Goodbye Jesus

Christian Music

dB-Paradox

Does anybody remember Prayer Chain? They were on the "alt rock" bandwagon in the early mid 90s but they were actually quite good.

Yeap. I remember the Prayer Chain. One of my favorite Christians bands was Mortal. Their lyrics were kinda vague. You could interpret them as having a Christian meaning or not. So they might still be tolerable as I liked their music.

Yeah, Brave Saint Saturn were pretty great too. I really enjoyed their stuff. And yeah, I remember the Prayer Chain, and Mortal... wasn't one of the guys in Mortal in Fold Zandura as well?

Anyone out there listen to Roadside Monument or Damien Jurado? Roadside were emo before emo became cool (and became lame).

Madison Greene had some really great folky-ethnic stuff... I'm really sad that the lyrics are so over-the-top jesus-y because their music was great, but I can't listen to it without getting angry.

That was a great epsiode of South Park.

I kept the CD's of a couple of Christian artists; one is Mark Heard, who some mainstream artists thought deserved to be considered in the same echelon as Sting or Paul Simon. The other is Michael Knott and his various bands, chiefly LSU. He wrote songs about shooting pool in bars, smoking cigarettes, getting drunk, going to jail, writing bad checks, and got them on CD's that sold in Christian bookstores - AND they were all apparently autobiographical. Both of these guys wrote subjectively and didn't do the cheeseball thing that Cartman cashed in on, which is why I still like them and relate to them.

Also kept all of my Saviour Machine...

You mean she fell away and became a "bad girl"? What the hell happened!? I bet the Christians flipped the fuck out.

From what I understand, her parents are evangelical Christians and are supportive of her career in spite of some rumors about them disowning her or whatever. The only Christian band I've really liked were Switchfoot. Even when I was a Christian, I never cared for much Christian music as I thought most of it was too cheesy and ripped off secular bands that were better. I liked Switchfoot though because they never actually sang about Jesus and God and most of their songs had both a secular and spiritual meaning and their last album was strictly secular. I like some of Relient K's songs but some of their recent cds have felt too repeative to me. Like some of their recent albums all have the same sound to me. Speaking of Switchfoot, I think they have a new album coming out either this month or next month and I'm actually looking forward to it.

Anyone out there listen to Roadside Monument or Damien Jurado? Roadside were emo before emo became cool (and became lame).

Emo has been around since about 1985. It came out of the Washington D.C. hardcore scene around the time that Minor Threat called it quits. The shit from back then was incredibly raw; today's emo kids wouldn't recognize it at all.

Fold Zandura (which did include people from Mortal) was great. It was like My Bloody Valentine but polished and cleaned up with catchier melodies. I really like that late 80s early 90s shoegazer music.

Well if you're into metal, slayer has always had some awesome songs and lyrics. One in particular is Behind the Crooked Cross. Sounds like it's written from the persepctive of someone fighting in the crusades or some sort of holy war who starts to doubt their faith and the cause they fight for, but it can apply to modern times or any person who at some point has doubted what they believed in and if what they're doing is the right thing to do. The third stanza is my favorite.

Time melts away in this living inferno

Trapped by a cause that I once understood

Feeling a sickness building inside of me

Who will I really have to answer to

March on through the rivers of red

Souls drift, they fill the air

Forced to fight behind

The crooked cross

Do only what is expected of me

With no emotions my feelings suppressed

Blind obedience carries me through it all

Conscience a word I learned to forget

Flesh burns, it fills the air

Forced to fight behind

The crooked cross

Time melts away in this living inferno

Trapped by a cause that I once understood

Blind obedience carries me through it all

Do only what is expected of me

Souls drift, they fill the air

Forced to fight behind

The crooked cross

Ok the above post was intended to go into a different thread. How the hell did I end up in this one?

I also really liked Rich Mullins' style of hammered dulcimer playing. Do any of you know of any nonreligious music that is comparable?

I still listen to Clay Aiken as he doesn't sing overtly about Christianity except in his xmas album, but I still listen to his xmas album as he hits the high notes so well. Also when he came out of the closet I actually liked him more as he was being truthful about his sexual orientation rather than trying to hide in the closet because of the fears other Christians would hate him.

I still listen to a few xtian songs. There's one I like by Van Morrison called "Full Force Gale" & it's religious, but it's a really fun song. Otherwise, I prefer songs that aren't religious, but hey, whatever. :shrug:

I can't stand Christmas music. The radio stations in my area play them non stop starting at the beginning of November, and then they are played excessively in the stores.

I can't stand Christmas music. The radio stations in my area play them non stop starting at the beginning of November, and then they are played excessively in the stores.

Maybe that's because they don't play the right kind of xmas music. Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Pp0PbU4ys

;)

I love Christmas music! Doesn't matter what kind it is!

I can't stand christmas music... oh but I dont think i'll ever be able to quit listening to TobyMac :D

I still listen to... Over the Rhine a fair bit. Superb songwriting.

I wouldn't exactly call Over The Rhine a christian group. Maybe I need to hear some of their earlier stuff, since all I have of them is "Ohio," but here's a paragraph from the liner notes in it:

The records we ended up making document in part our attempts to unravel the tangle of religion we inherited. It's unsettling when someone named Jesus keeps turning up in unexpected places on a double album, but we're by no means the first songwriters to be Christ-haunted.

I still listen to... Over the Rhine a fair bit. Superb songwriting.

I wouldn't exactly call Over The Rhine a christian group. Maybe I need to hear some of their earlier stuff, since all I have of them is "Ohio," but here's a paragraph from the liner notes in it:

The records we ended up making document in part our attempts to unravel the tangle of religion we inherited. It's unsettling when someone named Jesus keeps turning up in unexpected places on a double album, but we're by no means the first songwriters to be Christ-haunted.

Well, I classified them as a Christian group because that's how they marketed. They played Cornerstone festival for several years, which is run by JPUSA (Jesus People USA). And there are definitely tones of struggling and reconciling with faith on all of their albums. But their writing is so honest and nuanced it really doesn't bother me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sixidahos

I still follow the music from time to time to see what's going on. Most of the music seems second rate with the same session musicians and producers pounding out the same product with wholesome looking imitations of mainstream pop stars. Even the edgier looking ones give me diabetes. With that said, here are my guilty pleasures. Amy Grant...at least she's a divorcee i.e. adulteress. I follow Cindy Morgan occasionally. I only like about 5% of her music, but at times she is alarmingly honest about her shortcomings. Does David Bazan count since he's had a falling out with God? His new CD is excellent.