speaking a language that only God could understand, but foreign languages that people from all walks of life could understand them.

That's the way the CoC teaches it. They were not speaking a language that only God could understand, but foreign languages that people from all walks of life could understand them.

That's the way the Baptist church taught it, too.

I had a friend who was apostolic. My best friend was dating her and went to her church for about a year. He never could speak in tongues, which caused some problems with their relationship (she took it as a sign that the holy spirit couldn't enter him which meant he wasn't taking it seriously enough or trying hard enough). They tried to get me to go a couple times, thankfully I didn't. I don't know how welcome I would have been if I had shown up wearing a Slayer T-shirt and busted out laughing at the site of people rolling on the floor convulsing and speaking baby talk. Personally I believe they're making themself speak in tongues, the pressure is on them to do it, everyone around them is doing it. I am sure they set the mood psychologically with music and incense and such. So naturally they think they're feeling the "holy spirit" when in reality it's just peer pressure, family pressure, nervousness, and of course the desire to conform and be like everyone else around them.

Personally I believe they're making themself speak in tongues, the pressure is on them to do it, everyone around them is doing it. I am sure they set the mood psychologically with music and incense and such. So naturally they think they're feeling the "holy spirit" when in reality it's just peer pressure, family pressure, nervousness, and of course the desire to conform and be like everyone else around them.

This is the sort of stuff that triggers self-hypnosis. These Christians do tap into a true good-feeling tapped into by many religions who speak in funny babble and fall over and roll around. Apparently it is a very good feeling, like a spiritual orgasm. Like hypnosis, some people are more prone to it than others. Also, the more a person wants and trusts a particular hypnosis and its "fruits", the more likely you will go under. It's no wonder the charismatics want in on this. Because of Bible innerrancy, they justify it through Acts so they can have a piece of that spiritual (and universal) experience.

Phanta

That's a good point and I agree: it does produce a trance, as indeed pretty much all deep/fulfilling religious experience does. /me chants "Nom Nom, Nom Nom, Nom Nom" and takes a bite out of his fruit roll up!!

:HaHa:

does anyone know how I can pick up glossolalia or "speaking in tongues"? I'm not a christian.

Well, if after trying the instructions people have given you here, you have trouble doing it yourself, you can now get the T-shirt for $45:

http://www.holyghosttees.com/ :god: