Goodbye Jesus

Former Methodist/wiccan

BoneyardDiva

Hello all,

I was baptized & raised in the methodist church & went about my life not worrying about religion. My father took my brother & me to church every Sunday & that was that. However, when I hit my teens, I started wondering why xtianity seemed so much like the Greek & Norse mythology I had read. I visited other types of churches & went to a synagogue for Yom Kippur when in college. However, nothing made sense. I even followed wicca for about 7 yrs. I enjoyed the hands-on approach of wiccan rituals, but was never fully spiritually invested in it. In fact, I have never felt any connection to a deity or higher being. Anything that was supposed to be there was forced.

About 8 yrs ago, while in the midst of a wiccan ritual, I realized that none of it was real. Not the gods, not the majick, nothing. In fact, I realized that I was trying to fill a hole (with religion) when there really was no hole. I didn't need religion, I didn't need to believe in something that couldn't be proven. It was then that I started reading about atheism & began learning that anything that religious people believed had never been proven & I didn't have to believe in what most likely didn't exist.

I have actually gone beyond the idea that deities most likely don't exist & I'm sure that there's nothing out there. I fully embrace the term "atheist" as a valid description of my "system of doubt." In fact, my husband is xtian & we have really good conversations about religion & what faith means to him. It's interesting because he's really unassuming about my beliefs & has never tried to convert me. (I know, amazing, huh?)

So here I am, 8 yrs later, a happy atheist & not worried about my life ending. I feel that when life ends, all of our consciousness stops & that's it. I have no need for an afterlife or belief in something that doesn't exist. Feel free to respond!!

BYD

Hello all,

I was baptized & raised in the methodist church & went about my life not worrying about religion. My father took my brother & me to church every Sunday & that was that. However, when I hit my teens, I started wondering why xtianity seemed so much like the Greek & Norse mythology I had read. I visited other types of churches & went to a synagogue for Yom Kippur when in college. However, nothing made sense. I even followed wicca for about 7 yrs. I enjoyed the hands-on approach of wiccan rituals, but was never fully spiritually invested in it. In fact, I have never felt any connection to a deity or higher being. Anything that was supposed to be there was forced.

About 8 yrs ago, while in the midst of a wiccan ritual, I realized that none of it was real. Not the gods, not the majick, nothing. In fact, I realized that I was trying to fill a hole (with religion) when there really was no hole. I didn't need religion, I didn't need to believe in something that couldn't be proven. It was then that I started reading about atheism & began learning that anything that religious people believed had never been proven & I didn't have to believe in what most likely didn't exist.

I have actually gone beyond the idea that deities most likely don't exist & I'm sure that there's nothing out there. I fully embrace the term "atheist" as a valid description of my "system of doubt." In fact, my husband is xtian & we have really good conversations about religion & what faith means to him. It's interesting because he's really unassuming about my beliefs & has never tried to convert me. (I know, amazing, huh?)

So here I am, 8 yrs later, a happy atheist & not worried about my life ending. I feel that when life ends, all of our consciousness stops & that's it. I have no need for an afterlife or belief in something that doesn't exist. Feel free to respond!!

BYD

Hello :).

Sounds like we have a bit in common. I was brought up a Methodist too though I was a pentecostal at the end. I deconverted and then became a Pagan Druid for 3 years before realising I didn't believe in anything that made it appropriate for me to follow that path. I then became an atheist.

My husband is also a Christian, he took it badly at first but is pretty used to it now thankfully.

hello and welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing your story! It's great that you and your spouse can get along so well, for some it doesn't go so smoothly.

Hello :).

Sounds like we have a bit in common. I was brought up a Methodist too though I was a pentecostal at the end. I deconverted and then became a Pagan Druid for 3 years before realising I didn't believe in anything that made it appropriate for me to follow that path. I then became an atheist.

My husband is also a Christian, he took it badly at first but is pretty used to it now thankfully.

My husband knew I was not a xtian when we met. I think he's confused about my atheism, but he's usually good natured about it. Sometimes it's lonely when your spouse doesn't understand your views, but that's why I'm here. Thanks for the welcome, HRD & Auto!

BYD

Yeah, it's all a bunch of baloney, but the wiccan stuff is at least interesting.

I'm a strict materialist, so proof is a given for me to believe in anything. Many non-christians are not so inclined.

My only opposition to religion is when it tries to control my life - either personally or via government.

BYD welcome.

I am always pleased to see another Tarheel join our ranks. I look forward to seeing more of your posts. And I am also glad your husband seems to be an understanding guy.

Again, welcome.

I still kind of think it sucks that there is probably no afterlife. Oblivion sounds really shitty to me. Even if I'm just loafing around in purgatory for all eternity, as long as I have an unending supply of good books, good beer, and hopefully some sex to go with it now and then, I'd be juuuuuust fine.

It does indeed suck that we are given such ability to appreciate life but can not do so indefinitely, yet, that seems to be the truth of our existence whether we like it or not. I do think that embracing this truth can lead to making better use of the time we do have though. I'm all for good books, good beer, and good sex for everyone while they are here.

All the evidence suggests that this is it; there's nothing after this. That's not to say it must be so, but the utility of the afterlife has every indication that it is merely psychological; in fact there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest it is just that and probably only that. Welcome to the forums and I feel free to make yourself at home.

Yeah, it's all a bunch of baloney, but the wiccan stuff is at least interesting. I'm a strict materialist, so proof is a given for me to believe in anything. Many non-christians are not so inclined. My only opposition to religion is when it tries to control my life - either personally or via government.

I am generally only offended when religion is being forced on me or others. Yes, wicca is at least "hands-on," which I liked about it. The possibilities of ones own reality within wicca was nice too. There weren't too many boundaries.

BYD welcome.

I am always pleased to see another Tarheel join our ranks. I look forward to seeing more of your posts. And I am also glad your husband seems to be an understanding guy. Again, welcome.

Hiya Legion. Yes, NC born & bred, but I don't have more than a hint of the accent. I'm also in one of the bigger cities (lots of colleges here) & it's one of the more liberal, urban cities. That allows for more free-thinking & an atheist group meetup in town. :woohoo:

I still kind of think it sucks that there is probably no afterlife. Oblivion sounds really shitty to me.

I'm okay with losing all consciousness forever. I will hate losing contact with certain pppl after their death, but nothing will bother me when I'm dead.

It does indeed suck that we are given such ability to appreciate life but can not do so indefinitely, yet, that seems to be the truth of our existence whether we like it or not. I do think that embracing this truth can lead to making better use of the time we do have though. I'm all for good books, good beer, and good sex for everyone while they are here.

Yes Shallow, there's nothing suggesting we live beyond this life, which makes every day here more important & precious.

All the evidence suggests that this is it; there's nothing after this. That's not to say it must be so, but the utility of the afterlife has every indication that it is merely psychological; in fact there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest it is just that and probably only that. Welcome to the forums and I feel free to make yourself at home.

Quid...you got that right. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes to the site! :lmao:

See you in the forums!

BYD

"I'm okay with losing all consciousness forever. I will hate losing contact with certain pppl after their death, but nothing will bother me when I'm dead."

Very well put. We may feel uneasy about the finality of death while we are alive, but it won't be a problem after we're dead.

Welcome to the site. Once you dispense with one set of idiot beliefs it gets a lot easier to dump the lot of them as false.

Welcome to the site. Once you dispense with one set of idiot beliefs it gets a lot easier to dump the lot of them as false.

I love your accent! British?

You're right... once I realized that deities didn't exist, the entire religious house of cards just fell away. I feel so much freer!

BYD

Guest I Love Dog

You're right... once I realized that deities didn't exist, the entire religious house of cards just fell away. I feel so much freer!

BYD

British is best, old boy/girl!

Brits are much "freer" than our USA cousins. My thoughts go out to the brainwashed of the USA. It's always been a concern among Brits/Ausssies/Kiwis that our long departed cousins in the USA are SO indoctrinated! We can never understand why the USA is so religious and Christian to boot. We would love them completely if they would only drop religion!

Love to all non-believers. Commiserations and a hopeful future for all those who still believe.

BYD

No, not a Brit though I did live there a few years. I picked up some of the speech patterns. I find myself using it from time to time.

At least wiccanism is interesting. I can understand why people practice it even if they don't really believe in it. The fact that it's taboo would certainly have given me quite the rush of energy when I was first starting to de-convert in my teenage years.